Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » ShowWest 2004 / Film-Tech Drink (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: ShowWest 2004 / Film-Tech Drink
Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2004 02:00 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone have the date(s) handy? We're going to be in Vegas the 23rd-27th of Feb.

edit Nevermind... I found out that it's the 3rd week of March.... Oh well... [Frown]

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 01-19-2004 09:31 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey - It's never to early to make plans! What day should I ask off for the gathering? [Big Grin]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-19-2004 10:17 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The Film-Tech Drink will be as always on Wednesday evening. It will be at Bally's as it has been the last few years. Details will be available at the Jack Roe booth (next to the restrooms) on Wednesday, as Bally's won't reserve us a specific room until that day. I will make it a point to post a note on the website sometime Wednesday morning/afternoon once we know.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 01-20-2004 12:43 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, we hopefully will have an SUV for the ShoWest trip this year (Costco, anyone?) and this time no turn signals that can be heard for six miles [Wink]

We also should get a list prior to arrival for Quark's so we can have a ballpark number to reserve for at a better time this year.

-Aaron

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-21-2004 07:37 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm planning on attending.

Brian D. Whitish
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2004 12:00 PM      Profile for Brian D. Whitish   Email Brian D. Whitish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ill be at Showest this year, count me in.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2004 01:07 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'll try again this year...

Who's gonna pay for me to go? [Big Grin]

=TMP=

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 01-21-2004 02:13 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know what the cost of the single day trade show only pass is? $225 for all three days is a little out of my range.

Also, what "credentials" do I need to bring to prove that I'm in the industry? Will a pay stub do?

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2004 03:56 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a one-day trade show pass, ask a trade show exhibitor for a guest pass.

You don't think Brad forked over $800 for a ticket, do you? [Razz]

[ 01-21-2004, 05:45 PM: Message edited by: Ian Price ]

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2004 12:55 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be there

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2004 03:52 PM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As usual, I will be working there in some fashion or another. I may actually get to meet more than 2 members for once. For the last 3 years, I have just missed everybody that usually goes by just a few minutes or something happens at my theatre where I have to go back (like an audit last year).

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2004 04:32 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Out of curiousity..

How many of you MANAGERS out there are able to go to ShowWest on the company? I'm betting next to none, unless you work for a "indie". It's a shame that in 16 years, not once has anyone inside this company, aside from corporate exec's, been afforded the opportunity to attend. Realistically, I can see why, but you'd think that it could be used as a company "reward" of sorts.. After all, it is written off as a business expense for them anyway... [Roll Eyes]

If not, could this expense be written off one's taxes if one chose to attend and paying out of their own pocket?

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2004 05:21 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So Regal Entertainment Group has 530 theatres. So that's 530 times $800 for ShoWest, $200 for the average plane ticket to Las Vegas, $400 for staying at Ballys, if they are lucky.

So than some hot, young executive comes along and says, I can save the company $750,000 per year. How, you ask? By not sending the managers to ShoWest.

United Artists used to send one manager per district with "date" to ShoWest. They were the winners for the UA Presidents Club.

That said, there are plenty of theatre managers at ShoWest. They come from Regal, Century and Crown and are all working in the Las Vegas area.

But remember N.A.T.O stands for National Association of Theatre Owners. These are the people, like me, that get to make the decisions as to what kind of popcorn popper to buy, which seat to buy and which projector system I can't afford to place in my theatre. Theatre managers don't make these kinds of decisions.

If there were a National Association for Theatre Managers (NATM), then they could all gather, debate the finer points of staff discipline, and see a few films.

However, as a manager, you can always swing the cheap ticket to Las Vegas, Stay at the Bourbon Street for $50 per night and finagle a Trade Show Pass from one of your buddies who work for Dolby, your cinema supplier or candy rep.

Yea, I used to bitch and whine about not getting to go to ShoWest when I was a theatre manager too. You can crash just about any party you want, you just have to show up.

Before you start thinking of me as a heartless bastard, we are planning on taking a manager to ShoWest this year.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 01-22-2004 06:15 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to try and make it this year. But who can I speak to for a trade-show pass???

Aaron? Hook me up.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-22-2004 07:46 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not going this year cuz:

1) That cheap-ass Maar won't give me a pass.
2) Brad told me to stay away...or else!
3) The mayor of Las Vegas still wants me to pay for last year's damages!
4) Some people don't like my piercings: Studs, bars, and "rings"... I'm a "bad" influence on the "youngin's" ya know...
5) Joe and Josh will tease me about my tattoos.

What a bunch of jerks!

>>> Phil

[ 01-22-2004, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: Phil Hill ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: