Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Our Spiderman Banner Has Gone Missing... What To Do? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Our Spiderman Banner Has Gone Missing... What To Do?
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 01-09-2004 08:32 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now, I know for a fact that we received a Spiderman II banner. And I know that it was sittng with the rest of the banners for about two or three weeks. And I know that yesterday, our self proclaimed "promotions manager" was re-organizing, and got rid of a lot of old banners. And I also know that she likes to take BIG stuff to give to her boy friend for whatever he does with them - but usually does not take anything until the film's been released. The Spiderman banner is now gone, and I know that it wasn't accidentally thrown in the dumpster - because it's not there. I didn't see her take it. My dilema... in the GM's eyes, this manager can generally do no wrong.

What would you do?

|  IP: Logged

John Carpenter
Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2004 09:10 AM      Profile for John Carpenter   Email John Carpenter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sorry about your "loss" but theres not much you can do... except look for it on ebay [Wink]

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2004 09:43 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People will steal anything to give to someone for sex in return. My guess is that she got a little too "comfortable" being the promotions manager and decided to give herself a bonus, knowing that there was no way you could proove it.

Then again, for highly sought-after stuff like that, you should keep it locked in the office. Star Wars, LOTR, Spiderman... any stuff that's bound to grow legs when unattended.

I'll admit, when I was a promotions manager I would snag posters that we had doubles of, but NEVER before a film's release. It would piss me off when the other managers would ransack the poster storage room, then we had nothing to display when the movie actually got there. [Mad]

You could say something subtle like, "Oh, can you bring that back when you're done with it?" No accusations, but just rhetorical questions to see if she slips up. If she says she didn't take it, just say, "Oh, someone said that someone wanted to borrow it for a party or something. I thought it was you since you like that stuff..." Watch for body language, too. Talk about the banner profusely around her... [Wink]

=TMP=

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2004 12:07 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The room that holds our posters and banners has a sign on it:

"Protected by Guard Dogs"

There are only two keys to it. I have one and one of my assistants. If something goes missing - I know where to look.

[Wink]

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 01-09-2004 12:08 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second John: Start looking on Ebay and see if someone in your area puts a Spiderman II banner up for sale. I know of at least two instances of 'high-dollar-potential' advertising materials (a Phantom Menace banner and a LOTR:FOTR multi-poster set) that 'disappeared' from theatres and later ended up fetching several hundred bucks on Ebay.

Another place to look would be on said suspect's wall at home, but that may be difficult to pull off.

-Aaron

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 01-09-2004 12:34 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After a couple of those episodes, we just stopped letting the staff go through the promotional materials altogether. Too bad... but I figure the incidental damage caused by not having those materials in the lobby cost me a lot more than giving that stuff away... so for now, we don't do it.

...of course, I now have a rather substantial collection of poster tubes!

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2004 02:42 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have some sort of log system to keep track of incoming promotional materials? For some theatres its a waste of time-we used to keep an excel file with our current poster inventory but it was too much of a hassle to keep current. Sounds like it might be a good idea to pitch the idea to your GM though. When pitching it don't suggest preventing thievery as the reason but instead frame the proposal as a way of knowing what promotional materials you have to order on your own and what has been automaticaly sent already.

Beth Smith
Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2004 05:04 PM      Profile for Beth Smith   Email Beth Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If she is the "promotions manager" then that banner is ultimately her responsibility. She ought to have some answers as to why something she should be keeping track of went missing. I would be asking her that question. She must not being doing that great of a job.

As for your GM..I don't know what to tell you. As a GM I would want to know if something like that went missing and you can bet she wouldn't be the promotions manager if she let something like that go missing.

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2004 05:37 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something like that, I would deffinatly make sure that the GM knew was missing. However tread carefully when possibly pointing any fingers. Considering you don't have any concrete proof that she took the banner, its next to impossible to say who took it.

While it is aggrevating that pomotional materials go missing, its not the end of the world.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2004 10:15 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did any of you guys ever think that maybe, juts maybe, some thieving ass patron swiped it? Or did I not see something about it being taken from a secure room?

I've had and caught many a person trying to steal banners, standees, posters, & anything else we leave unattended for more than a few seconds! What a bunch of theiving bastards they can be!

At any rate, it is still [ her responsibilty to keep track of it. In doing so, she should be able to at least determine what shift or night it came up missing.

My nickel...

R. Andrew Diercks
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2004 11:18 PM      Profile for R. Andrew Diercks   Email R. Andrew Diercks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As to the subject at hand, if the GM is covering up for a thief and you can gain any proof of this drop a line to the DM. I couldn't respect a GM that would allow this to occur (if he/she knew about it). If the GM isn't aware of this it should be taken care of. Others may follow suit if word gets out that there weren't any repercussions.

Not to change the subject, but what do all of you do with promotional materials when your run is complete? Does anyone ever give anything to the public as a PR thing? Just curious. Also has anyone heard of a studio taking any action against those that sell these items? If you feel this should warrant a thread, please do so. [Wink]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-10-2004 01:35 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only other thing you can do is to come to work in a Spiderman costume and walk around in it all day. That will also alert people to the fact that the next Spiderman movie is coming.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 01-10-2004 01:32 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the replies, folks. I agree it's not the end of the world, but crap like this goes on all the time at this theater - which is a real shame.

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2004 07:44 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That same thing happened with a Lilo & Stitch poster. No problem,just print a blowup of one from the net & tape the pages together.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2004 03:57 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you know how utterly hideous and retarded that would look, Matthew?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: