Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Midnight Movies

Author Topic: Midnight Movies
Timothy Ervin
Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2003 03:51 PM      Profile for Timothy Ervin   Email Timothy Ervin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone do any type of special midnight movies? What kind of films do you show? How is "Rocky Horror" holding up on the midnight circuit? I am thinking of doing a midnight movie line up and wanted some feedback.

|  IP: Logged

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2003 06:14 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Book DONNIE DARKO, or MONTY PYTHONS HOLY GRAIL. They are both winners, and have donw well with us. GOONIES and WILLY WONKA are two that I will try for in the summer of 2004. Cult films like Halloween or Friday the 13th do well in October. Our midnights do a helluva better business in the summer months, than any other time of the year. Go figure, no school!

John McConnel
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2003 09:33 PM      Profile for John McConnel   Author's Homepage   Email John McConnel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ROCKY HORROR has to have a cast performing along with it to do business. And then it's moderate to slow, except for Halloween.

Micheal Turlock
Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2003 12:52 AM      Profile for Micheal Turlock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We has 5 Midnight Movie For the 5 Friday Nights in October... Some did Really good, other not so much...
"The Excorsict: The Version you've never seen" - 25 people,
"Freddy vs Jason" SOLD OUT - 250 people,
"Cabin Fever" - 100 people,
"The Lost Boys" - 75 people
and our Holloween Movie "House of 1000 Corpses - only 15 people...

The Cult-type movies will always have better turnouts, but i think a lot of it depends on location and the type of customers that you have.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 11-17-2003 07:38 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We ran Goonies a few years back and had somewhere between 300-400 people. Fight Club did well, MAtrix did well several years back. We are thinking of dropping them, however, as the crowds are dwindling. PINK FLOYD: THE WALL kicked ass as well.

Josh

Zach Zagar
Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2003 12:19 AM      Profile for Zach Zagar   Author's Homepage   Email Zach Zagar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure if anyone else does it, but my chain (Goodrich Quality Theaters) runs late shows EVERY Friday and Saturday (current releases) between 11 pm and 12 AM.

Every time we try special series or films late at night, they usually don't do well because of our typical weekend late shows.

Brian Hogan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2004 03:04 AM      Profile for Brian Hogan   Email Brian Hogan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
can anyone suggest some more winning titles for special midnight shows? i am trying to book GOONIES for the end of april because it has done well for us in the past.

trying to find a feature for may and then some for the slow fall season.

Chris Medley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2004 03:29 PM      Profile for Chris Medley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Medley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if you could get it...but if you promoted it you could fill the house for a couple of nights in a row with "Cannibal Holocaust"...I think only 12 prints in circuit now...but it's a cult classic. If you live in a huge church town I wouldn't try it because...well...it just wouldn't be a good idea [thumbsup]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-23-2004 03:36 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a college town, try Princess Bride. Also consider the recently released Lost Skeletons of Cadavra, which is funny as hell. If you can figure out how to license the music, you might also try Wizard of Oz with the Pink Floyd/Dark Side of the Moon soundtrack.

I second the recommendations for Donnie Darko and Holy Grail.

Bryan J Arseneau
Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2004 02:45 AM      Profile for Bryan J Arseneau   Email Bryan J Arseneau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
try Oz Dark Side, where you run Wizard of Oz to the Pink Floyd Dark Side CD.
Works , BUT you will have the audience from H*****

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2004 06:53 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Columbus is a college town, & is large enough to be one that has occasional events on the order of big city-wide known events like parties, sports events, etc.

The best midnight movie programming I've seen is tied to looking ahead on the calendar to see what will be pulling lots of buzz & (not neccessarily) attendance on the weekend & programming a feature that ties into it. You get the build-up from the buzz, the slop-over from the crowd, & repeat buisness from the newbies after the show for the next one.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2004 09:15 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If Brian is still at the Lennox 24, he is literally a "stones throw" from The Ohio State University. It would definitely be a college crowd in attendance.

Brian Hogan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2004 03:38 PM      Profile for Brian Hogan   Email Brian Hogan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes, my theatre is right next to OSU. we have done the midnight movie thing many years ago and have had success. i wanted to get it rolling again, but i also wanna change up the product a bit. i want use some newer titles that will still do as well as the old ones. any thoughts for newer titles?

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2004 01:22 AM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Donnie Darko. By far a great midnight flick. If you are in no hurry to book it, you can wait until the Directors Cut is released this summer.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-26-2004 05:15 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's already at least one print of the "festival version" in circulation that I know at least one theatre received without actually asking for it.

Not sure if this was by intention or a TES screwup.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: