Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Sundance

Author Topic: Sundance
James Pope
Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2004 11:08 PM      Profile for James Pope   Author's Homepage   Email James Pope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently joined the ranks of rocky mountain cinemas newest project the redstone 8 in park city, utah we are scheduled to play sundance next year, I was just wondering if anybody had any dealings with sundance projectionist or reps before. ive heard a few things from the park city people but I wanted to see if there were any encounters anybody had with them and what to expect.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-03-2004 11:12 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You will need at least 10 [beer] before you report to work to project every day. Then another 10 [beer] during the projection day and then at least another 10 [beer] before you could even consider getting behind the wheel of your car to drive back down Parleys! Hehehe...have fun!

Mark @ CLACO

James Pope
Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2004 11:28 PM      Profile for James Pope   Author's Homepage   Email James Pope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm from the multi-plex automated age of projection. well now i guess. anyyo I hear they call starting a movie a performance? i just dont get it they have the same equiptment my 16 year old does.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-04-2004 01:53 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Sundance USED to be great... But their bowing down to "THE CHURCH" has totally turned me against it.

What a bunch of hypocrites! Fuck 'em!

>>> Phil

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-04-2004 07:17 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't they run everything off 12000' reels with double-MUTs? Sounds like a real pain for a festival, since you get all the worst "features" of platter and changeover operation: leaders still need to be cut and prints need to be made up, but films still have to be rewound after each show. I guess that method works well for their purposes; otherwise, they would presumably go either all-platter or all-changeover.

Remember to send in pics of the theatre (including shots of the construction process) and of the Sundance activities.

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2004 01:59 PM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are interested in being a projectionist at the Sundance Film Festival then you need to contact Bill Hill at the following URL.

filmprojection.com

The Sundance projection reels have a capacity of about 2 3/4 hours. Last year's Cremaster 3 was on two reels.

At the Cinemark Holiday Village 4, the platter decks are removed and the platters moved aside to allow room for the Eprad Double MUTs.

Most of the Sundance venues are not operating cinemas, but temporary installations.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-04-2004 10:07 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Bowing down to the church" ??????

I certainly see little if any of that in what they do or run there or anyplace else around here for that matter. What gets run around here is pretty much what you'd see in any other big city.

Mark

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-04-2004 10:14 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, sure, Mark...whatever... [Wink]

Sorry, but I've done work for them AND they do make everything a holy war and reaffirm that it is THEIR town. [fu]

>>> Phil

James Pope
Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2004 12:22 AM      Profile for James Pope   Author's Homepage   Email James Pope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i am not wanting to become a projectionist at sundance I'll will have but I will have them in my booth next year and was wondering what to expect from them like if im even allowed to touch any of my equptiment they are using during the two weeks and things like that

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2004 11:46 AM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is "the church" a metaphor or are you referring to a specific religious group? If you mean the latter (no pun intended) then I really can't see the link between church and Sundance you're talking about. Park City might as well be in another state when it comes to religion.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-11-2004 06:47 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg is absolutely right about this one. Phil musta worked the first day of the first Sundance that was ever held. I agree with you about Park City practically being its own state.

Mark @ CLACO

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-11-2004 07:10 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I was not referring to the festival when I said I worked for "them". [puke]

And I agree, Park City/Sundance SHOULD be in a different city/state. [beer]

Nuff said without getting into a religious discussion. Mark, if you want, I'll lay it out to you when I see you. This ain't the place... or actually worth it. [Smile]

>>> Phil

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 02-11-2004 07:19 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why move the platters for the Mutts. When I used to use the Double mutt I could use the rollers on the platters to get the film to and from the projector. OF course I don't know how much room is available in that booth so they may not of had that option.

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2004 09:47 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cryptic, unspecified allegations about a church? Unfortunate experiences with members of said church? You stated a sweeping condemnation against "them" and now you won't even say what your beef is. Indeed, this isn't the place for any of that.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: