Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Between show cleanup (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Between show cleanup
Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2004 04:54 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use cheap carpet sweepers(can't seem to buy a good one)to pick up popcorn,lollies etc.Has anyone found an easier way or know of industrial quality sweepers etc that do a good job.

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-25-2004 05:01 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Parlour brooms are where it's at!

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2004 05:15 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daryl in OZ a Parlour is a place you go to buy [sex] -sorry for being Broom Deficient but what is a Parlor Broom?What does it look like?My auditoriums are carpeted is a P-B suitable?

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 01-25-2004 05:29 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, don't you think they might need to sweep their floors once in a while?

Think those stupid little straw brooms they use at McDonald's. Now think four times the area of the straw area and a full size handle to boot.

For carpet, a warehouse broom works better than a parlour broom. Same thing, just with stiffer straw and slightly bigger.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 01-25-2004 09:19 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We tried an "industrial" carpet sweeper about a year ago. Cost around $175. It picked up pretty well but it wasn't made any better than the cheap one that can be had at Walmart & K-Mart. We kept it a week and returned it. Recently at Walmart at 2am I saw them using an upright vacuum that was quiet enough to use during shows. I asked the user how well it worked, He said it didn't suck enough to bother with and it was only 3 days old and set for the correct carpet height. I guess a vacuum has to be noisy to work well.

Travis Hubrig
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2004 11:51 AM      Profile for Travis Hubrig   Email Travis Hubrig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use 'Hoky' Brand sweepers, seem to work good, but you need to keep them clean inside and we do replace them from time to time.
I believe the model is power-rotor 3000
http://www.hoky.com/3000.htm

I have also seen other things used as well, before we started using Hoky, we would sweep with brooms.
I have even heard of people using snow shovels, but I would try that without anyone around, it probably looks pretty silly!

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2004 12:03 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use Rubbermaid carpet sweepers. If we get 6-months out of one, we count ourselves lucky. Whatever, we just go out and order a new one from our janitorial supplier.

Right now we have a situation where the schedule was written to maximize the show times. As a result we have only about 15-minutes between shows, they all get out and start around the same time. It's busier than ever and we are in total scramble mode.

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2004 08:17 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SilverCity Polo Park (14) here had a HUGE carpet sweeper that they used frequently when the megaplex first opened. I haven't seen it used recently at all... it had a handle like on a lawn mower (horizontal rod you hold, supported both the left and right sides), it was mechanical and did a great job. When I went out for a refill while the shows were running... They were cleaning the runway with it (which was littered with tons of corn), they'd run over a big batch and then it was spotless right after.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 01-26-2004 01:04 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
have even heard of people using snow shovels, but I would try that without anyone around, it probably looks pretty silly!
There's been a few theatres I've run where we used snow shovels, but not until after we used the leaf blower. Sure it kicked up a bit of dust, but totally cleaning a 500 seat theatre in under 30 minutes after 2000 people have been through it that day sure as heck beats out any other method.

The ol' leaf blower isn't to shabby at cleaning screens either. Good for after you've kicked up all that dust.

John Scott
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2004 10:01 AM      Profile for John Scott   Email John Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no problems using leaf blowers in an auditorium so long as you have curtains for your screens. Otherwise you are just going to dirty your screen and potentially damage it. I think the extra 5 minutes to clean the auditorium properly without the blowers justifies not using the blowers in the long run.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2004 12:50 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As long as uncurtained screens are high enough, and let's face it--where else are you going to hide the subs, you can get away with leaf blowers as long as you use some care and the place is decently cleaned on a regular basis to keep the dust down.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-26-2004 01:24 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blowers will certainly raise a "dust storm", with the really small dirt particles (less than 10 micrometers) remaining airborne for a while before accumulating on surfaces and on/in the screen. If the airflow in the theatre is such that the air is being sucked through the screen perforations, they WILL accumulate dirt. Likewise, the airborne dirt WILL be sucked into your HVAC returns.

One way to evaluate how much dust is in the air during and after blower cleaning is to shine the projector's light on the screen, and observe the floating dirt particles. You may be shocked. [Eek!]

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2004 03:27 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not use a leaf sucker?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-26-2004 04:08 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you use a vacuum or "sucker", be sure the air being vented is well filtered (e.g., HEPA). Better yet, use a central vacuum system, so there's no chance of putting the dirt back into the auditorium/booth.

Matthew Peters
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2004 07:50 PM      Profile for Matthew Peters   Email Matthew Peters   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use an ordinary garden shovel. (non-curved)

It gives good results on carpet, especially when some little [bs] spills their large popcorn in the foyer. We do have a leaf blower, but never use it - too uncontrollable. By the time you blow all the popcorn to one corner and shovel it into the bin, it could have been just as quick to go up and down each aisle with the shovel.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: