Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Theatre closed for a week or two? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Theatre closed for a week or two?
Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2003 12:25 AM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our gigantic larger than life mega theatre The Coronet here in San Francisco is closed as of today. There are no listings in the paper or on the Internet, and I drove past and the marquee is blank. However, they still have posters up in the cases in front advertising The Matrix Revolutions and Lord Of The Rings 'Coming Soon (to the) Coronet Theatre'.

They were open as of last night (as far as I know). They had been showing House Of The Dead for the last two weeks. (Although who's been going to see that?)

So what's happened? Could they really have shut down for a week and a half? Gone on vacation? OR, is it possible they could not book anything for a week and a half, and just decided to close down to cut costs?

I mean, there's tons of movies out there. They could have gotten *something* to play I'm guessing? Was it possible they overbooked House Of The Dead for 3 1/2 weeks until the Matrix will come out, and then nobody was showing up to see the movie so it was yanked, with no replacement? This is the first time in over 50 years the tower marquee has been dark on a Friday night. It is so bizarre...

The Coronet is a UA/Regal operation. Their other theatres down the street (Alexandria and Stonestown) have no trouble turning over movies every week or every other week. So what is up with The Coronet? I just don't understand... [Confused]

Also, if indeed they plan on re-opening Nov. 05th for Matrix Revolutions, they could have at least put that up on the marquee instead of leaving it completely blank.... [Roll Eyes]

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 10-25-2003 01:26 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Coronet has been scheduled to close permanently as of several years ago- Perhaps its time has finally run out... [Frown]

It is supposed to be razed to become an office complex.

-Aaron

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2003 03:09 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i heard it was going to be an old folks' home or somesuch. maybe revolutions and l.o.r. are going to another ua and they didn't have the right "snipes".

be sure and post if interesting things start piling up in their dumpster. i wonder what will happen to that length of (faded!) 70mm film in the window. anyone know what it's from?

carl

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2003 01:30 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, The Coronet is scheduled to close and be bulldozed to make way for a senior center, but last I heard that wasn't going to happen until mid 2004....

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2003 02:16 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Time table just been moved up.

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2003 09:35 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's what I'm talking about...

-

The marquee is blank, yet there are 'coming soon' posters:

-

There is also a Lord Of The Rings poster that actually has a sign on it 'Coming Soon Coronet Theatre'. (I could only upload two pictures to the forum.) Also, the box office still has power on to the ticket machine, and the computer monitor has the Regal Logo screen saver bouncing around on it. Yet... the theatre is closed... [Confused]

Aaron Sisemore

- posted 10-25-2003 10:41 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When Blumenfeld closed both Regencys, the Royal, and the Alhambra, they cleared the marquees, but left the posters in the outside cases, the schedule sign with the showtimes posted in the box office, and most of the standees, etc still sitting on the lobby floor.

Most likely the decision to close was given (it can happen THAT fast and without warning- it did just that in the case of some of the Blumenfeld locations) and the people that have the keys to access the cases were not available to unlock the cases and remove the posters.

If there was no signage giving a reopening date or saying 'temporarily closed', you can be sure its closed for good, at least under that management/ownership.

-Aaron

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 10-26-2003 01:10 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hell, we had a theater here that belonged to the old company I worked for years ago. A big truck pulled up in front of the building and notified the manager that they were going to be loading up the concession equipment and dismanteling the projection booth as soon as the last show was over. The manager was shocked did not know anything about it. Had to make emergency phone calls to find out what was going on. That is how fast they can shut them down. Yo can be sitting in the movie and someone comes along, exscuse me sir can you stand up a minute. Next thing you know your seat is gone. [Big Grin]

Aaron Sisemore

- posted 10-26-2003 03:34 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darryl, thats pretty much the same thing that happened when we dismantled the Meridian Quad 6 a few years ago. The equipment was still warm as it was headed out to the trucks, and the platters were dismantled as soon as the last films on them were broken down...

-Aaron

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2003 10:19 AM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I see. But why then would they leave the computers on and running in the box office?

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 10-26-2003 11:45 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's weird. You'd think they'd at least put something on the Marquee.

Why would anybody close a theatre a week and a half before one of the largest movies of the year is set to come out?

Perhaps they're taking the time to clean up the theatre and prepare. Who knows? I doubt they've left altogether.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 10-26-2003 12:16 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Keep in mind that REG closed the UA Colma 6 just a week ago. Granted, the Colma 6 had already been beaten into submission by the Century Daly City 20.

I've been called in to close theaters on a week or less notice. "Um, yeah, you don't have bookings this week." or "Um, yeah, you know those bookings you received on Monday? Well, you won't be opening for business tomorrow [Friday]. I'm here to audit you and make your final deposit." Some theaters deserved it, but the employees usually didn't.

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2003 12:23 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The newspaper today still lists the theatre, but simply says 'no shows today'.

Aaron Sisemore

- posted 10-26-2003 02:32 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But why then would they leave the computers on and running in the box office?
Assuming that they never turn any of the computers off (many places don't), they probably are awaiting their final audits from corporate, thus they just left 'em on.

-Aaron

Mike Williams
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2003 04:12 PM      Profile for Mike Williams   Email Mike Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Coronet will re-open November 5th.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: