Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » What to put in a C.V.

Author Topic: What to put in a C.V.
James Falloon
Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2003 02:55 AM      Profile for James Falloon   Email James Falloon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, well I need to get another job, so what do you guys and girls up in admin land want to see in a CV that will get me in the door, or at least on a list or something.

Currently I'm employed at a theatre mostly as a projectionist, but at our place it's not unusual to end up doing tickets and sweets as well. Projection and putting on a show is my real passion, but I feel I've outgrown my theatre. I want to work fulltime, and would prefer projection.

So what kind of stuff should I put on a CV that floats your boat, so to speak? Any suggestions appreciated?

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-11-2003 09:05 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think a lot of it depends on how the recruitment process works. If you're asked to send a letter and a CV, then the CV has to do a lot more work than if the application is a form with the CV as a supporting document. But whatever way it's done, the application as a whole has to (i) show that you have the required skills and experience for the job, (ii) explain what, as a person, you can bring to the table if you got the job, and (iii) explain why you want the job.

The first one is pretty simple, but make sure you cover it. If the advert asks for formal qualifications, state that you have them. For example I was recently on the interview panel for a post, one of the requirements of which was a full driving licence. Of the 30-odd applications we received, only 5 actually said on the form that its author had a driving licence. I'm sure most of the other candidates could drive but thought it too obvious to state. But the bottom line is that if they don't tell us we can't shortlist them.

2 - as well as ticking the boxes to say that you fulfil the basic requirements, tell us something about your particular strengths and how they might be useful. So if, for example, you were applying for a job in an arthouse or rep cinema, being able to show an interest in rare film formats would be an advantage.

3 - why do you want the job? Even if the real answer is 'because I've got to get a job somewhere', think up something a bit more convincing! This can be an important point, especially if you are applying for a post which means relocating a significant distance. Giving a reason for this (e.g. partner's job has been relocated to area) will reduce the risk of an employer wondering whether, if (s)he does offer you the job, if you'd be likely to stay and give it long-term commitment.

If you're sending a CV 'blind' to potential employers rather than in response to a specific vacancy then it's a slightly different kettle of fish: you want to show the employer that you are qualified and experienced in their general line of work rather than for a specific post. Make it short and sweet - do not send a 15-page epic which includes a detailed description of every projector you've ever laced up! When I was in the cinema business I'd quite frequently get 'blind CVs'. If a quick glance revealed that someone could probably do the job and had a sensible reason for wanting to work here, I'd file it. When a vacancy came up, I'd go through the CV file and invite suitable people to apply. If I did not get that positive impression from a five-minute skim read of the CV then I'd also file it - in the small round filing cabinet on the floor.

I'd also suggest making sure that all spelling and grammar is correct. Maybe this is just a personal prejudice on my part, but if (apart from an odd typo) the written English in someone's CV (a formal document) is sloppy, that says to me that other aspects of his/her work are likely to be sloppy, too.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-11-2003 09:19 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't it be more fun to list what not to put in your resume, or CV for those educated snobs. [Big Grin]

Seriously though, if you want a projectionist job at a local commercial mainstream theatre, your resume or CV probably isn't the most important thing to worry about. You'd have better luck applying in person with a one page resume that basically says what theatres you've worked at, what you ran, and a couple of references. Better yet, get to know a projectionist there, if you can, and get them to get you hired.

Others may disagree, but I've never got a job by writing stuff out on a piece of paper. Walking into the place and telling them to hire me has proven far more effective. [Smile]

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 11-12-2003 09:49 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a difference between a CV and a resume? I had always assumed they were one-in-the-same.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-12-2003 09:54 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Resumes are generally oriented towards past work experience whereas curriculum vitas are more education oriented.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: