Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Stein Industries popcorn poppers

Author Topic: Stein Industries popcorn poppers
Andy Bergstrom
Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2003 10:57 AM      Profile for Andy Bergstrom   Email Andy Bergstrom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have any experience with the Stein Industries King Popper popcorn popper? Would appreciate any feedback. We presently have one that is popping very slowly.

Thank,
Andy

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-20-2003 11:11 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it drawing the rated current? Have you measured the line voltage to be sure it is within specifications? Defective thermostat?

Travis Hubrig
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2003 11:19 AM      Profile for Travis Hubrig   Email Travis Hubrig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not familiar with that popper,

We have a Cretors Headliner, it has a thermostat in it to prevent the kettle from overheating, when that went bad it would pop slowly. Do you have a manual for the popper? It may have instructions for thermostat adjustment.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2003 12:35 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a brand new 32oz. Gold Medal popper that was giving us fits when we first opened. Any combination of the 5 switches in the top of the unit would produce different results each time you flipped them. We finally figured out if you turned everything else off except the kettle motor and kettle heat it would pop corn. If we tried to have any of the other switches on.... there wasn't enough power to heat the heat.

After a month of putting up with this, I called for a service tech who traced the problem back to our power panel. When the electrical contractor ran the circuit for the popper, the NEUTRAL wire wasn't stripped to expose the conductor. The set screw holding the wire into the breaker was clamped on the insulation, thus it wasn't getting any contact. As soon as he fixed that... no problems since.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2003 01:10 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andy,

It sounds like one of the heating elements may have gone bad. I haven't worked with one of those poppers in while though.................

Andy Bergstrom
Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2003 02:32 PM      Profile for Andy Bergstrom   Email Andy Bergstrom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I should have provided you with more info. Have installed new elements to correct wrong voltage (208 vs. 240). Voltage at receptacle is 214v. Have heard rumours that this popper had some
problems with circuit boards. It presently takes about 7-8 minutes to pop a batch of popcorn.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-20-2003 03:10 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are sure you received the 208 volt elements? The 240 volt elements would certainly be slower to heat with 214 volts line voltage.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2003 05:10 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does Stein actually build poppers? I thought they just stuck a Cretors kettle in their (Stein's) cabinet.

Marc Jones
Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2003 06:02 PM      Profile for Marc Jones   Email Marc Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you say receptacle are you referring to the wall or Kettle,
maybe if you compare the 2 and if there a considerable difference. I would think it is in the kettle heat circuit either contactor or switch. Also look at condition the main power plug, I have seen the contacts burn up there before too.

BTW if you don't feel comfortable doing this call an electrician or tech.

Good luck

Andy Bergstrom
Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2003 10:45 AM      Profile for Andy Bergstrom   Email Andy Bergstrom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a quick update,
Replaced the thermostat control and took care of the problem. I would like to give a big thanks to Stein Industries for all their help. Great company to deal with.

Thanks for all the help everyone,
Andy

Justin West
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2003 03:51 AM      Profile for Justin West   Email Justin West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Incidentally, Stein has a small write-up (advertisement?) somewhere in the back pages of the latest BoxOffice magazine...regarding their popcorn popper.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: