Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Where Are They Now (Drive-In Heater) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Where Are They Now (Drive-In Heater)
Steve Anderson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2003 09:35 AM      Profile for Steve Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found an old Drive-In heater at an antique store the other day and I was wondering the history behind this.

How were they powered? ( 220v ) How were they distributed?

I have noticed more Drive-Ins staying open during the first part of winter and some open all year. Are there any new in car heaters being marketed.

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2003 01:46 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are usually 220 volt. Some were permanently attached to the speaker post and some were handed out at the boxoffice or the snack bar & the patron plugged them into a weatherproof quick-connect on the speaker post. EPRAD and SPECO (formerly known as Drive-in Theater Mfg) both made in car heaters. SPECO still has repair parts for both brands. I don't know if they still make new heaters, but I think they might.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 09-29-2003 02:24 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Expanding on Ken's post:
There were a few drive-ins in Washington that provided heaters. Most of them were located in the eastern half of the state. There is one left on our side that has the wiring to show they once provided them, but I don't think they still do. Liability, maintenance and power costs have killed the idea. Like window speakers and "Raingards", car heaters have become more valued as souvenirs than for their intended purpose.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2003 04:34 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The manuals for the heaters are here on film-tech.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 09-29-2003 05:06 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are some photos of the heater setup at the Y&W Drive-In in Merrillville, Indiana. There is a "heater room" attached to the snack bar, so I assume that the heaters were distributed from either there or the snack bar to customers who wanted them. Each speaker pole had a plug dangling from it to plug the heater into. You can see from the heater plug that it is 220v. There is an on/off switch on the back of the heater, but no identification of the theater it belongs to or manufacturer.

-

-

-

Steve Anderson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2003 06:06 PM      Profile for Steve Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool pictures Adam!
I was really young but I can remember my Dad getting the heater when you arrived at the ticket booth but I think when you exit the lot you went by the other side of the booth and returned the heater. I can't remember because I was asleep at the time....

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2003 08:17 PM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A drive-in I serviced up until this summer still had the 220v lines in the field (the plugs were long gone from the poles though) and the breakers in the booth were just "locked" off. Up until about 10 years ago this drivein stayed open year-round (and in Central Michigan!) They also are still using the speakers-on-poles for both fields (1200 speakers in total [not a typo - 1200!]) in addition to FM sound that was installed this year to replace the ailing AM system.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-29-2003 09:21 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone else bothered by the idea of having 220-volt lines hanging off of the speaker poles, just waiting for some child to zap himself?

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2003 12:11 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The heater that was pictured is an Eprad "Hot Shot".

Robert Golding
Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2003 02:49 AM      Profile for Robert Golding   Email Robert Golding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had a Drive In, in Yuba City, Cal that had kerosene portable heaters until 1973. They outlawed them that yr. Believe it or not, never had a fire caused by one. I still have one in my display case.

Erick Akers
Arse Kicker

- posted 09-30-2003 05:29 AM      Profile for Erick Akers   Email Erick Akers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another interesting fact is that junction boxes on the speaker poles with red difuser lights indicated what poles had a heater plug.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 09-30-2003 12:48 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, 220V isn't substantially worse the 120V. It's the current that gets you, and its less at 220V anyhow.

--jhawk

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-01-2003 04:48 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Scott, 220V isn't substantially worse the 120V. It's the current that gets you, and its less at 220V anyhow.

Yes, it's the current that kills, but a higher voltage is more dangerous because it can overcome the skin's natural resistance more easily. And in the case of 220 volt service, both leads are "hot" relative to ground.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 10-10-2003 01:42 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bzzapt!

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-11-2003 01:58 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
220V will push double the current through a given resistance. But if as John suggests they are using two hot legs as in the typical 110/220 (120/240) Volt setup then the most likely shock scenario (contact with a single conductor) they would be getting only a 110-120 V shock. Someone might bridge both prongs of a partially inserted plug but the higher voltage shock would only be across the finger unless someone was handling the plug with both hands.

Obviously if someone was putting this in nowadays they would simply use 120V and ground fault interruptors. Or maybe an isolation transformer whose secondary side has no grounded leg.

And then there is the matter of the air conditioned drive in!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: