Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Looney Tunes Turnout - WTF (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Looney Tunes Turnout - WTF
John Carpenter
Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2003 08:37 AM      Profile for John Carpenter   Email John Carpenter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it just a freak thing here or did Looney Tunes completely tank everywhere?? We are the busiest theatre in our company and can sell out almost anything they hand to us, but Looney Tunes didn't do a thing yesterday. Its busiest show had only 30 people in it and the 9:00s had about 16 in one and 10 in the other? One matinee didnt even sell any? Of course we were still selling out Love Actually, Elf and even Texas Chainsaw (it wasnt even in a small house yet). Its not that the film was bad - I liked it much more than Elf when I previewed it... what happened???

|  IP: Logged

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2003 08:54 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, you['re not alone. The film sucked, from what I've gathered from those souls brave enough to view it. It just looks like Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Cool World, & SPace Jam all over again. [puke]

Today's matinee figures will tell the tale however.

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2003 09:58 AM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why bother taking the kids to see this and paying $9.50 for you (maybe $19 if two adults), $7.00 for each kid, $5 for popcorn, $10 for drinks - When in just three months you'll be able to buy the DVD for $14.99? The industry is training the public very well, and is causing itself to collapse in on itself... People are just not going to waste their money on such films anymore.... A Playstation would be a better investment.

Scott Balko
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2003 11:29 AM      Profile for Scott Balko   Email Scott Balko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I was beginning to think there was something wrong with me. Had 53 yesterday total!! Glad to here it wasn't just me, although I'm sorry to hear it for business sake. [Frown]

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-15-2003 12:14 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie has zero appeal to me. I don't want to see the classic Looney Tunes characters done with different voices for one thing. This is a 99 cent rental at best, and that's for someone who actually wants to see it, which I don't. [sleep] [thumbsdown]

Andrew Lee
Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2003 01:14 PM      Profile for Andrew Lee   Email Andrew Lee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, I agree. Bugs and the gang are classics and should not be re-issued or recycled. The public has spoken.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 11-15-2003 03:05 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No the public just chooses to go see Elf and Brother Bear. There is just to many kids films out right now. It does not suprise me that Looney Tunes is not performing. Space jam had one thing going for it. MICHAEL JORDAN, what does Looney tunes have Brandin Fraiser, WOOOO! WHOOOOO!

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 11-15-2003 04:36 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve Martin's performance reminded me of Sgt. Bilko... except maybe on steroids.

I thought maybe I was just getting old... but maybe not... For the first time since I started attending screenings, I was actually uncomfortable... just couldn't find a graceful way to leave.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 11-15-2003 05:23 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Jack, no need to feel uncomfortable. When I was at the screening of POPEYE, when the audience reaction was less than enthusiastic, Robtert Altman made no bones about picking himself up and walking out. I don't know why, I thought the film was very enjoyable. A lot better than LOONEY TOONS, THE (LOUSEY) MOVIE. [Smile]

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 11-15-2003 07:04 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn you all, I really liked this movie! And we're doing pretty good attendance wise...not GREAT...just pretty good.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 11-15-2003 10:14 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hey, Jack, no need to feel uncomfortable
Yah... only the problem was that there were only 3 other people in the auditorium... it would have been pretty obvious. [Frown]

Damn us all?..... [Eek!] Hey, Rachel... simple minds over there????

Sorry... had to do that! [evil]

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 11-15-2003 10:50 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Damn us all?..... Hey, Rachel... simple minds over there????
I was just joking, silly!!! [Big Grin]

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 11-15-2003 11:03 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I knew that!

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-15-2003 11:15 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It got a *** (out of four) review from Ebert, and in the IME newsletter it's predicted to have "good legs." So WTF, indeed.

I haven't seen it but just going by the trailers, I think I'm going to feel the same way as most of you (except Rachel) about this one.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 11-15-2003 11:34 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I grew up with these characters. I was expecting... maybe... too much.

Fact is, today's kids aren't watching Looney Tunes. Mine certainly aren't. They're making a valliant effort to establish their own path, and to them, Granny and Tweety are as hip as Frank Sinatra. Personally, I think most of the animation they actually find an interest in on Saturdays seems too stupid for words... but maybe our parents thought the same about us... I doubt it... but maybe so.

In any case, I don't see this film appealing to today's youth... especially considering what it's up against with Brother Bear and Elf. The timing was awful. That means the film has to appeal to my generation, and I personally thought it was sad to see the way they trotted out character after character, with no good excuse to do so.

I personally hope the company can find a way to do better by this genre. After all, I grew up with these guys. They're much more talented than what they were allowed on this picture.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: