Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Funniest Things You Ever Been Asked to Do (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Funniest Things You Ever Been Asked to Do
Chris Medley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2004 09:36 PM      Profile for Chris Medley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Medley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the funniest request you have ever had??

I have had some strange requests from customers but this one takes the cake.
The other day I was helping a customer and one of the concessionist came over the radio and asked me to come to the back stand.

Me- I'm with a customer right now what did you need?
Concessionist- Well there is a lady back here and she wanted to know if you could help her get her cell phone back.
Me- If it is lost ask her for a discription and I will check.
Concessionist- No, it's she didn't loose it. She flushed it down the toliet.

|  IP: Logged

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2004 10:27 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess some people think a theatre's plumbing/sewage/septic system is magically different than the ones in their homes. Other than higher volume, they're basically the same.

Have you ever been sent to the company's other theatre across town to get some Technicolor since your theatre was about to run out? [Smile]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-20-2004 11:06 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, we use Color by Deluxe.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-20-2004 11:26 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man, oh man! Losing a cell phone down the crapper!?

Lemme' tell ya'! The main sewer line is uphill from my old theater! In order to get the effuluent from the building out to the main line there is a lift station with two huge sewer pumps. They are capable of grinding up rocks, sticks and other garbage up to (I think) 3 inches in diameter!

I'd hate to tell that lady that her cellular phone is in 1,000,000 tiny, little pieces! [Eek!]

Edward Jurich
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2004 11:26 AM      Profile for Edward Jurich   Email Edward Jurich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the old theaters in Chicago (the Hiway) had a sign in the booth that said "The Film Stretcher Is At The Colony". The film stretcher of course was to stretch features that ran short, or so people who asked were told. (that sign can be seen top right corner of my picture)

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-21-2004 02:39 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine named Bill from a neighboring town wanted to throw a surprise 40th birthday party for his wife. (I've known his wife since grade school and they are good customers, so I was glad to help out.) He told her he needed to come to town for an eye doctor appointment, and he needed her to drive him home.

Bill had asked me to put HAPPY 40TH BIRTHDAY LAURIE on the marquee, and then had all her friends meet in the theatre an hour early, during which time they decorated the inside lobby with black streamers, balloons, signs and such.

So they came driving up. I was watching from the upstairs window. Laurie had this horrified look on her face when she saw the marquee, which was priceless. Then, (according to plan) Bill told her they needed to come inside to tell me she had seen it, and it was OK to change the sign back to normal. They walked in and everyone yelled SURPRISE! I thought she was going to shit a brick. It was hilarious.

Robert D. LaValley
Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2004 12:41 AM      Profile for Robert D. LaValley   Email Robert D. LaValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this happened at my two screen

Customer walks out of a movie says " Man that was a great pic, would you be upset if I snuck into that one now? Since this theatre is so small I figured I would just ask since the big ones dont care."

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-28-2004 04:07 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That lady probably wasn`t too excited about the fact that everyone could see it was her 40th birthday...

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-28-2004 04:14 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You should have posted HAPPY 50TH BIRTHDAY LAURIE on the marquee. Then you would have really seen a priceless look.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2004 01:44 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone once paid to have a "Will you marry me?" slide made and put in front of a show he brought his girlfriend to. She said yes; I was hoping she would've dumped him for supporting slide advertising! [evil]

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2004 06:36 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if this was the funniest thing that ever happen to me at work, but it was definitely the strangest. I once had a couple of customers come out, after their movie was over, and the guy asked me if I would marry his sister (no joke). I guess the story was that she was from Greece and wanted to be a citizen. She actually was fairly attractive (but about 10 years older than I was) but I didn't think that my girlfriend would have approved [Wink] so I passed. I will always wonder if they were ever able to actually find somebody to do it.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2004 02:59 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Idiot Employee: Can you rewind the movie since I'm late?
Me: Yeah...But only if you'll show me your boobs and give me a thousand dollars.

(During a hosting speech in a packed auditorium)
Scary old lady: Take it off!
Some dude: Dear god, no!
Me: I don't think so...

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2004 03:04 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Idiot Employee: Can you rewind the movie since I'm late?
Me: Yeah...But only if you'll show me your boobs and give me a thousand dollars.

So are you just making that up or (luckily for you) had the employee in question never heard of 'sexual harrasment'?

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2004 08:31 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hah...No.
She's the same girl that ran upstairs and tackled me for not answering my radio. [Eek!] Playful buch we had there.

Mind you when I was still working for that company the GM's fiance stabbed me in the eye with a permenant marker...Accidentally of course, and lucky me there was nothing more than a nice scrape and a big black line across my face.
This is why you don't play with markers...As you can tell WTC is not the most professional place [Smile]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-02-2004 01:56 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was once having a coffee break sitting in the bar of a smallish two-screen arthouse. The bar was quite full - about 50 customers in there, I'd guess. The manager then appeared and called across the length of the room, 'LEO, THE TAMPAX MACHINE IN THE LADIES IS BUST - COULD YOU FIX IT, PLEASE?' 'Sure, but could I just finish my coffee first?' I replied. 'NO, SORRY, THERE'S A LADY IN THERE, SAYS IT'S URGENT', replied the manager. Needless to say, by this stage I had the undivided attention of all present. When I emerged from the loo having fixed it, I got a round of applause - and so did the customer. I don't know which of us was more embarrassed!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: