Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Church bookings for The Passion (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Church bookings for The Passion
Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2004 01:05 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am getting a massive amount of calls from local churches wanting to set up (and promote) showings of "The Passion". Anybody else experiencing this. The movie doesn't even open for another month. I of course appreciate the business but considering the amount of calls that we are getting now, I am definitely not looking forward to a week or so before it opens.

|  IP: Logged

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-23-2004 01:16 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of people are obviously looking forward to see the movie so they don`t have to read the book but can still talk about it (what characters are in it, how it ends, etc). Kind of how school kids often try to find a film version of a book they are supposed to read.

Ron Keillor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2004 01:35 PM      Profile for Ron Keillor   Email Ron Keillor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This reminds me of the 1950's release of MARTIN LUTHER, which in our small town had a whale of an opening as all the Evangelicals who were against Hollywood finally had a chance to see one.
Similarly, THE CROSS AND THE SWITHBLADE which played in a small town theatre here. They were astute enough to spend a bit on the local religious radio station, got the attention of the church crowd, and were swamped with groups once word got around.

Travis Hubrig
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2004 01:43 PM      Profile for Travis Hubrig   Email Travis Hubrig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My company set up a toll-free hotline to set up group sales.
As a manager I am only allowed to direct any interested groups to the hotline. All shows are being set up through corporate.

This is also the first show we have sold advance tickets for. It is kind of nice to start advance tickets with this, hopefully we will start advance sales for more movies after this.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2004 03:18 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have gotten a few inquiries about screenings for The Passion of Christ. However we have to tell them to hold their horses because we haven't booked the film yet.

With 2,000 prints going out it sounds like a wide, general release. That means there might be as few as 4 and as many as 7-runs in the County. That also means we will not be getting it.

I'm sure we will find out Tuesday after the Oscar Nominations come out and all the bookers get back from Sundance.

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2004 04:14 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tell them that most sessions are sold out or partially booked till week 2 or 3, then book em at a reduced percentage.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-23-2004 04:44 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are going to play it in all our locations. People call all the time and ask about it.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2004 04:50 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The alleged "controversy" is what some are calling "anti-semetic". But the story is taken straight from the Bible and is not altered by the producer. So don't be afraid of it and notify all your local Christian churches and you should do good business. If the "anti-semetic" complainers want to chew on someone refer them to God.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-23-2004 07:35 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I fear this film may be anti-Roman and fan the flames of anti-Romanism!

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2004 09:01 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then perhaps we should put in some calls to the RCLU? [Big Grin]

John Spooner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2004 10:14 AM      Profile for John Spooner   Email John Spooner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Robert.
Exactly right and well said.
Regards. John S. <>

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-25-2004 10:27 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Romanes eunt domus!

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2004 04:58 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People called Romanes, they go to the house?

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2004 01:37 AM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps, you could make it a double feature and run DOGMA before PASSION of CHRIST. [Wink]

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2004 08:13 AM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a different take on this subject. We received this e-mail yesterday. The name of the author has been deleted. Have any of you run into this situation as yet? Comments?

" Now that the advance screenings of Mel Gibson's film "The Passion of the Christ" have confirmed everyone's worst fears about its incendiary anti-semitic content, Mel Gibson's name will forever be associated with anti-semitism. I would like to request that you remove his image from your home page as he is no longer an artistic icon deserving of respect, but a religious zealot whose wealth and fame have blinded him to western civilization's most enduring evil, an evil repudiated by the Second Vatican Council (although Gibson's sect considers the Vatican too modern and progressive!!!)

Rabbi Marvin Hier, Dean of the Simon Wiesenthal Center said he was "HORRIFIED" after watching the film. Abraham Foxman, National Director of the Anti-Defamation League, said after screening the film that "it will strengthen and legitimize anti-Semitic feelings...and set back the dialogue between Jews and Christians by decades."

I presume it is unnecessary to inform any businessperson who has researched the demographics of East Brunswick and environs that publicly insulting Jews by taking part in the distribution of this film would be met with a consumer boycott and backlash commensurate with that deserved by any business and franchisees participating in the dissemination of blatantly hateful anti-semitic propaganda. Given the long years of thoughtful, dedicated planning that went into the creation of Mega Movies, I'm sure you are aware of your public, and we can count on you to avoid this film like the plague. "

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: