Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Shortest Runs (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Shortest Runs
Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2003 09:00 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today I'm losing Master and Commander and Looney Tunes afterr 12 days in order to make room for 4 new movies. However we have been selling very well for Master.

Just wondering, How long was the shortest run of a movie for you guys and girls out there. Anything that is shorter than 12 days?

|  IP: Logged

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2003 09:25 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How many screens are at your theatre? I'd say the fewer the screens at a complex, the shorter the runs. I'd think many movies would only run one week at smaller multiplexes, or less in the case of Friday releases followed by Wednesday releases.

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2003 11:33 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have 8 screens. Master And Commander and Looney Tunes were Friday Releases and Haunter Mansion, Bad Santa, Timeline, and The Missing are all Wednesday. You Might Be Right. [Smile]

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 11-25-2003 11:51 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I've run a couple of three-day runs: Traces of Red which bombed horribly and Players Club. I had a Sunday morning 3am phone call with the director of operations of the chain discussing the problems we (and mall security and the sheriff's department) were having with the crowds and I told him that Sunday would be the last day of the run. Lucky for me, he agreed.

Gary Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2003 11:51 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford   Email Gary Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Run an old single-screen sub-run house. We run shows for a week or two for the most part. Shortest run we had was for "Pay It Forward" 2 years ago. We ran it for 3 days, then closed for Christmas week. Longest run we had, and this was for a rare first-run for us, was "Greek Wedding" for 17 weeks, summer 2002.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-25-2003 12:02 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regal Cinema World 8 here booked 2 prints of Matrix Revolutions, and dropped one of the prints after 1 week. Normally 2 weeks seems to be about the shortest normal run. Gigli and Pluto Nash come to mind (they were doubled up in the 2nd week too).

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 11-25-2003 12:18 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since you didn't specify anything about them: I have run more films that were booked for 1 and 2-day runs than I can count...

As far as standard 'megaplex' fare goes, The shortest runs have been only a week in duration.

-Aaron

Marcial Feliciano Ramos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2003 12:28 PM      Profile for Marcial Feliciano Ramos   Email Marcial Feliciano Ramos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our shortest is one week.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-25-2003 12:40 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most repertory houses change programming daily, so that would usually mean a "run" of one or two shows per title. Same for colleges, military bases, etc.

Split weeks (e.g. one program for Fri->Mon and another for Tues->Thurs) aren't uncommon in singles in small towns. In second-run houses, it's rather rare to keep anything for more than two weeks, while one is more common.

Even at commercial art houses, one-week runs are fairly common. Films which completely bomb sometimes leave before the end of the week ("Gerry"--which was a great film--comes to mind as one which lasted for six days in at least one major market).

In most other cases, "first run" generally implies two weeks minimum, although that may be negotiable if a film does terrible business in its first week.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2003 01:45 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that Cinemark Tinseltown in Plano, when I was there, ran BullWorth for less than a day. They brought in another copy of a title that opened that weekend.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2003 01:50 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are just ending our run of Party Monster. It has played one show per day for 5 days. Last night it made $7. Good riddence.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2003 02:01 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember running "Dog Park" for 5 days. 4 people for the whole run. And they wanted us to do a huge promotion with the humane society, too [Roll Eyes]

=TMP=

John Carpenter
Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2003 05:18 PM      Profile for John Carpenter   Email John Carpenter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a 16 screen theatre we ran Irreversable for only 3 days... scheduled to run for a week or so, but after our home office saw the weekend results - they called Monday and pulled it right then. Of course there may have been some complaints about it that I never knew about.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2003 06:12 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In New Jersey there have been the odd cases where a film runs less than a full week.

The Montgomery Cinema in Rocky Hill ran The Opposite of Sex for 5 days, then dropped it to open Armageddon. [Roll Eyes] The Regal Commerce Center in North Brunswick ran some Bollywood picture for 5 days, then dropped it to open Sidewalks of New York (day-and-date with Manhattan). The Princeton Garden Theatre ran Novocaine for 5 days, then dropped it to open The Fellowship of the Ring. The AMC Hamilton ran Y Tu Mama Tambien for 6 days, then dropped it to open Star Wars Episode 2.

If memory serves me, the Amboy Multiplex in Sayreville ran The Spanish Prisoner (arthouse film with Steve Martin) for 5 days. That too was dropped to open Armageddon.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-27-2003 06:35 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In mainstream houses here it's not uncommon for a film to be 'pulled' after the first weekend (i.e. it only plays Friday to Sunday) if it really bombs. The most spectacular recent example I can think of is Honest, which was pulled from the whole Odeon chain - around 100 sites if memory serves me correctly - after just three days. It was assumed that the film would do well because it was a vehicle for a successful and well-known 'girl band' pop group. When it became obvious that, regardless of their singing, they couldn't act to save their lives, that was the end of that.

And as Scott says, some arthouse venues will programme titles for just one or two shows.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: