Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Bomb Scare

Author Topic: Bomb Scare
Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2003 10:24 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure this was not fun for the staff of AMC Lennox 24. This is a very popular theatre just west of Ohio State University.

I've pieced this together from a number of media sources.

A bomb scare was phoned in to the local police department about 7:00 PM on 12/26. The caller stated they were in the theatre and they were going to blow up the building.

The police came and evacuated the building. No bomb was found, but there were many MANY unhappy customers. The people I saw interviewed were not unhappy with the theatre management, but with the person who had called in the threat.

Theatre reopened 3 hours later.

I'm sure the staff there hopes this never happens again. This is a very busy theatre, and I would guess that it was close to capacity.

|  IP: Logged

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2003 10:42 AM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope they catch the dumbass that phoned it in and hang him them up by thier Balls if they are so equiped with any.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 12-28-2003 01:08 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This happened to me too a couple of years ago in a big theatre I worked in. It was Saturday night, of course, and we had to evacuate close to 3.500 guests. When the bomb squad arrived, they found that the very realistic-looking bomb in the toilet was actually a fake. It had a note on it "away with the freeway". Apparently this was the way an environmentalist group chose to protest against a proposed freeway project in Berlin.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2003 04:02 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read today that we had a bomb call made on a small town twin that we operate as well. Eveacuated the theatre, dogs brought in, etc.. nothing was found, back operating 2.5 hours later...

People should be SHOT for this [bs]
*Note lack of smileys.. because I'm not F'n kidding!

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 12-29-2003 07:45 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Calling in a bomb scare used to be a misdameaner. Now it is an out right felony.

Nick Engstrom
Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2003 09:00 PM      Profile for Nick Engstrom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A year ago, we had 12 to 15 calls in a one month span. It was the same person over and over again. The police finally started recording everything that goes in and out of our phone system, but a few days later, it stopped.

It was highly annoying, the first 10 times, we would empty everyone out and then after the police kept coming and just shaking their heads, we just played through on the threats =/ Probably wasn't the smartest thing to do, but at the time, it wasn't my decision.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: