Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Print totals on "The Passion" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Print totals on "The Passion"
Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-17-2004 06:24 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this topic. I was kind of amazed to hear about some of the advance volume ticket purchases being made for Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ." Reportedly, there is a 20-screen complex in Dallas that will have all screens playing the movie. I assume some of the shows will be via interlock.

Just how many prints are being made for this feature? I'm also wondering whether the film will have any "legs" to sustain a credible box-office run or if it will fizzle after the big opening.

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 02-17-2004 06:27 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I understand this is a one time thing and they are borrowing prints from other theaters to run.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-17-2004 06:38 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which 20-plex is doing it?

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2004 06:51 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More importantly, WHY?

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2004 07:16 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a NY Times Article on this a few weeks back ...

Some Baptist church purchased every seat in the Cinemark Tinseltown Plano for a 6:30 am show for their members the day it opens.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2004 07:16 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Just how many prints are being made for this feature? I'm also wondering whether the film will have any "legs" to sustain a credible box-office run or if it will fizzle after the big opening.
Here in Dallas this and any other bible movie will do very well. We were still selling about 75% of the seats for of Gospel of John until we lost the print. I do not however think that running it on 20 screens would be at all necessary.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-17-2004 09:01 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That would certainly tick me off royally if a print I was to play went to the Tinseltown first. I've seen the prints that come out of there lately (that place hasn't had a good presentation since they lost Darren Crimmins). Definitely not cool. I know why they are doing it though. That place is a clusterfuck of a design and interlocking would be very difficult, plus I don't think they have more than a few that are wired for it.

Oh the NASTY calls I would be making to Technicolor over THAT one.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 02-17-2004 09:31 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2000 screens are booked so the print order must be near that level. Foreign release is a month later which will allow some of these prints to be reused with suitable sub-titles.

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2004 12:06 AM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last I heard the Tinseltown USA has no interlock capability. I installed the original system, though it was never used during my time there, other than testing. Last I saw the rollers had been cannibalized and moved elsewhere

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-18-2004 09:34 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Foreign release is a month later which will allow some of these prints to be reused with suitable sub-titles.

Domestic prints are already sub-titled (photographically) in English. Are you suggesting they're going to laser on another language elsewhere in the frame?

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 02-18-2004 10:48 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Possible......I have seen multiple language sub-titling via laser.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-18-2004 01:32 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jesus that would be annoying.

Darren Crimmins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2004 02:27 PM      Profile for Darren Crimmins   Email Darren Crimmins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I worked that theater, and unless they are planning on getting 20 prints of that movie, I don't see it happening. I think it would be funny to see them try to interlock , though. [evil] [Eek!] That theater does have a sad, kinda capable system of interlocking, but only to 2 or 3 projectors at most. That theater is designed so bad that even attempting to do more is impossible. And as Brad said earlier, there is no functioning interlock circuitry in thier automation systems.

Even if Cinemark was able to find a way to interlock successfully, Cinemark operators, per Cinemark training, will not be able to handle running an interlock, at least at those mega-plexes. When I was there, they wanted "Usher -B's" to be able to thread, bulid-up and break-down, the minimum. This was to make them dispensible. Just enough training to get them to put features on the screen, as I was led to believe by higher management. I didn't agree with that train of thought, and trained acccordingly. Since I left, I am sure that they no longer have any more projectionists, sorry, "Usher-B's", who can handle an interlock, much anything else.

I would be interesting to see them try to do any "complicated" things, such as interlocking on any scale, and then see all of the money they would end up on losing by down shows due to incompetent operators. Theaters get what they pay for.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-18-2004 03:44 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't larger Cinemark multiplexes usually have a "booth manager" or something like that? Would that person be expected to know how to run an interlock?

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2004 05:24 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming someone will attempt it at that location, what sort of time delay between projector 1 & # 20?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: