Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » PlexiGlass -- Where to buy

Author Topic: PlexiGlass -- Where to buy
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-04-2003 03:25 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another Where To Buy question....sorry guys. But I figure if someone out there has gotten any of this stuff and knows of a good supplier, why not.

We are non-profit and thus we cannot afford big bucks for commercial A-Frames. We have a carpentry shop that's made a really spiffy A-Frame with chacer lights and a brushed aluminum frame. Thing is, I need to buy plexiglass to fit into the frame. I've asked around and no one knows of a good place to buy this stuff in bulk so we can cut it to the frame sized, which is a tad larger than a standard 1Sheet.

Anyone know of a good supplier with non-profit prices?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-04-2003 08:30 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, Plastics are expensive to buy because they are expensive to manufacture...... according to a friend in the buisness. I'd just pull out the Yellow Pages and let your fingers do the walkin and your voice do the askin. If the vendor knows you're non profit he will usually help out somewhat.
MArk

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2003 12:05 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd check with every glass shop around and ask who they buy from. Plexi can be very expensive, but Lexan is even more expensive.

Tony Ratcliff
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2003 12:36 PM      Profile for Tony Ratcliff   Email Tony Ratcliff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I couple years ago I remember seeing that Lowes sold sheets of plexi-glass. But I'm not sure if they still carry it.

Try a local glass shop. Since you are non-profit, they may do a trade for advertising or donation.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-04-2003 12:46 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some links to large plastic sheet material:

http://www.windowsaver.com/

http://www.diyplastics.com/main.htm

http://www.atofinachemicals.com/atoglas/plex2.cfm

http://www.atofinachemicals.com/atoglas/sheet/PLA17c15.cfm

http://www.degussa.com/en/home/specialty_polymers/plexiglas.html

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2003 04:52 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also try signwriters or anyone that uses the stuff. They may have some ideas

Gordon Bachlund
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2003 05:31 PM      Profile for Gordon Bachlund   Author's Homepage   Email Gordon Bachlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank, I have purchased Plexiglass before at Home Depot. If you can't find a discount or donation, you might try them as a last resort.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-04-2003 08:33 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best advice would be to visit a good sign company, and not just any sign company either (there's lots of people in this field of work with little qualification to be in the business). The New York City area has all kinds of sign companies from first class operations to fly-by-night disgraces.

A sign company which does lots of in house manufacturing will have a decent amount of left over scrap that can be used for small jobs. But if the face you need uses up much of a standard 4' X 8' sheet, then you'll have to pay for ordering whole sheets.

If one is going to cut Plexiglas type acrylic on his own he has to be good at doing it. That stuff can chip real easy using conventional powered saws. For precision stuff, the cutting is best left to a computer controlled routing machine. A good sign shop will have its own routing table and other precise material cutting setups.

Here's another issue to consider. Is the display going to be within reach of vandals? Plexiglas breaks pretty easy, especially if you use a large sheet with thicknesses under 3/16". If someone can hit or kick the display Lexan might be a better alternative. It may seem more wobbly than Plexiglas acrylic, but things like thrown beer bottles and other projectiles will bounce off it wheras Plexiglas may shatter.

Lexan has another advantage in that many sign companies order it in large rolls. You can cut off what you need and eliminate a lot of material waste that often occurs when using 4' X 8' blanks.

Sign making materials can be really expensive, so it may be tough for a sign company or materials supplier to donate the substrate unless there was a profitable way to "trade out". We've done neon filled channel letter signs using some speciality Plexiglas sheets that ran hundreds of dollars for a 4' X 8' sheet. The kind that looks black in daytime yet lights up looking white is pretty expensive.

Bryan Fournier
Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2003 05:33 PM      Profile for Bryan Fournier   Email Bryan Fournier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank,

I have used a place here in Connecticut called Modern Plastics. Below is their contact information. I have used them for all kinds of Plexi-Glass purchases. They carry all colors and thicknesses (1/8" to 1"). I believe they will ship or deliver your required piece. Give them a call.

Modern Plastics

706 Howard Avenue

Bridgeport, CT 06605

800-243-9696

www.modernplastics.com

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-08-2003 02:03 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are totally awesome. Thanks for the help. My new one-sheet A-frame thanks you also.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2003 03:16 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank,

You gave Thanks, but we still don't know what avenue you used...

Care to divugle?

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-15-2003 02:57 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason, actually for this A-Frame, I found out that the theatre department carpentery/set construction shop had a few pieces of plexi in storage and there was a piece that was big enough for my frame. We are going to need more for two others under construction, so I will still need to look into the suggestions.

One thing I discovered was that the adhesive they use on the protective paper that covers the plexi becomes a real pain to remove if it has aged. The piece that I am using has been hanging around for who knows how long and removing that paper is proving to be a real pain; it's not the easy pull and peel that it is when it is new.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2003 11:29 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Soak that sticky paper with lighter fluid and let it sit for a few minutes. The paper will come right off. Clean any residue with more lighter fluid.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-15-2003 05:49 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also be careful when you are peeling off that thin plastic paper-like coating. If you are holding the sides of the sheet you can slice the hell out of your hands if the material slips! Over the years I have seen people cut their palms wide open mishandling that stuff.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: