Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Video Games In Lobby (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Video Games In Lobby
Gary Davidson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2004 12:18 AM      Profile for Gary Davidson   Email Gary Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the consensus on video games in theaters? Considering the real estate they take up in the lobby, are they profitable? And what about the violence quotient, do patrons ever complain?

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2004 01:23 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In some locations they are very profitable.

Richard Cieplechowicz
Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2004 02:09 AM      Profile for Richard Cieplechowicz   Email Richard Cieplechowicz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our arcade does well; however the real money maker seems to be our new Dance Dance Revolution game. I am having to do crowd control on it. My staff is also crazy about it and I am making the money spent on payroll back as they play.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 02-05-2004 02:31 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of our locations have dedicated game rooms rather than games hogging the lobby. Our games are handled by a former company employee who went from theatre co-ownership to running an amusements company.
The games can, as others have mantioned above be very profitable: I would rather have a lobby full of games for extra income than run rolling stock or have slide projector ads...

There have been only two complaints I can remember regarding games in one of our locations: The first was lodged in a letter to the editor to one of the local 'progressive' rags that they like to dump off at each location- The game that was complained about was 'Carn Evil', a twin-gun shoot-em-up where you shoot up zombies and other monsters- The complainant described: 'I saw children as young as maybe 8 or 10 shooting at 'human beings' [the zombies- to my recollection you cannot shoot any of the 'human' characters in this game] with an automatic weapon, I believe it was an Uzi [it is a pump shotgun] and as the body count racked up the child had a glazed look in his eyes as he continued on his rampage...' He went on about how all video games with guns should be outlawed and such... Granted this was shortly after Columbine, but still this guy was way over the top (and incorrect on many points in his description of the game).

The other was for the 'South Park' pinball machine: It was installed in the same week that 'South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut' opened, and the game was set with the 'adult' language option. The game was there (played by adults kids and ven entire families!) for almost three weeks before someone finally complained, the language option was set to the G-rated version and the volume turned down.

-Aaron

Gary Davidson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2004 10:03 AM      Profile for Gary Davidson   Email Gary Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that, guys. One other question: How do the video game companies charge for their machines? Do theaters pay a percentage on what they make? How much does a typical video game make for a theater?

Dino Panagiotopoulos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2004 10:45 AM      Profile for Dino Panagiotopoulos   Email Dino Panagiotopoulos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard,

We've had the Dance Dance game since the day we opened 3 years ago and it has been the hottest game ever since. We get kids that will spend hours on it and I believe there was even a tournament hosted there (there is a DDR League in Windsor). Another game that will bring in large revenue (if you can put up with the noise) is Air Hockey because it doesnt require much skill at all and is fun. If you have a large ethnic community (Greeks, Italians and such) a wise investment would be a foosball table. Here in Windsor Foosball is the most popular game to play and also brings in a very large revenue to the theater.

Gary, in most places like here, the video game companies charge a 50/50 percentage of all video game revenue. Not bad considering you really dont have to do much to run them. They come in every so often and empty everything out, fix anything, and give you your cut and they are out. I wouldnt assume everyone as like this as some might charge differently. I would go and talk to as many amusement companies and see if you can try to bargain a little.

Gary Davidson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2004 10:52 AM      Profile for Gary Davidson   Email Gary Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino,

I'll take your advice and check out a few amusement companies. How much can you make a month on a machine, a couple of hundred bucks? Less than that?

Chris Markiewicz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2004 11:20 AM      Profile for Chris Markiewicz   Email Chris Markiewicz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Video games can make a ton of money. If you have the space, I think the lobby is a better location than an isolated game room with no security camera [Mad] At least in the lobby staff can keep an eye on the games so they don't get trashed as quickly...

Gary Davidson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2004 11:47 AM      Profile for Gary Davidson   Email Gary Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, what dou you mean by a "ton of money?" We talkin' six figures here?

Dino Panagiotopoulos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2004 12:01 PM      Profile for Dino Panagiotopoulos   Email Dino Panagiotopoulos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are in a mall so we get tons of kids that are just hanging out that want to come in and drop some coin. As far as revenue goes, I just work in the booth so I wouldnt know any amount that comes in. Ive been there when they do come for a pick up and I see the amount of traffic the games get so I could imagine a few thousand dollars a month but this is just my location.

Gary Davidson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2004 12:16 PM      Profile for Gary Davidson   Email Gary Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm... interesting. Thanks, Dino.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 02-05-2004 12:51 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary: The take per machine will of course vary depending on the age and size (a sit-down version of a driving game vs. the 'upright' version of the same game) of the machine and the clientele of the location is a factor as well, you aren't gonna see much profit from video games if they are in an arthouse (matter of fact many arthouse patrons hate having them in any location) compared to having them in a first run plex...

-Aaron

Travis Hubrig
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2004 01:17 PM      Profile for Travis Hubrig   Email Travis Hubrig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At our Seven plex, about $300. month average...
we have better months than others. We are also located in a mall. Our 3 machines are in the lobby.

We recently got a picture machine... piece of crap.
More trouble than the standard video games.

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2004 01:36 PM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whilst they make money they can also be trouble since non-patrons turn up to use them and it is harder to control who is in the foyer. In addition you get lots of people claiming that the machines 'swallowed' their money and wanting a 'refund'.

Gary Davidson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2004 02:08 PM      Profile for Gary Davidson   Email Gary Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How much do video machines typically charge the customer per game. Is it fifty cents?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: