Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Employee Passes (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Employee Passes
Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2003 02:53 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinemark is about to embark on new pass guidelines for employees.

I was wondering what other circuits do in regards to employee passes? For both single and married workers.

Thanks
Paul

|  IP: Logged

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 11-02-2003 11:31 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're pretty small, so our policy is somewhat informal. Generally, an employee can come out to the drive-in on any night he/she's not on duty. Family is welcome, as is one guest. The employee must accompany the family or guest. We relax the "must accompany/when not on duty" rule a little when we're open weekends & the employee is working all 3 days.

Our indoor runs about the same, though there's a limit of 1 visit per week.

Our local (former) GCC outlet used to put a couple of passes into each employees pay envelope. They could save/use them as they pleased, but could not get any more until the next payday. That might now be a problem with the studios' 1%/2% rule, but it seemed to work well back then.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2003 12:36 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being dependant we can make it up as we go along. These are the rules so far.

An employee in good standing may come anytime they wish, if they haven't been previously scheduled. We have had instances of employees calling in sick and then showing up for a film. Shows severe lack of judgment.

They may bring one friend. Additional friends must pay. This rule is flexible.

Soda and popcorn are not part of the bargain. This is where the employees ignore me completely.

We value parents; so parents can come (with prior notice) to any show without the employee accompanying them.

Friends are never let in on passes without the employee accompanying them.

Fridays and Saturday nights are to be avoided, but not completely. If there are seats, the employees are welcome to them.

We encourage our employees to see our films because the ability to discuss films with our patrons is one of the areas that separate us from the competition.

We even allow our employees to attend "print verification screenings" as long as it doesn't turn in to a party. Friends are strictly forbidden.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 11-02-2003 02:27 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the location I work at as of yesterday:

Employee plus ONE guest to any non special engagement movie, as long as it's not expected to sell out. Also employees may only watch movies when they have scheduled availability.

Marcial Feliciano Ramos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2003 04:12 PM      Profile for Marcial Feliciano Ramos   Email Marcial Feliciano Ramos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have the chance to go with the family or one friend, any day of the week after its first open weekend. So if you are looking foward to see a movie really bad you have to pay or wait til monday hopping isnt a holiday. the snacks we have to buy it.

R. Andrew Diercks
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2003 04:27 PM      Profile for R. Andrew Diercks   Email R. Andrew Diercks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our company is fairly informal. The manager is expected to adjust for his/her theatre based on whether it is abused or not. Basically immediate family living in the household are welcome. One non-family guest per week and we ask that they avoid weekends and holidays. Popcorn and soda are free to employee, not guests. Employees are also welcome at other theatres in our company, but no guests are allowed free of charge. I attempt to gather employees for viewing when the film is screened. It's fun and avoids pass concerns.

Tony Ratcliff
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2003 01:44 PM      Profile for Tony Ratcliff   Email Tony Ratcliff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also am an indepedent.
Employees can come basically when they want.

Immediate family is welcome as well. I like getting to know the parents - works out for when the employee is messing up, because the parents sometimes ask how their Susie is working out. Plus it helps to be in good with parents when you have to schedule someone that conflicts with family plans.

Non-family guests must be accompanied by the employee.

Everyone has to buy concessions at regular price up until their 5-year anniversary. At 5yrs, our sign of appreciation to them is that the employee gets all they want of popcorn and drinks for free any time ( to be consumed by the employee him/herself only ).

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-03-2003 01:46 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine works part time for a small theatre chain in suburban Chicago. We sometimes attend shows at "her" theatre. She makes sure it's ok with the manager on duty and the box issues a couple of passes.

One time earlier this year she asked to not be scheduled a given weekend as she would be hosting a bunch of friends from out of town. The group decided that it would be fun to take in a film so they headed over to this same theatre. She secured two passes as she would ordinarily do while all the others paid regular admission.

Later she received a reprimand along the lines of 'if you could come to the movie to watch you could have worked.' Now mind you she had not been deceptive in asking for the time off, didn't claim to be out of town nor ill. And as an hourly employee it shouldn't matter what she does on her own time anyway. But the logic of being loyal to one's own employer and bringing them paying customers who buy tickets and concessions was a bit over the head of this particular manager and she was forbidden from getting any passes for a period afterwards. Naturally now given the same circumstances she delivers her friends' business straight into the welcoming arms of AMC or Loews.

This firm clearly gets an "F" for employee relations and, yes, that is a hint as to the name of the company. [Mad]

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2003 02:24 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Paul, I heard we're changing the pass policy. However, I always thought that the change (yourself and one other person ONLY) was always in effect except for the manager. Our particular location was always fairly leniant as far as passes went, so I hope these new "changes" won't change things too much. Of course, it is usually just myself and a guest or just me. Besides, being a projectionist, I get to screen most of the time with management. However, I feel for those who want to bring their kids or parents. We get paid [bs] and the passes are a nice perk. Why be so strict to employees who are respectable?

AJG

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2003 02:51 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If passes are not controlled, you eventually are letting the whole neighborhood in for free.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-04-2003 04:52 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony--five years? How many employees do you have who have worked at your theatre that long? I'd be very impressed if it were more than a handfull. With exceptions for managers and projectionists, most theatres I know have much faster employee turnover, since most floor staff are students, part-timers, etc.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2003 07:54 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have "Season Pass" cards which are good for the holder and one guest as often as you care to present it. Theoretically they are not valid for the first two weeks of certain special engagements, or Friday and Saturday at the discretion of management. I have never seen anyone turned away--special engagement, Friday, Saturday, or whatever!

Tony Ratcliff
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2003 12:44 PM      Profile for Tony Ratcliff   Email Tony Ratcliff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,
I have 2 employees with over 5 years.
One is an assistant manager.
The other is a gentleman who has worked for the theatre for over 40 years (started when he was 11). I think he plans on dying in the box office, which is where he is EVERY Fri, Sat and Sun.

I've had several make is over 3 years and a couple over 4 years before quitting.

I'd say that the average time that people work for me is about 1 1/2 - 2 years. They usually start when they are 16, then quit when they go away to college. But then that is the type of kid I try to hire - one that is college-bound material.

Getting back on topic - I do not think that it is a co-incidence that I don't have much trouble with my pass policy, since I have been able to (for the most part) hire good, honest kids.

Tony

Lance C. McFetridge
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2003 06:09 AM      Profile for Lance C. McFetridge   Email Lance C. McFetridge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reading eveyone else's policy may make me reconsider mine. I only give the employees free admission and they must buy any concession. I too have some long term kids working there. They started in high school, went to college, came back to a real job and still work nights and weekends at the theatre. A total staff of 10, three have been here 7 plus years.
lance

Blake Zaugg
Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2003 03:44 PM      Profile for Blake Zaugg   Email Blake Zaugg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Employee and one guest free. They can come anytime as many times as they want. The only stipulation is that if the show is expected to sell out or does sellout, they should give up their seat to a paying customer or pay themselves.

Employees don't get any discount at the concession, but aren't forced to purchase anything either.

Passes are a privilege, not a right. If an employee is on a leave of absence, their pass privileges are suspended.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: