Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Best chains to work for. Mostly morale related. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Best chains to work for. Mostly morale related.
Kevin Wale
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2003 11:18 PM      Profile for Kevin Wale   Email Kevin Wale   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious to hear from our big chain employed forumers on what the morale is like in thier theatres.

Are there chains that have an overall good reputation as being a fun and positive environment to work in? Or chains that have a decided tendency to have ill tempered managers who throw hissy fits and could turn coal into a diamond?

I know Crown in Kansas had a reputation of being a supportive and positive company to work for if you were in management. They would send even assistant managers to trade shows and conferences. District managers were known on a first name basis and were accessable and took a mentorshiip role on.

Is Regal per say generally similar? Or does thier managment structure tend to be "it's all about me and how good I am" in mentality?

Sometimes we hear the negatives about the big companies that it makes you wonder why anyone would want to work for them at all. Yet many of them have really good people who enjoy working there.

I can see this one getting a bit heated so just try to be as unhateful as you can in your rants. LOL

|  IP: Logged

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2003 11:45 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin,

I'm not sure what sort of responses you'll get with this thread, as many will be fearful to respond with their TRUE feelings for fear of retribution on behalf of their employer.

While I love my job, and the theatre business, I can't say that I have the same feeling for the company I work for. Morale, for the most part, is generated soley at the descretion of the on- site manager(s). For example, I have many employees whom have remained under my employ for upwards of 8 years. I routinely have staff stay through high school and college, until they enter the real world... OTOH, morale from our corporate office, is, for the most part, non-existent. Our company is very micro-managed due to, in my opinion, too many unqaulified managers out in the field. [Frown]

I won't delve any deeper, as you mentioned mainly morale. Dustin, what do you think? You pretty much read the same memos I do....

Travis Hubrig
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2003 12:01 AM      Profile for Travis Hubrig   Email Travis Hubrig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Jason, 100%.

For my company, it all depends on local management.
I like my job and the theatre I work at.
There are times I get frustrated with higher ups, and sometimes other managers. I know many who get thrown into a theatre with little or no training. I have experience with different District Managers and I think that makes a difference also.
Each of the District Managers I worked for had their own advantages and disadvantages.

Overall I am happy with my company and plan on staying in this industry for a long time.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-12-2003 01:36 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have found that locally owned independent chains have a more relaxed atmosphere.

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2003 01:47 AM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,
That isn't always a good thing. Remember, "relaxed atmosphere" translates to "siezed intermittent due to lack of oil" or other such problems. Too laid back is bad. Being professional, accountable, and responsible can create a better work environment. Personally, I can't stand picking up the slack of someone who promotes a "relaxed atmosphere"

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-12-2003 09:41 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is in my opinion a diifference between a relaxed atmosphere and an unproffesional one.
Many independents have terrific loyalty because there is no later on layer of bureocracy.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-12-2003 10:18 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not afraid. I'm out of exhibition now anyway, so what the hell?

My Best Experiences:
Chakeres Theatres - Felt like a valued employee. Treated like family by the late Frazee brothers.
General Cinema - the old GCC, before ex-AMC people seized control (way before the AMC buyout).
Carmike - I was only contracted to service with these guys, but they treated me like gold.
Goodrich (service only) - Great people, all the way around.
Kerasotes (service only) - They ran hot and cold, I mostly have good memories of them, though.
GKC Theatres - same as above.

Worst (all service work) [flame on]:
National Amusements/Redstone - What a whiny bunch of self-important, overbearing, bureaucratic titty-twisters! They have nothing better to do with their days than think up new titles for themselves, to place a false prestige on their jobs.
Cinemark - 'We're important! We're in the movie business!' Please! How can you take any company seriously that believes CFS, Peavey, and Speco are top-of-the-line!? These dolts were so enamoured with being in the movie business that they wouldn't listen to reason. They insisted that I set up their equipment INCORRECTLY, just because their inexperienced head tech guy said so. Losers. The best thing about this outfit was the people that came with the Premiere Theatres acquisition Mike Campbell, Neal, Bobby, and the rest... later of Regal.
Hoyts - [edit] Died a merciful death, I suppose. (Am I getting paid this week, or never?)
AMC - Does ANYONE believe this outfit is good to work for?! Too paranoid for my taste. Always looking over your shoulder for a reason to fire you.
Loews - Can't show up for appointments. Tech service was an interupption to their day or something.
[flame off]

As with everything, of course, your mileage may vary.

[ 02-13-2004, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: Tim Reed ]

Emma Tomiak
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2003 03:36 AM      Profile for Emma Tomiak   Author's Homepage   Email Emma Tomiak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The GM at my theatre is great, and I love it there. I do think morale has a lot to do with your location and its environment.

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2003 04:37 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been with Regal for almost 9 years now and have almost nothing but good things to say...however, I have been in the good graces of some great people in the company. I can start on a propaganda type rant and try to steer you to Regal but that may not be fair to you in your area. You may be in an area that has bums for GM's and a worse DM. Then again you could be the right place as well with perfect managers. I have heard horror stories from ALL chains including ours and I have great things as well from all chains including ours. The best advise I can give is shop around and get to know the somebody at the different locations in town and see what suits you. Or you can come to Vegas and work for me at Regal here. I try to keep it fun but professional. I will also plug Dennis over at the Crown at Neonoplis. He is someone that gives a damn about the business as well. I will not talk about the other chain here...that usually leads to longs rants of profanity...

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2003 01:45 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For my part, I enjoy working for Carmike. Our district manager is great, my current complex manager is great, the service tech Carmike contracts with (Dan Jorgenson) is great...not much to complain about.

That being said, I have heard plenty of negative things about Carmike, quite a few coming from the district just to the west of us (Montana). In the end I think I'd have to agree with Christopher, it all depends on local/district management.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2003 11:00 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have said a lot of things about companies that I have previously worked for. It is always the same thing "6 in one or a half dozen in the other". All of them are pretty much the same. It depends on what stage the company is in when you go to work for them.

I worked for Cobb Theatres for 5 years, I think Mr. Cobb (Bobby and his father) are great guys. I worked for Regal for 5 years, and I have the upmost respect for Mike Campbell. It is all the people underneath the head guys who mess everything up for us people in the field. When the companies start out - they are all 'independents', eventually they get bigger and more people are hired - and everyone becomes numbers.

My advice is to start out small - and work into a bigger company later. Maybe you will luck out and get in on the ground floor of the next big thing. Then when you get promoted, people can come on this forum and complain about you.

:-)

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-14-2003 10:53 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Btw, I've gotten a couple of private messages echoing my sentiments about Cinemark. Guess they haven't changed after all.

Gary Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2003 02:19 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford   Email Gary Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the 70s everything around here was Walter Reade (except for a couple small single-house indies) and they really weren't too bad to work for. The local managers dreaded visits by the brass. I hear they were brutal, but those old guys couldn't be bothered climbing way up into the sky to the booth so they left us alone. As long as our shows looked like they should have we never caught any grief from them.

Reade closed and Music Makers and GCC took some of the houses. Again, not bad as the visiting brass never climbed up to see us. They ran a tight ship but kept the terror to a minimum, as far as the local managers were concerned.

I work for a single-house indie now and the owner is the manager. We have our moments of course, but he is great to work for. Since we are so small, 11 employees total, we really are more like a family than most places. Dysfunctional perhaps, but still family.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 12-17-2003 03:09 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have been with Regal for almost 9 years now and have almost nothing but good things to say...however... You may be in an area that has bums for GM's and a worse DM.
Good point, Chris.

Before our drive-in owners' association was established, I only knew of a very few of Regal's districts; all of them in the West. I can't speak at all for management, but these areas are a mixed bag as far as the level of service they give their infrastructure (read: how often they change the oil in their projectors, among other things). Some theatres seem to get very good service, while others can have screens down for some time before they get service.

The Eastern side of the country, from what I hear, seems somewhat more stable. In any case, I know of one senior tech that supervises a LOT of their theatres. They're on maintenance schedules, actually have a preventive plan, and there's an effort to teach the local operators enough about what's happening in the booth so they understand how much they can mess up a sound system when they get the urge to take a screwdriver to a CP65.

Even with a chain, it seems there's a lot to be said for where you're at, and how far it is from corporate headquarters.

In any case, I'm with Paul on this one... Per capita, Indies are best! [thumbsup]

...not that I'm biased or anything! [Big Grin]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-19-2003 11:59 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always only worked on Independent Chains and smaller mom and pop theatres and plan on keeping it that way. They easily excell at the exhibition end of things far better than the chains ever will, and these hard working people deserve good service!

Although I really like all my customers the nicest ones by far are up north in Idaho, Montana, and over in Wyoming and Colorado. We have a customer in Wyoming whose theatres would make Hollywoods finest look bad! I'm always treated like family where ever I go out here and I treat my customers the same way. I also had very nice customers over in western Wisconsin and my customers in Northern Indiana gave you the Hoosier treatment when ever you were doing work for them. Those Hoosiers don't seem to have a worry in the world!!

I'd have to add that in 22 years now of being in this buisness I've only ever dropped servicing two customers due to rudness, wanting to own every minuite of your time, or just plain stupidity. One was a large Independent Chain in the Western Chicago burbs and the other was an independent in LaGrange, Il. I also walked off one film in Philadelphia at the mid point of production. "Twelve Monkeys". It was all politics on that production and the Film Editors projectionist didn't get hired and so on and so forth...... Interestingly I service the Star of that films theatre!

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: