Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Famous Players adds DLP Video Projectors for Pre-Show Entertainment!

Author Topic: Famous Players adds DLP Video Projectors for Pre-Show Entertainment!
Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2004 10:19 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This topic is sort of old, yet, I'll bring it up for many reasons... Why would a company spend $23,000 on a VIDEO projector to show advertising before its movies? Thats a lot of money for all the screens it has, They offer a limited selection (its boring.. most people dislike having to watch the pre-show) and why play cheesy ELEVATOR music along with it?

-----------------------------------

FAMOUS PLAYERS INTRODUCES DIGITAL MEDIA PRE-SHOWS
AT 47 LOCATIONS ACROSS CANADA
588 SCREENS EQUIPPED TO AIR
FULL MOTION, FULL AUDIO, HI-RES SPOTS BEFORE SCHEDULED MOVIES
April 3, 2003 (Toronto ) – Famous Players, Canada’s largest and most successful theatrical exhibitor, today
announced a total of 588 of its screens, at 47 locations across Canada, have been equipped with state-of-the-art
digital projectors to air full motion, full sound pre-shows before scheduled movies. The new format allows for
brighter, hi-resolution images than standard, static slide-based pre-shows.
The digital pre-shows play off of a DVD and are projected on to the Big Screen with high resolution Panasonic
750 Digital Projectors before scheduled previews and films. Content ranges from in-house created spots, like the
familiar “Famous Faces” quizzes, to public service announcements and full motion paid advertising. The
Panasonic projectors will also improve the quality of other alternative programming events - such as WWE
broadcasts, live concerts, corporate satellite broadcasts and more - as well as offer ease of use and compatibility
for a number of playback options, such as computer presentations or Beta machines.
“With our new digital pre-shows we are no longer limited to static images,” said Nuria Bronfman, Vice President,
Corporate Affairs for Famous Players, “And, as an innovator in the exhibition industry, we recognized the need to
continue to offer the best technology for all of our alternative pro gramming. The installation of these projectors
offers the best quality for our Guests, corporate clients and advertisers.”
Messages can now be delivered in 15, 30 or 60-second spots with full motion video and audio, or in 10 second
digitally animated segments with pre-recorded background music. Static messages are also available, held on
screen for 10 seconds with pre-recorded background music, but are now crisper and brighter than traditional slide
projections.
“We wanted to offer our advertisers a state-of-the-art delivery system for their messages,” said Salah Bachir,
President of Famous Players Media, which produces the monthly digital pre-show. “The Famous Players Digital
Pre-shows now offer unequalled impact.”
Celebrating its 83rd anniversary, Famo us Players is Canada’s top grossing theatrical exhibitor. Internationally
recognized for its superior technology and innovation in theatre design and guest services, the company operates a
total of 93 locations with 846 screens across the country. This inc ludes theatres in its joint venture with IMAX
and its partnership with Alliance Atlantis. Famous Players is a division of Viacom Canada Inc.
-30-
For more information, contact:
Nuria Bronfman
Vice President, Corporate Affairs
Famous Players, a division of Viacom Canada Inc.
(416) 969-7053
For advertising information, contact:
Anton Kim
Account Manager
Famous Players Media
(416) 539-8800 x 238

-----------------------------------

What do you think?

What's next? [Roll Eyes]

|  IP: Logged

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2004 10:46 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They have had those installed for a while now. I watched a AC/DC concert dvd on one of those a couple of months back and the image was pretty damn good for the size of the picture.

Jesse August
Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2004 11:23 PM      Profile for Jesse August   Email Jesse August   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Advertising revenue. 30 second spots during a pre-show = money.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2004 02:21 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Messages can now be delivered in 15, 30 or 60-second spots with full motion video and audio
what an odd limitation. on film, messages can be "delivered" in any multiple of 1/24 second (um, for those who didn't know that).

carl

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2004 12:09 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They saw how successful Regal Cinemas was with the 20wenty (or however they spell it) and copied them.

Chances are -they did not pay full price for those projectors.....

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-11-2004 06:37 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sure beats having a slide type pre-show!
Mark @ CLACO

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-11-2004 06:43 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd prefer slides (or still-frame images projected via DLP without sound) over full-motion video with sound. At least slides are easy to ignore.

Anyway, this all just goes to show why I could never work in the marketing department of a major theatre chain. I thought that the Regal idea was beyond dumb when it was first announced and that it would just annoy customers and lose money at the same time. Now another chain is copying it. Oh, well.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-11-2004 08:08 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Rainbow cinemas up here did it long before Regal even tested the idea and famous has had it in trial locations for over 3 years as well

Dino Panagiotopoulos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2004 08:28 PM      Profile for Dino Panagiotopoulos   Email Dino Panagiotopoulos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regardless of who started this crap, I was not impressed at all. Not just the fact it was out of focus, off center, and the sound comes out the surrounds just as their non-sync does (not sure if this is just at this location), now instead of seeing Manny Perry rant on about anti-piracy just once, NOW I have to see it at least 6 or 7 times thoughout the preshow presentation. If rather just watch the slides and try to figure out who the actor is with the blurred faces.

On top of the preshow they still play the corp package before the trailers. Double the fun! Even though I dont mind the odd corp, this is getting a little excessive. With Regal, do they still have both play or everything included in the video presentation?

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2004 08:58 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Advertising in the world is just getting way out of control. We are fast approaching the point of turning the human population into mindless droids. Two years ago, an advertising firm in Houston found yet another way to get Advertising outinto the public mainstrem. Sell Ad space on the sides of Ambulances and Fire Trucks. GIVE ME A FUCKING BREAK I am one who is getting sick and tired of all this advertsing bullshit.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2004 12:24 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I have seen the "Regal 20twenty" at a local theatre. The DLP presentation (picture and sound) was flawless. Problem is, when the 35mm came on screen - the picture was darker, dirtier, and the sound was not as crisp. It just goes to show - what is important to them - the advertising dollars....

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: