Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Costumes for the staff on Halloween?

Author Topic: Costumes for the staff on Halloween?
Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2003 02:45 AM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you allow your staff to dress up in costumes on the Halloween shift?

If yes, do you have any guidelines posted or just trust the judgement of the staff?

We are considering it, but wanted some feedback on if it’s a positive environment and if the staff will actually wear a costume.

|  IP: Logged

Jarred Olsen
Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2003 06:22 AM      Profile for Jarred Olsen   Email Jarred Olsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our theater is attached to a mall, so we participate in a trick-or-treat handout for the kiddies. One special person who works on Halloween gets to wear the Front Row Joe costume! I sure hope its me! Yay! [thumbsup]

While I'm just an employee, I would think it would be super cool if everyone dressed up. Concessionists as crazy butchers, ushers as zombies (from the Cinemark customer service video), managers as vampires (no makeup, would probably keep pretty close to typical dress code)

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-23-2003 07:45 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Encouraging employees to dress as characters from movies, with a contest for best costume voted by customers, could be used as a promotion. Post pictures of each "character" and have customers "vote" by depositing their ticket stub as they leave the theatre.

Gordon Bachlund
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2003 06:23 PM      Profile for Gordon Bachlund   Author's Homepage   Email Gordon Bachlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the "good old days" theatre managers were more promotion minded, and this always paid off at the box office. I remember Keno Nights, Dish Nights, Grocery Bag Nights and other gimmicks that spiced up what would otherwise have been slow evenings.

At one neighborhood house I worked in the 60s, I was required to use a follow spot with a UV filter to illuminate a pair of fluorescent gloves worn by another staff person, as the "ghostly hands" did a little dance in front of the title curtain. The kids loved it.

My opinion would be to take advantage of whatever promotion you can muster, like costumes on Halloween, to add sparkle to your theatre. Happy experiences yield repeat customers.

Blake Zaugg
Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2003 12:41 AM      Profile for Blake Zaugg   Email Blake Zaugg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A little late on the posting, but our employees are alway super excited to dress up. Every year they amaze me with what they come up with. We give some Restaurant GC's for best costume prizes. We also have a pumpkin carving contest for the staff too, and have customers pick the winner via ballot. No masks, and their costume can't be too restrictive on their tasks either.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: