Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » I'm hanging it up!!! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: I'm hanging it up!!!
John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2003 10:40 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After 29 years of roving around servicing theatres and other commercial sound equipment, I am quitting December 31st.
I have finally gotten burned out with all the BS of doing business! Unfortunately for the small operators like myself, it has become to cost intensive to continue. It seems like every step forward is cancelled by two steps back! The small town theatres just can't afford the cost of this service anymore. And the larger companies are selling at extremely low profit margins or even direct sales from the manufacturers! I have placed my entire inventory of equipment, NOS parts and supplies up for grabs to some local competitors. I have decided to change vocations entirely! (I will be starting a new job in the spring...not related to the theatre industry at all) It will be nice to be able to come home every night and see my wife and kids! No more 2-3 week trips away from home! However, for you old equipment guys, I will be keeping my collection of antique equipment plus the older parts! (Mainly because anyone in the business would not want them anyway) Plus, I am still working on setting up a museum somewhere in the northwest. I will be playing with the old equipment as a hobby only...I have already sold off my entire film collection so...I will still check in here and visit with the many friends I have made over the years, plus if your working on a 1920s or older machine, I will be around casually to help! If no dealers take my offer of my inventory, I will place items for sale on the open market. I want to get my warehouses cleaned out by the end of the year. For my existing customers, I will still be making my last round of service calls during the next few weeks

|  IP: Logged

Erick Akers
Arse Kicker

- posted 11-15-2003 01:49 AM      Profile for Erick Akers   Email Erick Akers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John,

Sorry to see you go; but if you don't enjoy it anymore, it's time to move forward...

But I'm happy for you and I both completely understand as well as appreciate your decision.

I've been there before, and will probably be there again.

Take Care!!!

Erick

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-15-2003 10:14 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John,
Really sorry to see you go after all these years, we've known each other a really long time, before I even started in this buisness...probably 20 plus years. I did the burnout thing fomr running my own theatre supply before I moved out here to the slower life. On my days off I usually go up in the mountains and chase the coons [Wink] . What occupation are you going after? I know you are also a mason but thats really heavy duty work that'll take its toll on your body!

Please keep in touch from time to time, and are you letting go of your machinery? I would definately show up for that stuff!

Mark

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2003 10:21 AM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys...Mark, I am going to work for a local LTL truck line..Montana Express
doing twice weekly trips to either Sacramento or Butte, MT. With wednesdays and
weekends off! You know how hard it is to get off the road! I did email Dennis a partial inventory..
I am going to keep the machine shop and my hand tools...I am still dabbling in rebuilding old trucks..
It's just become too much like work and no fun anymore!! Keep in touch!

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2003 01:27 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although we've talked only briefly John I know you will be missed. I referred Kevin Roudebush to you. He's opening a house in Salem and is looking for some installation help. Have you been in touch with him? Best of luck.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-16-2003 12:13 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, I am about ready to follow the same path. It will be soon. The industry has been fun for me, for the most part. But it is getting harder and harder for me to maintain an 8 hour shift without being totally exhausted.

It reminds me of some of the lyrics by Niel Young in the song, "Southern Pacific"

"And the tunnel comes
And the tunnel goes
Round another bend
The giant drivers roll.

I rode the Highball
I fired the Daylight
When I turned sixty-five
I couldn't see right.

It was Mr. Jones,
We've got to let you go
It's company policy
You've got a pension though.

Roll on, Southern Pacific
On your silver rails
On your silver rails
Roll on, Southern Pacific
On your silver rails
Through the moonlight.

I put in my time
I put in my time
Now I'm left to roll
Down the long decline."

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-16-2003 04:03 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, Just quit smoking and you'll feel far better in less than 6 months! That way you'd be good for another 20 years at least [Wink] .
Mark

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 11-16-2003 04:33 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do like I did. I gave up the theater biz and started driving a taxi. Now movies are much more fun.

Dave

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 11-16-2003 04:36 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
John, while I've only met you a couple of times and done a limited amount of biz with you, I found you to be a very honest and good person. I'm sorry you are deciding to leave the biz, however, I totally understand and wish you good luck in your future endeavors.

Mark: You are 100% correct! Paul! Get off your ass and quite that evil weed... NOW!!!! [Mad]

>>> Phil

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-16-2003 08:42 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul do like I do smoke a pipe and drink lots of wine and fine ales [Big Grin]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-16-2003 09:31 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,
What Gord didn't mention is that the pipe of his has a really, really funny shape to it...and the wine he drinks is all made right in his own basement. Nipper lives down there too when things start a bubblin...... That [beer] Ale [beer] at the pub down the street from Gord is really good though!!!

Mark @ CLACO

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2003 01:04 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, best wishes for you!

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 11-17-2003 01:48 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am going to work for a local LTL truck line..
John, great minds think alike! I drive for US Xpress! I left the service business last year about this time. You gotta do something, though, I know that feeling. I'm having fun being a truck dweller, but I really would rather be working in the movie business (I'm still making the Screen Attractions trailers, so I'm not completely out).

Good luck to you!

-

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2003 02:20 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well John, I hate to see you go but you gotta do what you gotta do and I wish you all the best. [beer]

Keep in touch there buddy [thumbsup]

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2003 05:21 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, hopefully you can do a few side jobs and stay in the flow of the biz. Any job gets to be old when you do it day in and day out. I ran photo-labs for over 20 years. Got out, but still work in that industry about 20 hours a week, mainly staying on for tech work and such. Its in my blood, at least I think that is what is in it! I'm tiring of managing a theatre, and would rather learn the technical side of the industry. I currently manage a theatre and do most of their tech work, and of course...use my carpenter skills to boot. I only wish that someone in Wisconsin would take me on as a service trainee. I'd jump at it in a heartbeat.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: