Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » AMC and Loews? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: AMC and Loews?
Bryan Fournier
Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2003 11:17 PM      Profile for Bryan Fournier   Email Bryan Fournier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any truth to the rumor AMC may be trying to aquire Loews Cineplex. Seems logical in an attempt to compete with Regal.

|  IP: Logged

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2003 11:32 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. Interesting - I heard this same rumor yesterday.....

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-17-2003 12:42 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard the same rumor...I don't think it will pass muster in terms of anti-trust...heck the Ziegfeld in New York was a casulty of the last merger on the Cineplex front of Loews and Cineplex. AMC just aquired GCC...

Things are bad enough with LCE, REG and AMC dominating the industry...do they really need to compete less?

Steve

Robert D. LaValley
Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2003 02:32 PM      Profile for Robert D. LaValley   Email Robert D. LaValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard that Regal was in the process of trying to merge with Cinemark but Hollywood was pressing th government to stop this from happening becuase Regal would then have all the power to play whatever they wanted in the US. Major major Monopoly.

Why wouldn't AMC be let to merge with loews? Regal has more screens anyway.. so they wouldn't be a total monopoly.. they still have competion.. Now if AMC merged with Regal.. that could be interesting.

Eventually Regal will just own everything. *laughs*

Franklin Armstrong
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2003 05:14 PM      Profile for Franklin Armstrong   Email Franklin Armstrong   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the rumor i heard it as "Loews Cineplex may be trying to aquire AMC".

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2003 05:34 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to write that this would never pass muster in NYC, but there are only two AMC theaters in NYC - the AMC Empire 25 on 42nd St and the Bay Plaza 13 in the Bronx. There are no Loews Cineplex theaters in the Bronx. The Attorney General might have a problem with Loews owning both sides of the street on 42nd St., but they could always sell off the Loews E-Walk 13 to keep the AMC 25 across the street.

When Loews merged with Cineplex Odeon, they were forced to sell a group of theaters to what became Clearview. With the exception of the 34th St Showplace, all of the theaters sold to Clearview were formerly Cineplex-Odeon theaters. Five of those theaters (10 screens) that went to Clearview are now closed: 59th St East, Olympia Twin, Waverly Twin (soon to be an IFC 3), Park & 86th Twin and the 34th St. Showplace Triplex.

Since the merger of Regal and UA was permitted, I don't see anyone stopping AMC and Loews from merging.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 11-17-2003 06:53 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I heard that Regal was in the process of trying to merge with Cinemark but Hollywood was pressing th government to stop this from happening becuase Regal would then have all the power to play whatever they wanted in the US. Major major Monopoly.

I dougt that is anywhere near true. Cinemark will not merge with anyone unless they have control over what goes on in the home offices. And the issues of domination in markets with one company would definently be an issue in some areas.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-17-2003 07:39 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't Cinemark one of the few "profitable" circuits? Why would they have any need to merge with anyone? It seems like they kick quite a lot of ass in the markets they move into (such as their takeover of the Colorado Springs market).

Well, at least Cinemark was in the black the last time I checked (when all those other circuit bankruptcies were getting filed --such as AMC, Carmike, etc.).

Zach Zagar
Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2003 12:18 AM      Profile for Zach Zagar   Author's Homepage   Email Zach Zagar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may be way wrong, but I thought Cinemark filed first, and that would be why they got out of bankruptcy first.

Also, did AMC ever file? I don't recall hearing that.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2003 12:22 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carmike was the first major to file. I'm not sure if they were the first to emerge from bankruptcy though.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2003 08:49 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinemark never filed during that spell. The company tightened the belts on the theatres by TWO notches. Labor, expenses were watched very carefully.

Of course, customer service took a hit but the company made out fairly well.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2003 06:06 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A big puzzlement if you ask me. AMC is committed to megaplexes while Loews has a number of smaller-yet-profitable multiplexes.

AMC did try to build opposite Loews in New Jersey but backed off. That particular Loews is at the huge Jersey Gardens outlet mall in Elizabeth -- and it's come into its own after a slow start.

The way things are right now I see an AMC-Loews union as blowing smoke. Just like whatever hype is passed to Liz Smith for her newspaper column.

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2003 06:28 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lawerence Tisch the head of Lowe's died over the past weekend. I can imagine his estate may be ready to sell.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 11-18-2003 07:04 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did he have controling stock because the last I heard Sony still held principle stock unless that has changed when the Loews cineplex merger took place.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-18-2003 07:34 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Onex (Canada's 4th largest company) has 51% ownership and 97% voting rights in the Loews Cineplex Group.

Onex took ownership of Loews in 2001 by paying off their debt and restructuring the company to get it out of chapter 11.

The AMC - Loews rumours have been going around for a few weeks, so they likely aren't based on Tisch's recent passing. It's more likely they are based on somebody's speculation inspired by the recently announced (early October) spin-off of Cineplex Odeon Corporation and Galaxy Entertainment.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: