Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » ? on UPSELLING! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Author Topic: ? on UPSELLING!
Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2003 08:12 PM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone have any tips or suggestions on how we can get our concession people to UPSELL to our customers? We tried
a couple of different things with them, but usually they just end up asking "Anything else with that?" and the usual answer is NO. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Paul

|  IP: Logged

Kyle Caudill
Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2003 08:46 PM      Profile for Kyle Caudill   Email Kyle Caudill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Either hold incentive costs or just explain to them it is their job. If they do not do it, dont schedule them. Also make it mandatory if they want a raise.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-16-2003 09:54 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I were in your place, I would work alongside those concessionaires as much as I could to "show by doing" and also help them with their technique as well as their confidence. In my case I was simply shy about upselling at first and I felt less awkward with more practice. Funny thing: I got better results the more "natural" I became at upselling.

An "Employee of the Month" program can be a very effective tool. The best EotM program I've ever seen included a cash bonus and first choice of shifts.

The selection of EotM could be based on statistics such as number of customers served, total sales, average transaction, overages/shortages as well as grooming and punctuality. I have seen it done this way as a special incentive for concession workers.

By the way, at that theatre a different motivational system was used for the booth (number of days since the last screw-up) and box office (similar to concession but without factoring average transactions).

If upselling is important enough to be mandatory -- and I believe that it is -- then it is worth the investment of time, energy and cost involved in monitoring the consistent application and effectiveness of whatever approach your company takes. If you can see a dramatic improvement in your overall sales and your per cap. then it is definitely worth rewarding.

But let's be practical -- Mandating and enforcing upselling can quickly lead us into the realm of micromanagement. The same is true of EotM programs. Big chains can incorporate these concepts very easily but if you are operating a small theatre without a team of assistant managers to help with all of the record-keeping then you could easily become overwhelmed...or get distracted by more pressing concerns.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-17-2003 12:28 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am probably in the minority here but I hate upselling. I won't make my people do it. I personally find it very irritating when I order the size I want, and then the cretin behind the counter tells me "for just 25 cents more you can get twice as blah blah blah blah." All it does is waste their time and mine, because I already TOLD them what size I wanted. I don't think I've ever increased my order due to upselling.

I have found that most people will order the size they want. If they want twice as much, they will ORDER twice as much.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2003 12:31 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

Have a talk with all employees, not only the concessionists, explaining to them that anytime they pull a concession shift, they are to always suggest a certain candy (Skittles) or start off by offering the combo (if applicable).

Start a blind check program whereby you have certain customers, whom you have gotten to know thru business, come in and 'spot check' the employees to verify that they are doing as instructed. Reward them if you like, but in my opinion, if you are telling them from the start htat they are expected to suggestive sell/upsell, a steady paycheck IS a reward. You should not need ADDITIONAL incentive(s) to get someone to do what the are already getting paid to do! Positive re-enforcement goes a long way as well.

Practice what you preach. When you're behind the stand, let the employees hear you upsell/suggestive sell. They do, after all, look up to you fo rthe way things are *supposed* to be done.

Funny that I have found, over the years, that the non American employees (read, exchange students) I hire are FAR better at suggestive selling than the home town kids are. Then again, for the most part, the work ethics of the exchange students far exceed those of the home town kids anyway...And we wonder why the U.S is in the shitter when it comes to productivity and the GDP... [Eek!] [Roll Eyes]

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2003 03:15 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i agree with mike. upselling is insulting. it can be acceptable if done in extreme moderation, when it is natural in the situation.

one thing our theater does, and i don't mind participating because it actually is a very good deal for the customer, is to give away passes to the high-rollers at concessions. if a customer is close to the amount, we suggest they spend just a bit extra so they can more than recoup the difference next time they come.

carl

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2003 03:33 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Mike, too. Upselling is one of those irritating, knowingly inconsiderate behaviors that puts a place on my "let's find somplace else we can go" list. Waste somebody else's time, patience, & goodwill! I understand that it's corporate policy that's been set & the concession folks must follow it, I don't have any ill will toward the staff, just disgust with the place of business.

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2003 04:35 AM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best upselling advice I got was somewhere on this site.

When someone asks for a coke, you reply "Large right"

Perhaps only once a week someone says "no medium".

Same applies to all goods sold. Think big.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 10-17-2003 06:45 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Mike. I want what I order and get annoyed with the upsell.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 10-17-2003 06:56 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree wike Mike as well.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-17-2003 08:41 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed with Mike. Customers aren't (usually) stupid; they know what they want and order that. If I want large, I will order large. If I order medium or small, then that is what I want, and I don't really care to be insulted by having the cashier inform me that the next larger size is twice as much for "only" $.50 more.

Of course, this assumes that the sizes and prices are labelled clearly.

I can see situations where this might make sense (a regular customer who always orders the same things might appreciate being informed of new products, for example), but that's a special case.

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2003 10:03 AM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, it can be irksome for someone to suggest a size other than what you order - but I don't let it make me upset, as it's not worth the energy of getting upset. Nor is it worth getting all irate with the person behind the counter.
I say this as someone who's worked with the public in almost every job I've had - bookstore, cinema, shoe store...
A little kindness will go a long way. [Smile]

Michael Swarbrick
Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2003 10:46 AM      Profile for Michael Swarbrick   Email Michael Swarbrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too, am on the side of hating the concept of upselling, even combos piss me off, it seems so desperate. Luckily, my cinema did neither a few years ago when I worked in concessions. I don't consciously remember anyone upselling to me when I've bought stuff elsewhere either, but then I usually go for the largest drink there is (movies are long!)

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2003 01:16 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our approach is to offer an additional item instead of upselling. We suggest items that people might not know we have, like bagal dogs, cookie, tea (if they order a cookie), ice cream. We try to make it natural and conversational. But still, we are an art house and our percap sucks.

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2003 01:51 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, I guess I have to disagree with most everyone here. I feel being alerted to a combo special, or being suggested to get the large soda for just 25 cents more, is GOOD customer service. It makes the customer feel special that someone went 'out of their way' to give them a good deal. The customer sees it as getting a better value and feels good from the personalized service. I personally think it's rude and bad customer service not to upsell. That's like saying 'I don't care about what you are ordering or about you in general Mr. Customer.' I would rather have a personal touch from someone human when doing business, rather than being served by an expression-less robot.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: