Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Drive-In Screens (Selbys?) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Drive-In Screens (Selbys?)
Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2003 10:08 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I heard a company named "Selby" is the only company that makes drive-in screens today.

My question is... does anyone have a website address?

|  IP: Logged

Kris Brunton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2003 10:59 PM      Profile for Kris Brunton   Email Kris Brunton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check out the classifieds at Box Office magazine. Box Office

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 12-18-2003 11:08 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These double threads are annoying and confusing. Please close one of these threads.

Please!?

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2003 12:36 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, This is all I could locate on Google for them.

Selby Products
Screen Towers
PO Box 267
Richfield, OH 44286
330-659-6631 or 800-647-6224

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 12-19-2003 12:55 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is http://www.selbyindustries.com/, which makes 'wind-loaded structures' such as large billboards (an offshoot of their drive-in screen business perhaps?) Their logo looks like the one from the D.I screen tower ads, I would guess that they are at least the same parent company. At least its another lead.

-Aaron

Justin West
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2003 05:19 AM      Profile for Justin West   Email Justin West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The two Selby companies were once together but either the billboard division was sold off or one brother took that side while Jerry Selby kept the drive-in screentower business. Selby Products is the screentower mfr and they have no website; however, owner Jerry Selby can be reached at SPROD42@aol.com

Another Satisfied customer... [Smile]

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2003 12:56 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll chime in as another satified Selby Screen customer.

I looked at several different possibilities for our screen and the only one that actually came through for us was Jerry Selby.

We looked at "Arrow Products" out of California, and although they did seem interested, there was 2 major drawbacks I had dealing with them, Justin ran into the same situation I bel;ieve.
1.) They wouldn't give me a "firm" dollar quote... which is something the bank required.
2.) The rep I spoke with stated, "Drive-In screens... we haven't built any in about 20 years, but we could probably do it again."

You can do plywood and telephone poles.... but you'll end up replacing it after the first major storm. In my opinion... just call Selby, no if's , ands or buts about it.

Every major storm that blows through our area, the screen tower is one thing we don't have to worry about.

The screens are a little "pricey", but worth every single penny.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-20-2003 02:09 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is an all steel drive inn screen still standing on a now vacant lot in North Ogden, Utah. You could proably have that screen just for the removal of it fomr the property.

Mark @ CLACO

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2003 06:28 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the help!

While we're on the topic of drive-ins... I seem to recall a website that gave tips on how to construct a drive-in properly... Can anyone point me back to this website?

Also... I also recall a drive-in that had individual screens for every car, but one projector. There were lots of pictures in that post and the website. Anyone have a record of it?

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 12-20-2003 07:46 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The site you are looking for is out very own Tim Reed's Drive-In Workshop.

The D/I with all the individual screens was called the Autoscope and had 260 individual screens, one for each car!

-Aaron

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 12-21-2003 12:08 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was also an Autoscope in Eastern Washington; mainly (if not exclusively) an "adult themed" venue. It didn't last long, but the foundations are still there.

Interesting concept, but can you imagine trying to maintain some kind of quality control with that kind of setup? Just cleaning all those mirrors would be a huge headache!... not to mention the boxes of Q-Tips you'd go through!!!!

On the Drive-In Workshop: Tim turned it over to one of our drive-in owner members, Brad Light, who owns a 3-screener in New Mexico. It's very similar to what Tim started, and Tim deserves a lot of credit for collecting much of that site's content.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2003 03:43 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it looks like that albuquerque autoscope only could have had 120 or so screens, judging from the lens array. www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Pavillion/2216/TriCircle.html confirms this. however the setup looks different from the one pictured at www.driveintheater.com/list/nm/circle.htm , which also claims to be the albuquerque autoscope. hmmm.

carl

Erick Akers
Arse Kicker

- posted 12-21-2003 09:49 AM      Profile for Erick Akers   Email Erick Akers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Texas, we used to have one of the major players in the screen tower business.

Has anyone heard of Rogers Antenna & Screen Tower? (Rogers,TX.)

Many of their towers can still be found standing, across the Southern United States, and were one of the best designs for Screen Towers that I have ever seen!!!

From what I have heard, They Were Hands Down, Absolutely the Best Ever Manufactured!!!

When they were going full tilt boogie,
many DI owners were willing to wait for a Rogers Screen Tower, rather than settle for a Selby [Big Grin]

Unfortunately, they have been out of business for about 5 years now.

If anyone still has some of their literature, pictures or any contact names for them, please chime in, or email me!!!

I have a few friends in the DI business that have been actively seeking anything dealing with their Screen towers. [Big Grin]

Thanks,

Erick

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2003 05:27 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it!

Also, Anyone have a website for Decade (Radio transmitters for drive-ins), which is located in Montreal?

And, for popper BIB oils... What kind is available in a BIB, and how would I find these types of oils on say, the www.canamerafoods.com website?

Ray Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2003 04:24 PM      Profile for Ray Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Ray Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There was also an Autoscope in Eastern Washington; mainly (if not exclusively) an "adult themed" venue. It didn't last long, but the foundations are still there.

That was the Tri-Circle out side of Richland (Tri-Cities) I remember driving by it when I was in my late teens before it was closed and leveled.

Tri-Circle Drive In

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: