Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Name Tags (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Name Tags
Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 02-13-2004 12:53 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are looking for new name tags for our employees. Does anyone have any suggestions for non-engraved theater name tags? Please enclose how/where to purchase them! THANKS!

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-13-2004 02:27 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could make custom nametags that include a photo ID or other picture by using the Kodak Picture Easy software:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/digital/dlc/plus/chapter4/lesson3/part3page5.shtml

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/digital/dlc/plus/chapter4/lesson3/part3page6.shtml

As you may know, most Kodak employees have business cards with a photo on them. I always get a positive response when trading business cards with someone. I have also used the card as an ID badge.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 02-13-2004 02:37 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually turns out I found what I was looking for...odd story though.

I wanted a theater based name tag and we used to have some at the last theater I worked for back in Massachusetts, they were the clapstick ones. I called up my old boss and asked for the contact information - he gave me a phone number but didn't have the company name.

I called the place and told them I was calling from the Strand Theater in Manitowoc WI and that I was looking for the name tags that Hollywood Hits in Danvers MA uses. The operator referred me to a sales lady who was very suprised that a company in Massachusetts was referring the theater in the companys home town to them... [Smile] They are based in Manitowoc and I didn't even know.

Good thing about it is that they're personally bringing over my order today, the day I called! [Big Grin] They have two kinds of theater name tags - the Clapstick name tags and an oval nametag with a popcorn background. Both can have the theater logo put on them. Good prices too! (Must promote local companies!)

Company: Cawley Company
Contact Phone: 800-822-9539

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2004 02:41 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try the Cawley Company as well ...

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 02-13-2004 02:51 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Mike, wrote the wrong name... Must have been editing it at the same time as you posted! [Big Grin]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-13-2004 07:24 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh well now the secret is out. I'll order some and start going to movies for free. Oh wait...I already see movies for free. Ok, do they have library name tags, too? Then I can get books for free. Oh wait...they already do that. Drat.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-13-2004 08:08 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have also used the card as an ID badge.

Which is kind of strange considering that anyone can make such cards on a computer. When I came here and wanted to open a bank account, they always wanted 2 picture IDs. They would accept my passport, but they wouldn`t accept the work visa because it was glued into the passport and therefore in their eyes not a separate ID. But they would have accepted a company or student ID which everyone can print out and laminate...
So, they would have accepted a homemade ID over a work visa (which also has a picture) which is issued by the State Department after literally months of checking my data by the INS and the Embassy and which on top of that is also tied to my current job and employer. So that is basically the most secure ID you can imagine. No wonder identity theft is such a big crime here.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-16-2004 12:30 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously, the ID Badge would only be for informal identification, not requiring any security. I sometimes use my photo business card as a clip-on ID when teaching a course or attending trade shows.

Kodak has provided secure ID badge technology and services for major events like the Olympics. My Kodak pass has a picture, encoded magnetic stripe, and a encoded RF identification module (like the "Mobil One-Pass" used to buy gasoline without needing to swipe your credit card, or the RF "rice" implants for pet ID).

I haven't let them implant my ID in my body yet. [uhoh] [Wink]

Gary Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2004 02:20 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford   Email Gary Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If done right the name badges can have a classy look to them, rather than cheesy "Hello, my name is..." tags that will all disappear before the shift is over.

Years ago I worked a theater that had a changeable black felt sign on a tripod that listed the staff working that day, right as you walked into the lobby. Nice.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-18-2004 03:36 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never understood the point of name tags in a retail environment. They seem tacky and "corporate" and really don't serve any useful purpose (are customers really supposed to call the employees by name?). It's kind of like waiters at restaurants who introduce themselves--unnecessary and a bit too personal for my taste.

As for business cards, I haven't seen the Kodak ones, but I like the picture idea. For a company in the photographic industry, it's a classy way to promote their product. Pictures on business cards would probably be considered tacky in the software industry, however.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2004 06:06 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard once that you should never have a job that requires you to wear a nametag after you are 30-years-old. I'm 41.

We are supposed to answer the phone around here by saying "Rialto Cinemas Lakeside, this is Ian." But I hate it when people say, "Ian..." It feels like I'm supposed to know them. So I just say "Rialto Cinemas Lakeside." Of course the solution is to say "This is the manager" or "This is Mr. Price." But Mr. Price is my father and I'm not quite ready for that yet.

I have had to wear name tags at conventions. I was once walking through a hotel lobby in Las Vegas, where I had never been before and some guy walks up to me and says "Ian Price, how are you?" like I was supposed to know him. It was because I was wearing my convention badge. Now I always tuck it in to a shirt pocket unless I need to get through a door.

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2004 06:54 PM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If a chain uses mystery shopper reports it makes it easier to reward (or punish) those who give good (or bad) service

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2004 08:11 PM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We are supposed to answer the phone around here by saying "Rialto Cinemas Lakeside, this is Ian."
supposed to? don't you make the rules? is your whole staff named ian?

quote:
As for business cards, I haven't seen the Kodak ones, but I like the picture idea.
how about picture marquees, like ian's?

carl

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2004 12:34 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As for business cards, I haven't seen the Kodak ones, but I like the picture idea. For a company in the photographic industry, it's a classy way to promote their product.
 -

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2004 12:50 AM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The place I work now requires me to wear a little badge that identifies me as a "Style Associate". [Roll Eyes]

I think that I'm supposed to answer the phone with "Thank you for calling Payless, this is Gracia, how may I help you?"

BUT, I never add the bit with my name, as it seems to baffle people. I do however add 'Good morning / afternoon / evening' (matched to the time of day), to the beginning of the spiel. [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: