Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Consolidated Theatres in Hawaii is for sale

Author Topic: Consolidated Theatres in Hawaii is for sale
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-05-2004 01:01 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Los Angeles based Pacific Theatres recently announced they would like to concentrate on the operations of their mainland theatres and wants to sell their Hawaiian division, Consolidated Amusement Company. Pacific indicated they are in no great hurry to sell the property and expect the process of selling the local chain of theatres to take years and have hinted that there might not be a sale if they do not receive a reasonable offer. Consolidated was established as a locally owned company over seventy five years ago and was purchased by Pacific in the sixties. The chain operates theatres on all of the major islands except Kauai and Molokai and is the dominant exhibitor in the state with over a hundred screens. Not included in the sale are real estate property in Waikiki at the former Waikiki Theatre complex which included the Waikiki Twins, #3 and the Waikiki Imax.

Personally I feel Pacific is doing an excellent job operating their theatres except when they discharged many of their loyal employees who have worked for the company for many years due to cost cutting a few years ago. One of them was my dear friend Miss Faith Tom who was Vice President of Theatre Operations. Another thing I do not like is their policy of using staff with limited booth knowledge to serve as projectionists.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2004 11:25 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Honolulu Advertiser reported this in mid-November. It said AMC and Regal might be interested, but those 2 companies might not be interested in running theaters away from the mainland.

Pacific Theatres has a website with very little detail and no reference at all to Hawaii.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 01-07-2004 12:28 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a good thread about this going on over at CinemaTour.

Charles, Consolidated Amusements is the name of Pacific's company in Hawaii. If you search for that you'll find even less information than you find at Pacific's website.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-07-2004 01:34 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Charles,

As I had mentioned on another thread, I was too busy at work to post the news report when it braked in November. I just thought about it the other day and since it was not reported by others here at Film Tech, I thought of doing it now. I cannot remember the names of the theatre chains the article mentioned that might be interested in buying Pacific's theatres in Hawaii but I hope whoever decides to offer an acceptable bid will provide comparable or better service than is offered now.

Pacific's theatres in Hawaii are very well maintained and I have always enjoyed watching movies there. When studios were releasing films in 70mm, Consolidated always made an effort to get a print and they did many times. Two of the movies I can think of that Consolidated played among many others in 70mm when there were not too many prints were "AMADEUS" and "GETTYSBURG". The sound system in their premier theatre, the Ward 16 are the best in my opinion with 60 foot screens in four of their largest auditoriums. All of their theatres on Oahu are all centrally located and easy to get to from my home.

-Claude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: