Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Whats the best the Theatrical grosses will ever touch ?

Author Topic: Whats the best the Theatrical grosses will ever touch ?
Kamakshipalya Dhananjay
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2003 01:27 AM      Profile for Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Email Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So we have every year these days slightly registering a better take than the previous. I wonder what is the highest take the Box office receipts for North America (US and CANADA) will ever achieve in the next five years.

I anticipate that such grosses wont ever exceed 10 billion USD for any year over the next 5 years.

Your take...

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 09-18-2003 09:31 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so long as ticket prices go up and each year maintains a certain level of quality entertainment. THe grosses will go up.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 09-18-2003 06:28 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I expect that in 2005 we will hit 14 billion in grosses.

Dave

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-18-2003 06:57 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's another part of the equation: as ticket price inflation pushes gross numbers higher and higher many people will care less about it. Ten years ago it was impressive for a movie to gross $200 million in North America. Now few care.

I guess I might start caring again if the movie news people counted how many tickets were sold. For the North American market alone, you could call the movie a hit with 25 million tickets. It might qualify as a movie event with 50 million tickets. Sell 100 million tickets and you can call it a qualified blockbuster. I'm not sure whether to double, triple or quadruple those numbers for world-wide bragging rights.

Kamakshipalya Dhananjay
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2003 12:32 AM      Profile for Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Email Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dodona Research of the UK has done an excellent study of more than 59 film markets and I am told their data for the North America in respect of 2005 indicates a decline in theatrical revenue for that year in relation to previous years'.

Dodona Research

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: