Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » What was the biggest hit/disappointment of 2003? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What was the biggest hit/disappointment of 2003?
Scott Madsen
Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2003 09:07 AM      Profile for Scott Madsen   Email Scott Madsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What was everyone's biggest hit of 2003 at your theatre? Also, what was the movie you were expecting to do well, yet turned into disappointment?

[ 12-29-2003, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: Scott Madsen ]

|  IP: Logged

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2003 09:19 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This belongs in Ground Forum or Yak

John Carpenter
Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2003 08:47 PM      Profile for John Carpenter   Email John Carpenter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Biggest dissapointment here: Looney Tunes
Biggest Hit: Finding Nemo (as for one that was a bit unexpected) or Matrix: Reloaded (we expected that to be big)

disclaimer: we split product with Regal so we didnt get it all...

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-28-2003 08:59 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our biggest hit of the year was LOTR/ROTK.

I wouldn't call it a disappointment really but the biggest surprise to me was "Elf." While we did well with it, it got its arse kicked locally by "Brother Bear," which I totally didn't expect.

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2003 10:05 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our biggest hit since I worked for our theatre was LOTR:RoTK

Our biggest disappointmant would be Looney Tunes:Back in Action.

The biggest hit this year for the theatre w/o me there was
Bad Boys 2

The biggest flop for that theatre was Gigli

Scott Balko
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2003 10:25 PM      Profile for Scott Balko   Email Scott Balko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We did well with Bruce Almighty, Nemo and Elf, but I think the big winner is ROTK. The big looser would have to be Sinbad back in July. The biggest disappointment, I would agree to be Looney Tunes. [Frown]

Jim Leko
Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2003 10:16 AM      Profile for Jim Leko   Email Jim Leko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our biggest flop (albeit expected) was From Justin to Kelly (only had it for a week and a half)

Our biggest disappointment I think would be Terminator 3: Rise of The Machines (It died pretty fast).

Biggest surprise, I think is Finding Nemo. Although expecting it to do well, it lasted MUCH longer than I thought it would.

________

Although I like LoTR:RoTK (I have seen it 4 times already), it has already been moved out of our 2 large houses. Cheaper by the Dozen is outselling it at my theater. Cheaper by the Dozen and Peter Pan now occupy our two large houses (We only have 1 print of Peter Pan, and 2 of both Cheaper/RoTK, so Peter Pan still has fewer seats than RoTK.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-29-2003 12:16 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Biggest disappointment was definitely "Gerry," which we didn't even get at the 6-plex, due to it's poor opening elsewhere (we were scheduled to open it one week after the area premiere). Great film, horrible business.

Biggest hit might have been "Big Fat Greek Wedding," which I believe was still playing in early 2003. Horrible film, but really popular with the old-lady crowd. Winged Migration (great film) would probably be second.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 12-29-2003 12:28 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Biggest hits: 'Finding Nemo', 'LOTR:ROTK', 'Matrix Reloaded'

Biggest bombs: 'Gigli', 'Looney Tunes' 'LXG'

Biggest disappointments: 'Looney Tunes', 'Brother Bear', 'Cat In The Hat' 'LXG'

Longest 'legs': Finding Nemo

-Aaron

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2003 01:27 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Biggest Hit: Winged Migration

Biggest Disappointment: The Event
And the entire month of October.

Biggest Disappointment viewing: Elf [puke]

Probably this years most profitable film: Elf [fu]

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2003 05:57 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DISAPPOINTMENTS
1. MATRIX REVOLUTIONS
Enough has been said.

2. PIRATES OF THE CARRIBBEAN
I expected a great genre movie, but except some good J. Depp gags it's just the old and boring CGI stuff, badly staged fight scenes and poor scoring.

SURPRISE
LOONEY TUNES: BACK IN ACTION
I know nobody liked it, but the character animation is a lot better than in SPACE JAM, and being an animation buff, I enjoyed the many asides and hidden jokes. But certainly didn't work with the kids, I admit...

BEST FILM I MISSED THE FIRST TIME AROUND
LOS OTROS/THE OTHERS with Nicole Kidman, great cinematography, great acting, good story - all in one film! [Smile]

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2003 02:45 AM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hit: Return of the King, easily

Disappointment: Terminator 3

Gigli, From Justin to Kelly, et al were horrible, but that was expected so they really didn't disappoint.

Marcial Feliciano Ramos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2004 12:37 AM      Profile for Marcial Feliciano Ramos   Email Marcial Feliciano Ramos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Biggest disappointment: Looney Tunes: Back in Action

Biggest Hit: Finding Nemo, Bad Boys 2, 2Fast 2 Furious, and of course THE LORD OF THE FILMS...i mean RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 01-01-2004 01:10 AM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Biggest Hit: Finding Nemo (it was still playing at our theater right before the DVD came out)

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2004 02:12 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Biggest Hit: Bad Boys II

Biggest Flop: Alex & Emma

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: