Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Tarantino on Kimmel Live (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Tarantino on Kimmel Live
Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2003 11:36 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WTF is he saying?

"12 year olds buy a ticket for Good Boy! and SNEAK into Kill Bill."

He basically goes on to say that the film is suitable for any 12 year old in America. I knew the man was twisted... but Sweet Lord...

Kimmel asked him "well, how will you get the money?" (if the kids snuck in)

"It's not about the money..."

What a dick... An ingenious one, but still a dick!

[fu]

|  IP: Logged

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2003 01:33 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is more dead bodies (and body parts) in this film than all the films in the last decade combined.

I will be during auditorium checks frequently and kicking out those kids that try to pull that crap.........

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-10-2003 02:37 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason, today we have a new word for you to expand your vocabulary.

Main Entry: sar·casm
Pronunciation: 'sär-"ka-z&m
Function: noun
Etymology: French or Late Latin; French sarcasme, from Late Latin sarcasmos, from Greek sarkasmos, from sarkazein to tear flesh, bite the lips in rage, sneer, from sark-, sarx flesh; probably akin to Avestan thwar&s- to cut
Date: 1550
1 : a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain <tired of continual sarcasms>
2 a : a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual b : the use or language of sarcasm <this is no time to indulge in sarcasm

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 10-10-2003 04:54 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But still... This film we need to be extra careful about. Not just checking tickets and id at the box and podium, but also at the auditorium entrance. This is not your usual r-rated film. This film could seriously corrupt young ones. (But it is a lot of fun for old ones!)

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-10-2003 06:24 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There is more dead bodies (and body parts) in this film than all the films in the last decade combined.
Sounds like someone is overexaggerating. Just how many people would you say there was in the big fight sequence in reel 5? Maybe 50 tops?

Giving this all of maybe 1 minute to think about it:
Rambo movies
Schwarzenegger movies
Any war movie (Saving Private Ryan comes to mind)
Hong Kong action films (such as Hard Boiled)
Titanic (think of all the people who drowned)
Starship Troopers (gory too)
Star Wars (all those poor people on Alderon, and rated PG to boot!)
On the Line - starring Lance Bass (that was actual audience deaths, not on-screen deaths)

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2003 12:30 PM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rationalize it how you will, he's still a dick.

Ron Yost

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-10-2003 03:38 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ron, please explain to me how that is rationalizing? Be sure to look up the word rationalizing first. I made no comment toward anything other than a body count comparison.

By the way, you don't need to put your name at the end of the posts. It's right there to the left on every post you make.

Travis Hubrig
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2003 04:43 PM      Profile for Travis Hubrig   Email Travis Hubrig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why exactly is he a dick???

He makes some of the most original movies ever made...
I think he is genius.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-10-2003 04:57 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Star Wars (all those poor people on Alderon, and rated PG to boot!)

Wasn't it called Alderaan?

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2003 06:05 PM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I meant was he's a dick if he suggested young kids be allowed to see his self-indulgent nonsense, or suggest to them that they sneak in. That's completely irresponsible, IMHO. Adults can do whatever they want.

I'm an older guy, not in to blood and gore under any guise.

There's nothing at all cool, funny, enjoyable, sarcastic or ingenious about violence and gratuitous blood-letting to me. I saw enough of the real thing in Vietnam.

Brad .. how about equate or justify, then. Better words than rationalize, tho it still applies, IMHO. I'm fully aware of the meaning of the words I use, thank you very much.

Ron Yost

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-10-2003 07:22 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll go with equate, but for you to call him a dick just because he has made a movie intended for adult audiences that he feels is ok for 12 year olds is ridiculous. There are LOTS of movies being made that are designed for adult audiences and that is just his one opinion of the age that is suitable. Obviously the MPAA did not agree.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-10-2003 07:31 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Travis. Tarantino is one of my favorite writer/director. The real Ass POS is Jimmy Kimmel.

"From Dusk Till Dawn"
"Four Rooms"
"Pulp Fiction" ('Surf Rider' is a GREAT tune!)
"Reservoir Dogs"

Are some of my favorite films.

Ron: See Mike's explanation of sarcastic humor.

OBTW, I too saw a lot of the real thing in Vietnam, but I certainly don't use that as a rationalization for disliking "violent movies". I mean, after all, they are really cool!

(That last line was sarcastic humor for those that don't get it.)

>>> Phil

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2003 10:49 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was kinda over-doing it there huh?

But there is way more blood than a lot of movies...

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2003 11:13 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

I understand the concept of sarcasm. Might I ask, did you, by chance, see the interview? If not, then don't comment, as you know not the tone nor manner in which the comment was spoken. And, for the record, I'm not being sarcastic.

We had no real problems with kids sneaking in tonight, but we have wknd security and a pretty tight set of cashiers. I wrote the post as he was speaking the words, so maybe I came off a bit brazen, but yet I am still very vocal about any director/producer/distributor making a film obviously targeted for an older audience then stating that kids should sneak in!

AT least with the 3rd installment of Scary Movie they had wisened up and gone with a 13 rating, as opposed to the traditional R. I think the film will make much more money and we'll have fewer refunds due to kids getting someone else to buy the tickets only to be carded again at the door.

I said he was a dick. I stand by the comment. I stated my reason in the first post so feel free to scroll right back up to the top for clarification should the need arise.. Make note that I also said he was a very talented dick, but a dick none the less..

I guess I should stop with the 'D' word, lest Phil get all excited and be overcome (pun intended) with joy.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2003 01:26 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tarantino made the same encouragement to youth in Great Britain. There the film has a rating of 18 and anyone below that age cannot see it, even if there parents go with them. The posters in this thread who are calling Tarantino a dick are doing so because he is undermining the very ratings system that we are trying to enforce. Our job enforcing the rating system is hard wnough without the writer/director of a film encouraging people to ignore the very same rating system.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: