Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » School closures due to San Diego fires boosts movie attendance

Author Topic: School closures due to San Diego fires boosts movie attendance
Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2003 10:17 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the San Diego Union-Tribune, 10/29/2003...

======

With schools closed, students and families go to the theaters

By Lola Sherman and Liz Neely
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITERS

October 29, 2003

School's out because of the brush fires, but there's no playing outside because of the lousy air quality.

So what's a kid to do?

For that matter, what's anyone with the day off to do?

Lots of people are going to the movies.

Theaters around the county are reporting full houses and record ticket sales for weekdays, and some are so busy that they've had to bring in extra help.

"We're just getting slammed today," said Damon Rubio, vice president of Carlsbad-based UltraStar Cinemas, yesterday. "Ticket sales on Monday were probably 10 times higher than normal" at the company's six area theaters.

Record weekday crowds were reported by employees at the AMC theaters in Encinitas, and ticket sales were also brisk at Madstone Theaters in Mission Valley.

"On a typical Tuesday we sell about 150 to 200 tickets for the whole day and already we've sold 300 in the two hours we've been open," said Madstone assistant manager Joe Richter yesterday afternoon.

Many shows were sold out at the Grossmont Center Stadium 10 in La Mesa's Grossmont Shopping Center, and extra workers were called in to handle the crowds, said projectionist Austin Starr.

As lines backed up at the Moviemax Theater box office in Carlsbad yesterday, Robert Sheffield said it was the busiest day in the 16 months he has owned the theater.

Kelly Thorsch, 13, rushing to see "Scary Movie 3," said she was enjoying sleeping in in the mornings and then taking off to the local theater.

Friends Taylor Knepper and Alene Spindel, both 14, said this is no time to go to the beach, so they went to the movies for the second day in a row.

Cheryl and Ted Taylor of Carlsbad, with sons, Mitchell, 9, and Dillon, 12, said they thought the movies would be the best place for the family on a smoky day.

"It's safe," Ruth Gardner of Oceanside said. "Your eyes will not burn like on the golf course."

Lola Sherman: (760) 476-8241; lola.sherman@uniontrib.com

Neely: (760) 476-8239; liz.neely@uniontrib.com

=======

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 10-30-2003 05:25 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second that! Our tues/wed attendance has been weekend like!

quote:
Many shows were sold out at the Grossmont Center Stadium 10 in La Mesa's Grossmont Shopping Center
Yeah, that can happen when 7 of your 10 theatres only have 100 seats. (Beautiful 3 plex that got chopped into 8 tiny little theatres in 1995, then added on to 1998 - the 2 new theatres are actually pretty emense at 400 & 600 seats.

[ 10-30-2003, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: Mike Olpin ]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-30-2003 07:16 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yes, our theatres were stormed!

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2003 11:49 AM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have any theatres been damaged by the fires?

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2003 05:56 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this looks like a case in which the people in charge of evacuations are . . . well assholes. I recognize that public safety is important, and so is the safety of school kids, but why are the schools closed and the theatres are not. A theatre can burn just as well as a school. I'll bet that very few schools in the San Diego area are actually in danger, or even the air quality around those institutions are even serious enough to warrent closure. Here in Pennsylvania when we experience a massive snow storm, schools close, but so does non essential business as well. In this example, that means theatres too. Who in the hell gave schools permission to close schools and left all other businesses open? I don't want to sound like an alarmist, or some pro-school zealot in which kids must be in class come hell or high water, but come on . . . close schools, but leave theatres open [Confused] . Schwarzenegger said California's education system sucked, this prooves it to me. Sorry if that seems political, but remember that this thread is about schools closing while theatre attendence skyrockets. These questions must be answered.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2003 11:39 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron,

By your last post, you make it seem like you've been in the theatre business, say, oh, about 2 days.

Dont' you know it's all about money?.

Corporate greed is a wonderful thing. Pair that with public idiocy and you've got a money making combination. It's proven time and time again here along the SC coast during hurricane season. Yes, we have a category 3 (or whatever it may be) storm heading our way. We are allowed to close when, and only when, the Governor announces a mandatory evacuation. No sooner. That leaves myself, a select few other employees and managers, the time to get home and hurridly rush through getting things in order with our own homesonly AFTER ensuring our workplace is fortified. And, as you would guess, as SOON as the evacuation is lifted, our doors are to re-open.

It is a haphazard Pain in the Ass, but it must be done. Why? Because I work for THEM and THEY say so. Otherwise, it would be a little different.

One thing I can clearly state.. we always make good money during these times which just proves (to me) that the general public is, most times, a stupid bunch indeed. [eyes]

Ya heard it here first! [Smile]

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2003 11:55 AM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason,
Yes, I realize it is all about the money, but seriously, why close schools and leave theatres open? Is the money really that important? And what does this say about the average guy in San Diego. "Hey, my house is on fire - but fuck it I'm going to a movie!" Moreover, (and I know this is a big question), where is the brains of the district managers, and/or corporate officers in this case? They probably realize that somebody on any given staff in any given area near the fire lines has a home, or homes of realatives that may be on fire. Are their minds going to be on customer service? You know the answer. The same could be said for your area as well when hurricanes sweep in, like Hugo did in, what 1988, or something.

I guess my point is that I whole-heartedly disagree with BS policies such as what the theatre industry practices in which natural disasters equal advanced revenues. This also sends a false message to the average San Diegoan that if theatres are open, this is my chance to see "Radio" or "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" instead of doing my part to help save my home or my family. You know what . . . maybe I'm blowing this all out of proportion, but I am absolutely disgusted with what I read here [Mad] .

And for the record it will be 13 years in January, 2004 [Razz]

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2003 01:15 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron,

We're on the same page, trust me. I knew you'd been in the business a while I was only jerking your chain.. I guess it worked.. LOL..

16 years last week myself.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: