Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » How much does theaters get paid for running adds? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How much does theaters get paid for running adds?
Kyle Watkins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2003 02:36 AM      Profile for Kyle Watkins   Email Kyle Watkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering about this for some time. I don’t own a theater and more and likely never will. I heard it is big, but how much is big. I don’t know about all the finance a theater has to deal with. know some, but not all. If it that big as people say ( no one ever give figures not even “rough” figures). I no most if not about ALL of us rather not see it, but would most theaters still be alive it they stop running paid adds. And if is all that what they say it is why don’t they fix there problems in the theater with that money. But fixing problem is another topic.

Thanks Kyle

|  IP: Logged

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 09-22-2003 07:26 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We charge $250. per month for each screen ad. We can design it, do assorted artwork, etc. extra. We could not survive without this revenue. There are 20 to 25 ads and each goes up a minimum of twice before every scheduled show. We start the slide presentation so that it is complete at the advertized show time.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2003 08:34 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kyle,

National ad accounts can add hundreds of thousands, if not a million or more, dollars to the bottom line. Theatres LOVE this. It's almost 100% PURE PROFIT.

Erick Akers
Arse Kicker

- posted 09-22-2003 09:53 AM      Profile for Erick Akers   Email Erick Akers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How would one go about clenching a deal on a national ad contract,or even aproaching such a deal?
They don't always approach you.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-22-2003 11:17 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kodak is offering complete services and equipment for on-screen ads using the Digital Cinema Operating System, scalable to eventual use for feature presentation:

http://www.kodak.com/go/dcinema

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 09-22-2003 12:04 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So how much is this going to cost per screen John?

I know how much money the theaters take in IF and only IF they pay for the equipment themselves, and how much they get IF they do not pay for the equipement themselves.

There are also variables if content is scheduled by third party contributors, or if content is handled in house.

Whenever you have other hands dipping in your pocket, you lose money. Very often, NCN will rape indie or small theaters blind by promising them big returns and then they put in the equipment, run horrible slide shows or ads, and never really do much to sell content. The theater can be stuck with this 800 pound gorilla and only get a few hundred bucks a month, hardly worth the frustration.

Dave

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-22-2003 12:46 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You need to talk to the Kodak Digital Cinema team. They will be at ShowEast. [Smile]

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 09-22-2003 01:38 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about "rolling stock" ads? How much do they get for those? When I do my monthly paid advertising check for Regal, the ONLY thing they're interested in is rolling stock, and they're very picky about how you report it. If the theatre has "The 2wenty", they're REALLY picky, and they want a report on the plasma screens in the lobby too, including whether all of them are working.

Lance C. McFetridge
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2003 05:55 PM      Profile for Lance C. McFetridge   Email Lance C. McFetridge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While we rely on the additional income, the pre-show slides do cost some money. Given that the bulbs go for about 12 dollars and they last a week or so, and there is time spent marketing, drawing and having the slide imaged. The key is to have in excess of 20 to 25 all the time. It takes some work but is worth it.
lance

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 09-22-2003 06:43 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill, is that $250 per slide for the ad to be shown on all your screens? How many screens & how many seats? (to give an idea of how big a customer flow is needed to generate that money, with bigger theatres presumably getting more and smaller ones less) Is there some rule of thumb about how much a theatre can expect to make based on its size?

Kyle Watkins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2003 06:50 PM      Profile for Kyle Watkins   Email Kyle Watkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about screen vison adds, coke adds, and moviefone. Not sure waht eles is out there but that what we run.

With screen vison adds, who picks what adds play. On the list that coem swith it I see a whole crap load of titles.

Kyle

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2003 07:12 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lance,

If your slide projectors are blowing thru bulbs that fast, you really should have them cleaned and tested. Mine run (on average) 7-8 weeks before the filaments go out.

Lance C. McFetridge
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2003 07:29 PM      Profile for Lance C. McFetridge   Email Lance C. McFetridge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason that is interesting. What bulbs do you use and what are the projectors? What is the throw?
thanks
lance

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2003 07:44 PM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know the exact amount that we receive for on screen ads, but Pearl and Dean are prepaired to send us ads for a single screening each week [although we have to splice the ads together ourselves (they just send us the changes for each week)

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 09-24-2003 11:49 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, The screen count is one, 1392 seats, Monday thru. Thurs. the 7:15 averages 275, the 9:30 typically at few less. Friday around 350 each. Sat. & Sun. afternoon around 150. Sat. evening 500 to 600 with an occasional 800 to 1000. All our ads are local. We don't solicit national advertisers, The few we've done paid very slowly and required too much paper work, besides, we don't put the ad up at all without the first month paid in advance. Advertising can be very difficult to collect for after the fact and it can not be taken back or repossessed. At present there are 6 advertisers that have with us continuously for more than 5 years, they say it works for them.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: