Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Lost In Translation both in first run theatres AND on DVD... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Lost In Translation both in first run theatres AND on DVD...
Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2004 12:04 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious to know what other film-tech-ers think and feel about Lost In Translation being released on DVD this week. I mean, it's still playing in all first run houses here in San Francisco and still drumming up decent business.

Will the DVD release hurt future box office receipts?

Are they trying to market to both the movie theatre crowd and the stay at home crowd at the same time? Is this something we're going to have to expect going forward?

Should they have waited until after the Oscars to release the DVD?

|  IP: Logged

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2004 12:37 PM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sucks! We have actually been doing really good business with it these past few weeks. Well, just for that, I hope it doesn't win any Oscars, forcing Sofia Coppola to retreat into her father's shadow. [Big Grin]

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2004 12:51 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Hollywood economics the video dollars now far surpass theatrical rentals. Look for more of this sort of thing to come.

Sony releases Mona Lisa Smile on video on March 9th - a little more than 2 1/2 months from its initial December 19th release date. [Frown]

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2004 01:06 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may be all wet and I hope I am, but I have believed for sometime now that the film co's are working hard at training the consumers to wait for Dvd's. Since the time that DVD sales surpassed theatre gross's, I think the trend has increased.
Theatres today are simply another promotional tool for DVD, pay-per-view, etc. As HD tv's become more the norm, I'm afraid their plan will really start to work. As a new owner myself of a 60" HD Tv, I see first hand how this may happen. A DVD on HDTV puts most multiplexs to shame, at least the ones around here. Definitely a film in HD beats the pants off of all the local cinemas.
On the other hand, the planning for the DVD release obviously starts during production. Production is changed for the benefit of the DVD, and probably the release date for the DVD is set, before the film ever hits theatres.

You can see some of this trend working by very few films having any legs in theatres these days. Of course, it doesn't help that most films are total crap.

Hope I'm wrong, but I don't like the trend.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2004 04:36 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our business on Lost in Translation has actually increased these past two weeks. We are holding it next week and we will see how it does.

I have always thought that films shouldn't come out on video for a year after initial release.

However I propose a new business model, since the film distributors are using the theatres as a promotional tool for the DVD release, how about we charge them for the privilege. I don't propose that we stop paying film rental, but how about a kickback based on how soon the film comes out on video. So Lost in Translation is coming out on video, the theatres still playing it should be compensated for lost revenue.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-03-2004 08:01 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Lost in Translation" never made it to my town (like so many other indie films). So I plan to rent the DVD tonight, along with "American Splendor."

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-10-2004 12:02 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make that First Run, Sub Run and DVD. In the Chicago suburbs you can see it for 8.75 or whatever the typical first run house charges or drive a few miles and catch it for two or three bucks.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 02-10-2004 12:58 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
At what point will a lawsuit be filed against a distributor for this practice? Would it stand up in court?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-10-2004 01:12 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've had it since it opened (and the print is still mint), though this might be the last week.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2004 02:20 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are actually OPENING Lost in Translation this week. Figure that one out.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2004 02:20 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are actually OPENING Lost in Translation this week. Figure that one out.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-10-2004 05:26 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Ian Price: Our business on Lost in Translation has actually increased these past two weeks. We are holding it next week and we will see how it does.

Last Wednesday (2/4) our evening show of Lost in Translation sold out hard. We had to turn people away. (850 seat house.)

The afternoon show sold about 300 seats. We usually only get a few dozen people at that time. The only reason we have an afternoon show is for the elderly crowd who don't want to go out late at night.

So... 1150 out of a possible 1700 (68%) isn't bad for a movie where the DVD is just hitting the shelves. No?

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2004 06:14 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a second run operator I sometimes find that if I am playing a movie when the video is about to be released, it sometimes helps my theatre business if there is a large TV buy for the video release. And there has been a lot of TV ads recently for LIT.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2004 03:08 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It only opened in the UK on Jan 9 and we opened with it last Friday. God I love these delayed overseas release dates [Roll Eyes]

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2004 03:38 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I just realized this, too! My friend said he saw it, and I asked at what theaer. He said on DVD, so I thought he got a screener bootleg or something... no, he bought it at the store!! WTF?!?

I think it's a dumb idea, but then again I guess they want as many people to see it before oscars as possible and expanding the release weekly won't cut it.

Still, it's a slap in the face to exhibitors. "Thanks for booking our print, but we don't really need you anymore. Hope it does well at your theater." [Mad] Ian has a great point about compensation. If they want to pull this crap, the 90/10 should flip flop so that EXHIBITORS get the 90. That will teach 'em!

Seems like all Bill Murray movies have had odd releases lately. Last I remember was Rushmore being delayed, then released limited, then expanded, then out of theaters, then back in to limited theaters, then added a few more screens, then out to video. I remember building it up on three different occasions at the 18 I was at.

So is this the "fastest-to-video" release we've had? Not counting videos that are later released to theaters like "Left Behind."

=TMP=

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: