Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Rounded to the Nearest .25? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Rounded to the Nearest .25?
Matthew Deppe
Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2004 05:32 PM      Profile for Matthew Deppe   Email Matthew Deppe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been reading this forum for 6 months now and have found it very helpful. So thank-you all for that.

I am wondering about concession pricing. At our theatre we add tax to the listed price of our concessions. Is this a common practice in the business?

I cannot help but think that lines would move faster and drawers would be more accurate if the cashier only needed to work with cash and quarters. It would also eliminate some work from the bank change orders.

I guess I am looking for your opinions. I am in the process of working out a written proposal to change our prices to .25 cent amounts and could use some input.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-05-2004 05:55 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No point in having whole-quarter pricing unless you also move to tax-inclusive posted prices unless you post oddball prices which turn into whole-quarter prices when tax is added. Quoting a nice even price...then adding tax...then rounding up to the next quarter is probably going to land you in legal difficulty.

Matthew Deppe
Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2004 06:04 PM      Profile for Matthew Deppe   Email Matthew Deppe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry I guess I was unclear.

Our current prices are something like 2.50 for a small pop or corn, 3.00 for a medium pop or corn, . . . upon which tax is added. Bringing the totals to 2.68 and 3.21 respectively.

Would it be helpful for our bussiness to have tax inclusive prices? So changing to something like 2.75 for a small pop or corn and 3.25 for a medium.

If that were the case then we still would have no need for dimes, nickles, and pennies for change. Hopefully allowing the transaction to go smoother and quicker.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-05-2004 06:07 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, yes, yes. Only dealing with quarters makes the line move a LOT faster. Shorter, faster moving lines means more customers are apt to visit the concession stand, and oddly enough you're making a few extra cents on the deal too. Just list as "$3.25 tax included", not $3.04

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-05-2004 06:25 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems like there would be a slight psychological advantage too. The customer won't think "$3.00 PLUS TAX for a popcorn??!!". Since concession prices are already high to begin with, to me it just goes over better if the sign says "Tax Included" so I don't have to think to myself "Geez, the prices are high enough as it is, and I still have to pay sales tax besides".

Trevor Bailey
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2004 08:07 PM      Profile for Trevor Bailey   Author's Homepage   Email Trevor Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first theater I worked at had "tax included" pricing and the only coins we got from the bank were quarters. That was such a logical method, that it had to be changed!! So, to make those few extra pennies, the next price increase simply changed the menu board to read "plus tax". From then on, the lines were slower, and we never looked back. That's what happens when someone at the home office making decisions has never been in the field. [fu]

Robb Johnston
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2004 09:21 PM      Profile for Robb Johnston   Author's Homepage   Email Robb Johnston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You may want to check certain state and municipality codes for pricing. Some areas may require to list the pretax price. I have scene menu boards where they have the even quarter pricing in inch tall letters then in smaller type underneath they list the pretax price and amount of tax. this was required by code or law or something.

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2004 10:06 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rounding off to the nearest quarter made SO much more sense (and cents too) than adding tax to an already odd price. While working for UA many eons ago, tax was included and everying was on the quarter. The concession lines on those old cafeteria style concession stands moved along pretty well. Plus it was more frequent for the cashier's to be dead even.
Change over to annother chain such as AMC, Tax not included lines were always long, incorrect change always being given, cashier have to take longer for each transaction both when giving change, and when recieving 97cents in change.

Only takes a few brain cells to rub together to figure out that having prices that end on the quarter and include tax are the way to go, both for customer service and the bottom line.

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2004 11:34 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Pennsylvania, our state sales tax law requires that all item prices be stated seperately with the sales tax then seperately listed on the receipt as an add on. You are not allowed to post (or collect) such a price as 3.75 (tax included).

It would be advisable for everyone to check their individual state (and in some cases additional local) sales tax regulations reqarding this issue.

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2004 12:02 AM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We do to the quarter and to the dollar pricing including tax, makes the line move much quicker. 400 Customers @ 2.50 per cap in 1/2 hour with 2 experienced people behind the concession is not a problem with this pricing.

Candy
1.00 Normal Candy Bars
2.00 Theatre Packs/King Size
3.00 5-8 oz candy

Popcorn

1.00 24 oz
2.00 46 oz
3.50 85 oz
5.00 130 oz

Pop

1.00 12 oz
2.00 16 oz
3.00 22 oz
4.00 32 oz

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 01-06-2004 12:31 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam, your pricing there is a bit curious...most vendors give a price break as you buy more...but in your case, the $2 popcorn is less popcorn than two $1 popcorn tubs? [Confused]

--jhawk

Matt Hale
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2004 01:11 AM      Profile for Matt Hale   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Hale   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to be a killjoy but I never have a quarter when I need one, or two or three. If you charge me x.25 for something you're probably gonna get two dimes and a nickel or (more likely) one dime and fifteen stupid pennies.

So while keeping everything rounded to the nearest quarter is a great idea for speed, efficiency and customer service dont go removing the extra slots from you change drawers - you will have to deal with people like me.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2004 01:54 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
and rememer, you may need to keep a couple of nickels as change, for troublemakers who hand you 3 dimes in lieu of a quarter.

but yeah, go with 25 cent increments in the final price if you possibly can.

carl

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 01-06-2004 03:22 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Naw, Carl. Just tell them you don't have any nickels. Most of the time they'll just tell you not to worry about it.

Bam! 5 cents extra profit!

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-06-2004 08:38 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't it the late great Cineplex Odeon ten years back or so that changed from inclusive pricing to plus tax? Maybe around the time they went through the real butter / fake butter cycle.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: