Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Popcorn oils and Flavacol Salts

Author Topic: Popcorn oils and Flavacol Salts
Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2003 10:54 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Everybody!

I was just wandering if anyone could tell me what kind of popper oil Famous Players uses to pop their corn in. I have sent numerous e-mails to inquire, but have had no responses. All this from a company that no charges $12.00 for a large popcorn and a large drink!

Also, Is the original formula YELLOW flavacol or the white flavacol better to pop the corn with? I believe Famous uses coconut, and the yellow flavacol, but I have seen theatres and companies like this and their popcorn is SOOOO salty.

I'd want to use coconut oil and have the yellow corn, but not have it be so salty. What are my options?

How do you make the absolute best tasting corn that will give your competition a run for their money?

|  IP: Logged

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2003 11:35 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Andrew....

Our recipe for popcorn....

Colored Coconut oil and 3/4 a "scoop" of Yellow Flavacol. Don't ask me what size the scoop is... it came with the popcorn machine.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-22-2003 01:00 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Famous Players used to colour there own oil when they had their own in house concesion company and the would buy a tanker truck of hydrogenated coconut oil and colour it with Beta Carrotene and pack it in pails themselves
The salt they used at that time was called Savoral and was a pale yellow
what there source is now I don't know
Most of the yellow in popped corn is from the colour in the oil not the salt

John Hegel
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2003 04:00 AM      Profile for John Hegel   Author's Homepage   Email John Hegel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is every ones thoughts on using white popcorn seed?

I know it doesn't produce as large of kernels, but in my opinion it is overall better corn.

John Scott
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2003 08:53 AM      Profile for John Scott   Email John Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are using Canola oil or Pop-n-lite, I don't think the white corn makes a difference as the Canola oil masks the corn. But, if you are using coconut oil, I've found the white corn is a necessity as it tastes far superior. At least to me, normal corn in coconut oil has a "feed grain"-like taste that is kind of unpleasant.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 12-23-2003 09:14 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The other day I went to a Landmark, and enjoyed the best popcorn i've had in a long time. It was Orville Redenboker (SP) poped in sunflower oil.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-23-2003 10:51 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew,
If you need salt let me know. I'll go out in the desert with a shovel and send you a bucket full!! You might want to read this blurb and learn all about salt.
http://historytogo.utah.gov/freesalt.html

Mark Gulbrandsen
Located just minutes away from the Great Salt Flats......

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-24-2003 01:08 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like Claco is missing out on a great marketing gimmick. "Free bucket of salt with every order." [Big Grin]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-24-2003 10:14 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bwahhhhhaaahahahahahahahah..... I'll suggest that to Clayton!!
Mark @ CLACO

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: