Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Throwing a teen out of the theater. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Throwing a teen out of the theater.
Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2003 12:19 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that this subject has been touch upon before, but I got a good laugh from this letter that was posted on http://www.planetfeedback.com , so I thought that I would share.

Discrimination Against Teenagers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Going to the movies is supposed to be fun or inspirational, not a pain. But my daughter recently attended a movie at 13933 N. Central Expressway, Dallas, Texas 75243 and I just had to complain about the management and the treatment of teenagers at this location. This entire incident has me really furious!

Here's what happened. On Friday, July 25, 2003 at approximately 9:20 pm my daughter called home to ask me to pick up her and her friends from the Loews Cineplex Keystone because they were being kicked out for "talking during the movie." They had gone to see Pirates of the Caribbean which was to start at 8:55 pm. I missed my daughter's phone call but immediately called her back to see what the problem was. While I was on the phone with my daughter I heard a woman in the background yelling "you tell her to come up here and I'll tell her about your attitude!"

When my husband and I arrived at the movie theater, we spoke to Michelle T. who was identified as the one yelling while I was on the phone with my daughter. She proceeded to tell us that my daughter and her friends were talking and had been warned once to stop and they did not stop so they were kicked out. However, my daughter and all of her friends said that no such warning was made. She said that our daughter "had an attitude and was not welcome back to the theater." During our conversation with Ms. T. should was rude and often was speaking loudly if not yelling. She showed a total lack of respect to myself and my husband. She was also yelling at our daughter while we were there.

While there we asked why it seems to be a "policy" of Loews to kick teenagers out of their theater. Ms. T. simply stated that they kick out disruptive teenagers. We are aware of numerous occasions where teenagers have been kicked out for "talking" during the previews, hanging out in the lobby (where there are video games) and other "offenses". However in contrast, this theater seems to have no problem with teenagers loitering out front cussing, smoking, etc. On this night alone we witnessed a group of 10 teenagers that were smoking under age, in possession of a "stolen" wheelchair from Wal-Mart which is across the parking lot, cussing and causing a "general nuisance" for the patrons coming in and flow of traffic in the parking lot. Yet nothing was said to them. The management regularly ignores this behaviour from the teenagers outside that have not purchased a movie ticket yet harasses the teenagers inside who have made a purchase. (My daughter has even been questioned as to what she was doing while on her way to the concession stand during a movie.)

Ms. T. showed a total lack of respect and professionalism during our entire conversation with her. I told her at one point that I was going to contact an attorney and possibly the media regarding this on-going problem with this theater and in response she threatened to "call the police on not only my daughter but my husband and I as well." She also told us that my husband and I are also not allowed to come to that theater ever again.

Frankly, I'm not surprised, because I've never ever had a good experience with this theater in the past. But this problem has me so upset that I'll never again see another movie at your theater. Will I recommend it to the people I know? Not for all the popcorn in your snack shop.

Here's what I'd like to see happen: First of all I would like a written apology from Ms. T. and for her to at minimum be reprimanded for her actions. I would also like a refund for the my daughter's ticket for which Ms. T. refused to give. The issue of the discrimination against teenagers also must be addressed.

I really hope you can resolve this problem soon so that going to the movies can be enjoyable again, the way it should be. I hope to hear from you soon.

Sheila G.
Richardson, TX

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 09-20-2003 12:44 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Notice that Sheila G. never addresses the issue of whether her daughter and her friends were being disruptive inside the theatre. Instead she uses a juvenile tactic to try to deflect attention from the real issue. "Well all these other kids were standing around smoking and cussing [apparently OUTSIDE the theatre]. Why pick on my poor daughter??" Sheila G. should worry less about what other teens are doing, and more about what her own daughter is doing.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-20-2003 01:20 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let me translate: The girl is a lying little twitchet. She got it from her mother.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 09-20-2003 01:46 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's funny that she made the comment about never seeing a movie at that theater again. Well bitch, if the manager said you and your husband can't come back then I guess you won't be seeing any movies there again. [Big Grin]

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2003 04:31 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's face it guys, in reality, those of us who work for major chains know that, in the end, when the complaint is recieved at the corporate level, blame will, most liekly, shift to the Manager, not the complaintant or her little troublemaking offspring.

I have been subjected to this type of situation before and, just as I stated above, what happened? Passes were issued. PLEASE !! Some of the theatre chains are so leary that they might loose one customer that passes are issued for any little disruption...

I have recently begun banning disruptive kids from my building from 30 days to the time the offender brings his/her parent to discuss the matter with me personally. To date, none have been back with parent(s). WOrd has begun to travel around teh inner circles that maybe, just maybe, you should not act up at the theatre becuase the officer on duty (wknds) will call your parents to come pick you up.

I also find it funny that a parent will tell me how perfect Little Johnny is and that I am completely in the wrong, my superviosr will be notified, yada yada yada... but when confronted by the officer, they take a completly different approach. Well, most do. There will always be those parents who, by inherent "weakness'" should never been allowed to reproduce. [uhoh]

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2003 06:01 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although no one knows what REALLY happened without being there, it pisses me off that someone can make an accusation about almost anything and get anyone in trouble.

I've seen it happen. Someone comes out and complains of "people making noise" and gives the general vicinity of where they're sitting and the manager rushes in to kick them out instead of standing in the auditorium and assessing the situation. Of course, they confront the kids who are sitting there first.

Now of course an arrogant adult in some position of power (no matter how meager that may be) won't believe a group of kids who say they're not doing anything wrong, but will they check the theater periodically to make sure? NO! When the kids try to explain themselves, they'll kick them out for being "disrespectful" and not even give them a refund. I've been in that situation before, as a teenager attending a movie. Just because there's a group of troublemakers the same age as you in the row in front of you, you're automatically with them. I'll never forget the utter confusion I felt when I heard, "Let's go. You guys too. If not, I'm calling the cops." Thanks for a nice evening out! [Mad]

And not trying to be sexist here, but female managers are the worst when it comes to kicking people out. Maybe it's the "mommie" instinct or something, but it seems that even after the kids are on their way out, or even already out the door, they still have to run after them with another string of scolding comments and idle threats: "...and don't come back!!" Which is why I believe this Michelle T. was being a bitch.

I've been on the other side of the coin, too. An older customer kept complaining about teenagers being rowdy in a movie. (It was a comedy -- forget which one) So, I went in there with them and told them to point out the kids. He did, right as they were "making noise" and said, "See? See? Hear them?" -- Turns out, they were just laughing out loud at the funny scenes. Some people are just morons.

I'm going to try and get random people kicked out of a movie next time I go and see exactly what steps are taken. Perhaps I'll give some poor underpaid sap who's stuck in a dead-end, middle-management position some excitement and allow them to play Cop for the evening. Maybe they'll even give me passes for my "inconvenience" [Razz]

=TMP=

Kevin Baglow
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2003 08:26 PM      Profile for Kevin Baglow   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Baglow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We havent had any trouble with teenagers since we put infer red cameras with 40 visable red infa red LED's around the lense on them
The digital recording & 16 screen monitor can be seen in the ticket office.

Jim Alexander
Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2003 09:03 PM      Profile for Jim Alexander   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Alexander   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"God forbid that my {insert you son or daughter's name} would be involved in any such thing. My {insert name again} has never done anything like this ever! It must have been {insert name of know offending friend who you son/daughter hangs out with} that was doing it."

I can't count the number of times I've heard this. I've found that roughly 8 out of 10 parents can't get a grasp of that fact that their child could have been in the wrong. Thankfully 2 out of 10 are willing to listen to the manager and admit that maybe, just maybe, their child was causing a disruption. Normally, however, the other 8 have done so much cussing, yelling and sarcastic comments, that by the time their parents are called, the manager is ready to carry out Euthanasia. When the parents show up, they come with a fight in mind and carry on where their kids left off... cussing, yelling etc. Is it a wonder that the parents get band as well.

Ms G, Managers aren't in the habit of offending customers, even teens. They are in the habit of ensuring all customers enjoy their venue.

No teens aren't bad... they can be rambunctious and a little disrespectful. When caught they will try to claim that it was not them...even when I witnessed the infraction myself. Our punishments range from a month to indefinite... depending on the infraction. When allowed to run it's course, the offending teen will return with much more respect and be a better customer. What Ms G fails to see is she is encouraging her daughter to disrespect authority and ignore rules... because mommy will intervene for me.

Sorry, but banning your daughter was probably warrented and your actions only encouraged your own banning.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2003 08:05 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's completely unfair to everyone involved to make generalizations about these incidents.

Maybe the kid is a spoiled brat and maybe she isn't. Maybe the manager was nasty and unprofessional and maybe she wasn't. Maybe the mother is in complete denial about her kid's behavior or maybe she's properly defending her kid.

It seems to me that many who posted are really doing exactly the same thing the mother did. She's defending her daughter because she feels loyal to her daughter. Those who posted are defending the manager, because you feel loyal to theater employees.

The fact is that no one here knows what really happened and therefore no conclusions can be made about who was right and wrong.

Jim Alexander
Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2003 09:10 PM      Profile for Jim Alexander   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Alexander   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wholy agree with MArtin with one exception... It was not the rest of us that start this thread. By opening up this discussion, Ms G has invited each of our experiences, and I for one have seen this type of senerio a number of times. In the spirit of fairness, there could be much more to this story, but experience has told me that, considering Ms G's inflamitory remarks, I would guess that the manager probably had cause.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-23-2003 12:25 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had this incident happened in a more laid back locale (such as my town) I might have leaned a little more toward the side of "Sheila G," particularly if the incident had happened at a theater I knew had obnoxious management.

However, she is referring to a theater in Dallas, a very large and often dangerous city. In that environment theater management should not have to tolerate much of any bullcrap from anyone. Management has to be street smart and customers should be as well.

Having endured more than my fair share of disruptions from teenagers, I have to say a lot of the "discrimination against teenagers" in theaters is very well-deserved. I wish the loud mouthed manager in Dallas worked at the AMC 24-plex in OKC where I tried to watch "The Ring." A group of screaming teen girls yelled throughout that movie just to bring attention to themselves. I was pissed management did not remove those kids. It also pissed me off that "The Ring" was edited down to PG-13 status just so that pain-in-the-ass crowd element could legally enter the theater. There are times were an R-rating or even NC-17 tag does great service to filter out undesirables.

Don Bruechert
Mmmmmmmmm, bird!

- posted 09-23-2003 07:00 PM      Profile for Don Bruechert   Author's Homepage   Email Don Bruechert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a customer, before becoming a manager (so I can watch my movies at midnight in my own private auditorium) I tended to go to the latest show on Sunday evening that I was interested in, or maybe a Monday or Tuesday. I avoided weekends like the plague so I wouldn't have to be distracted by the annoying kids making noise and throwing skittles around, etc... They were rarely out that late on a "school night".

I have had noise complaints before, and always go into the theater and listen for a while. Then it is usually a "Don't make me have to come back in here again" kind of threat. As big as I am, once is usually enough.

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2003 10:54 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is even sadder here, is the fact here are just as many obnoxious adults out there screwing up movies for the viewing audiences as well. As I mentioned in an earlier thread, we had a lady come into our theatre and proceed too yap with her friends during the movie. Finally someone near her got mad enough to come notify the management. They went in and witnessed the offense themselves then asked her to keep it quiet while the movie was running. This BIOTCH! proceeded to start telling us "I paid my $5.75 and I will do what ever I fucking please in this theatre" At this point she was asked to leave, at this point it became a racial issue as the person involved was Black and the manager tossing her out is White. Never mind that she was being a disruptive shit in the first place by god she paid her 5.75 and is a minority as well so this apparently intitled her to fuck up everyone else's movie going expierience like they had not paid for thier tickets. Rant Over

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2003 11:29 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, she said it was racial thing? How original. Of course it is not possible that she was doign anything wrong.

Apparently the minorities should be allowed to do whatever they want. You owe her because her great great great grandfather may or may not have been a slave. I'm in favor of Jim's euthanasia idea.

Seriously, Most teenagers dont act up during movies. It's primarily 12-15 year olds that have that cocky teeny bopper attitude.

Kids need to be put in their place, parents that are in denial about their kids behavior are the main problem.

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2003 11:59 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
parents that are in denial about their kids behavior are the main problem.
You are correct with that statement. Most kids today are lacking from discipline from the parents. Of course the goverment getting all up in your busines about smacking you little shit for misbehaving has ultimately contributted to this.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: