Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Return of the King Trailer

Author Topic: Return of the King Trailer
Michael Amundson
Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2003 08:52 PM      Profile for Michael Amundson   Email Michael Amundson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's because the theatre I work for is small... but I haven't seen the RotK trailer show up yet. Has it been released to theatres? And if it has, is there any way for a theatre that didn't get it yet to request it? Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

David L Parlier
Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2003 09:33 PM      Profile for David L Parlier   Author's Homepage   Email David L Parlier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The LOTR: Return on the King trailer has been released to theaters and is available from New Line Cinema (TDS). Just give them a call to request the final trailer and teaser posters.

Also LOTR trailers went out to those playing Secondhand Lions and I believe was enclosed w/ Kill Bill.

Travis Hubrig
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2003 02:27 PM      Profile for Travis Hubrig   Email Travis Hubrig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I received two of the trailers on thurs. Maybe somebody can answer a question. What is the maximum length for a trailer?

I didn't know there was one until I got the trailer and the letter enclosed with it said that it had received the 'once a year waiver' for trailer length from the MPAA. The trailer is 2:57, I am sure I have trailers that are 2:47 or 2:50. If they did get this rare waiver, Why only make the trailer 10 seconds longer? You would think they would make it 30 seconds longer or even maybe a minute. I was convinced that the marketing depts of the studios were the last ones to care how long the preshow is. I really wish I still had the letter now.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-13-2003 05:42 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most trailers are only supposed to be about 2 1/2 minutes in length or less. On occaision some go well beyond that. I seem to recall an attached trailer for "101 Dalmations" (the live action version with Glenn Close) on the front of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame". I think that one lasted around 4 minutes.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2003 06:39 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So how many trailers have been released so far? Just this 3 minute one, or have there been teasers as well?

Jim Leko
Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2003 03:34 AM      Profile for Jim Leko   Email Jim Leko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boss told me that each studio is allowed one trailer per year to be over 2:30. I remember The Two Towers (final) trailer was 3:01.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 10-14-2003 10:02 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In order for a trailer to break the 2:30 sec rule they must have permision from the MPAA.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: