Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Kids or Piracy??

Author Topic: Kids or Piracy??
Andrew Lee
Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2003 03:01 PM      Profile for Andrew Lee   Email Andrew Lee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was at Showeast last week, a few friend and I went to Universal to check out Citywalk. We decided to see Underworld at the multi-plex while we were there. It was interesting to see that everyone who entered the theatre complex with packages or bags were all searched. They were looking for recording devices. I thought this was fine and made note of the fact.

Once in the theatre itself I was somewhat taken back by the fact there was at least 3 children (aged 8-10) in the theatre with parents. [Confused] I wouldn't take my kids to a movie like that if my life depended on it. In fact I was wondering if in Florida, they were actually allowed to view this movie.

I just found it a little wierd comparing the emphasis on camcorders versus having a child in an adult movie presentation. [Roll Eyes]
M

|  IP: Logged

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2003 03:08 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well if they are there with their parents than there isn't much that the theater can do about it. I usually have my Box Office personnel mention something to the parent about movie content not being kid appropriate but that is pretty much the extent of it unless the company has a policy about kids in R rated movies after a certain time.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-07-2003 03:23 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the criteria for admission to a R-rated film:

http://www.filmratings.com/questions.htm#r

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2003 03:35 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember some years ago my dad took me to see Starship Troopers. There were several young children in there at least 6-8 years old.

Jarred Olsen
Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2003 07:22 PM      Profile for Jarred Olsen   Email Jarred Olsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And look at them now... stealing cars, smoking crack, and having permiscuous sex! What awful parents!

Chris Trainor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2003 08:07 PM      Profile for Chris Trainor   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Trainor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My worst experience with kids was an 11pm showing of Saving Private Ryan that some ignorant mother decided to bring her 4 sub-8year olds to. Besides the moral implications of this the damned kids were bored and noisy.. running around whining and crying whenever something loud happened. People like that should NOT be allowed to breed. [Smile]

That experience is what directly lead to my theater having a no kids policy. Noone under 13 was admitted to an R rated movie at night, period. Only once did I waive that policy... a couple was bringing their infant to a show. They were the only people who bought tickets so I figured what the heck. [Smile]

--Chris

Ron Keillor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2003 08:47 PM      Profile for Ron Keillor   Email Ron Keillor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best "turn-away" line I ever used was for Pulp Fiction (or something else) when I was able to tell dads "there's a male rape scene in the film that's quite explicit'" Any argumentive tone in their voices stopped immediately.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2003 09:06 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The theaters in the attractions area (Universal Cinneplex at CityWalk, AMC Pleasure Island at Disney and even the ones on International Drive) make it a STRONG point to check all bags for recording devices.

The reason is, anyone can just waltz right in with a videocamera and claim they have it because they are "on vacation" and "visiting the theme park" and get away with taping a movie. It's also the theme park's policy to check all bags that enter the property. I work seasonally at Universal for Halloween Horror Nights. Security is something they don't take lightly! [Smile]

As for letting kids into an R-movie, if they are with parents, it's ok. As long as the kids aren't taping the movie. [Smile]

=TMP=

Chris Trainor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2003 10:45 AM      Profile for Chris Trainor   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Trainor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Security at the theme parks are a joke. At disney they seem to just check womens handbags and that's it. A friend of mine had (legally) a loaded, concealed handgun on him and his wife was searched head to toe.. he was let right in. Amusing.

Maybe the MPAA should make up posters that are really obvious... like a picture of a kid holding a videocamera up to the screen and next to it the same kid behind bars for doing so. [Smile] That would get the point across.

--Chris

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2003 09:58 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or maybe they could come up with some GOOD anti-piracy trailers based on the anti-drug PSA's:

-A group of teens in the usual dress walk into a theater, one of them with a backpack or oversized purse.
-They get their tickets, walk in (with the doorman or someone looking at them suspiciously) and go into the movie.
-Once the movie starts, one of the kids pulls out the camera and begins setting it up with comments from the others like, "We'll make a ton of money off of this."
-Moments later, they are ambushed by police and dragged out of the auditorium, knocking the still-running videocamera to the floor. The rest of the audience remains unphased, still watching the movie.
-HARMLESS??

[Smile]
=TMP=

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-21-2003 02:39 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yah, our culture seems to accept lots of graphic violence....yet suggest a 12yr old watch a man and woman copulating and they'll have a mob ready to rip your limbs off or worse. Some how lots of people feel that a 12 yr old seeing two people giving each other pleasure is a terrible thing and can cause him grave harm. Yet suggest that a 12yr old watching a bullet rip through the side of a girl's head with brains realistically spilling out the other temple and it will raise very few eyebrows.

I don't know who said it but it sure rings true....show someone licking an erect nipple and every holier-than-though type will be ready to close the theatre down, but show a someone cutting a brest off with a buzzsaw and, gee, what good entertainment.

I'm not commenting which is worse, only that there is a real double standard between what is acceptable graphic sexuality and what is acceptable graphic violence. As a society we accept a lot more of one than the other....and we reap the results.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: