Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Matrix Revolutions turnout? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Matrix Revolutions turnout?
Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2003 03:52 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can say that this film has, indeed, lived up to my expectations.

I expected us to not be overly busy today.
I expected the film to be as *yaaaawn* interesting as the 2nd.
I expected that it would be a mere waste of my time having to come in one of my regularly scheduled days off.
I expect that I'm not the only theatre/individual to experience the same.

OR, maybe it's the weather. 75 and sunny here.

OR, maybe everyone is on the way to hang out and dive at Phil's. Oh wait, he doesn't have a pool.. and I'm not into tub diving...or dumpster diving. Hope that doesn't stir up any horrific memories for you Phil. [Big Grin]

Seriously,
How is the turnout for everyone else? Very light here, similar to the polls yesterday. [uhoh]

And I didn't bother to screen the film last night. I simply could not get motivated to be here on BOTH my regular days off.

|  IP: Logged

Robert D. LaValley
Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2003 04:01 PM      Profile for Robert D. LaValley   Email Robert D. LaValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to see it at a local regal, there was about 10 people for the 1:05 show.. they have it on 6 screens.. so I didn't expect to be sitting near people on a Wednesday afternoon. I think probably this weekend will be alot busier accross the board for everyone playing this.. BUT I got a feeling even though I am a fan and it was good, I don't think it will do as well as people think it will.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-05-2003 08:37 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The media "buzz" on it is certainly nothing like the last one.

Maybe all the magazines etc. felt like they'd given enough space to "Matrix" topics already this year.

Travis Hubrig
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2003 09:12 PM      Profile for Travis Hubrig   Email Travis Hubrig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have it on 3 screens, this afternoon was decent...
tonight it did well... sold about 520 seats out of 600 for the first three evening shows. Sold out one of the two late shows.
It is about 10 degrees outside and snowing so that might have something to do with it.

I watched it last night, wasn't as good as I hoped it would be.
I am curious to see how long it stays around.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 11-05-2003 09:14 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The figures for wednesdays numbers will be in tomorrow. they expect them to be rather high for a wednesday opening. Most locations have apparently sold out or come close to selling out. I saw it this morning at 10 am and it sold about 400 seats, with the rest of the days shows nearly sold out by the time we got out.

If you are experiencing slow turnout, remember that this is opening on 10 thousand screens worldwide. It will not be as full as you would like, but plan on big crowds this weekend.

The movie is bland, but it is a fan base movie, not a critics choice.

It will do very well money wise.

Dave

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2003 10:58 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This afternoon was fairly slow. However, out of the 4 shows tonight, only one (the one I was in) did not sell out. However, my show was very very full. We received two copies, but our crosstown rivals got 4 or 5. Do they really expect it to do THAT much business? I think this weekend it will do fairly well.

AJG

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2003 11:23 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How many theatres were playing a REALLY early show? The local Regal/Edwards here started it at 4:30am!

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2003 11:25 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(deleted my double post)

John Scott
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2003 11:45 PM      Profile for John Scott   Email John Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
4:30 am?

I thought the embargo time on the west coast was 6am?

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2003 12:09 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK. I just checked. While YAHOO showtimes showed a 4:30am start, the times on the REGAL website showed 6am as the first show.

John Scott
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2003 12:49 AM      Profile for John Scott   Email John Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That makes sense at 6am then because global rollout hit Eastern Time Zone at 9am, Central at 8am, which would mean it would hit pacific at 6am.

BTW, this global rollout thing sucked. We probabably did half the business we would have done had we been able to had a sneak last night with interlocks.

Bill Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2003 10:12 AM      Profile for Bill Carter   Email Bill Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely agree on the silly rollout time. We would have sold out a midnight without question. At 8am I wasn't even a quarter full. Meanwhile, I had been getting calls for about three days asking if there was a midnight first show.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2003 04:19 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are you guys talking about? Everyone was sitting in there thinking "wow I'm watching the Matrix at the same time someone in France is."

Yeah, I think that was probably the worst marketing gimmick ever. The midnight shows definitely would have made more money. For every midnight that I can remember (LOTR 1, 2, Matrix reloaded and episode two) we sold out all 4 of our big houses approx 2000 seats.

The shows were steadily about 3/4 full from the first show until 4pm when I left but it looked pretty busy about 10pm when I drove by.

Dan Harris
Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2003 06:19 PM      Profile for Dan Harris   Email Dan Harris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not doing very well here so far. On Weds, 873 admissions out of a possible 2028. Even less today I think. Still, the weekend will be the real test.

Dan

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-06-2003 06:28 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't call running a film at 43% capacity on a Wednesday, during the school year, not very good.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: