Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Bootleggers.....what can you do? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Bootleggers.....what can you do?
Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2003 05:25 PM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you catch someone in your auditorium video-taping the screen, what are you options for handling the situation? Can you take the camera from them? Can the police do anything? Has this happened to anyone here??

|  IP: Logged

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 09-09-2003 05:34 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You would first call the police on this matter. And tell them the problem, That there is a person taping the movie in your theatre. Cause you need someone to back you up on this matter. Because in the the theatre the person would just laugh at you. And say who the fxxk are you.

I do a lot of pre-release screenings for the studios we have ex-police that can handle this problem. All I have to say is can you take a look at this person.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2003 06:14 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check the MPAA's website on this one. www.mpaa.org.

The reality of it is- is that no one really cares. I have a serious problem with people bringing video cameras into my theatre (tourists). We simply lock the cameras up until their movie is over. I have caught only one person attempting to video tape a movie (and that was a long time ago), and I simply confiscated their tape and sent it to the FBI. I also got their ID info and everything. All that the police can do - is the same thing. They usually never arrest the person. It is the same when someone passes a counterfeit bill, the police just take the evidence and record all the info.......

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-09-2003 06:53 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Videotape the videotapers [Big Grin] . Or sneak in and grab a flash photo of them in the act. Then show the evidence to the police or FBI. Videotaping the bootleggers would be tough without something like a hidden infrared camera or at least something hidden away on a tripod. Lighting levels in the theater are too low during a film to get a good shot of the bad guys. You certainly wouldn't want to walk into an audiotorium with a camcorder light disrupting the show for everyone else.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-09-2003 06:56 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Have your projectionist on standby at the projector. Walk into the auditorium and get near the evildoer from behind, then signal for the projector to be stopped, sound muted and lights up to full (cleaning lights too if you have flourescents). Then walk up to the bootlegger and as obviously as you can tell him to hand over the videocamera that he is breaking the law and that it will be returned to him after the show. (Of course before you give it back to him insist on obtaining ALL of his identification.) Basically, embarass the guy publicly and make an example of him. It may not stop him from videotaping movies in the future, but it will surely stop him from returning to your location. With the CAP code and other anti-piracy techniques in use today, it's not worth dealing with the MPAA if your print turns up in a bootleg. At that point I would imagine you would have to somehow prove that you or your staff did not make the copy. You know, guilty until proven innocent.

Another good thing to do if he is using an ALD and no one else checked out a pair of headsets is to turn off the power to the ALD broadcaster. Let the moron capture some picture without sound.

Ron Keillor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2003 08:36 PM      Profile for Ron Keillor   Email Ron Keillor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When speaking to the offender, have a second person handy with a flashlight with the light aimed at the camera lens, thereby destroying the integrity of the tape (also to be a witness if necessary)

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-09-2003 08:37 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Brad to make a public show of confiscating the camera and getting ID. But have the police on the way too, or better yet, there to make the arrest. Don't forget to have signs posted prominently warning that cameras are not allowed:

http://www.infocusmag.com/02December/builtby.htm

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 09-09-2003 09:49 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone here been approached about a print in their control being bootlegged? Or even heard of any such action? We see the print ID codes on screen, are they ever actually used in tracking down copying?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-09-2003 11:02 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When speaking to the offender, have a second person handy with a flashlight with the light aimed at the camera lens, thereby destroying the integrity of the tape (also to be a witness if necessary)
I like this idea, but would clarify it a bit. When the second person uses a flashlight, make sure it is a big, industrial grade Mag-lite type unit --y'know, like those heavy metal things you see mechanics or electricians carry. Such a flashlight will be handy if the bootlegger wants to get physical. Even the biggest of guys will be subdued if they receive a few pop-knots on the head from a Mag-lite. If a scuffle breaks out, make sure your break his camera in the process of cracking his head. If he complains to the cops about you breaking his camera, just say "he dropped it, officer." I mean, who's the cop gonna believe? A film pirate or a person working an honest job? [Razz]

Jim Leko
Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2003 02:33 AM      Profile for Jim Leko   Email Jim Leko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget to blow over his camera mic for the whole show. Then he doesn't even get the soundtrack [beer]

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2003 07:52 AM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I was working at an IMAX cinema we had this problem quiet a few times, people we always trying to record 3D movies, I used to go in with another person with the torch idea and shine it in the lens and tell them to stop and then after the show point out their stupidity and explain how the 3D system worked and how they were wasting their time, so other customers could hear of course! In Australia if you tryed to call the police on such a matter they would probably say you are wasting their time, although there is a hotline to call, but I can't remeber what it called. At the first showings of film in Australia all customer have to go through metal detector and phones with camera as well as video camera are taken away, yes even camera mobiles!!!

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2003 07:12 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I'm completely opposed to bootlegging of films, I think I would have a problem if a theater stopped a show to stop a bootlegger. I would probably ask for my money back.

I think a better plan is to call the police and stop the guy on his way out of the screen. And just like many retail establishments have signs that state that shoplifters will be prosecuted, post signs that state that anyone caught taping a movie will also be prosecuted. And maybe giant magnets could be mounted by the theater entrances, similar to security tag devices. <g>

Frankly, I can understand the industry going after people who "borrow" a film print to make a high quality video copy for bootlegging purposes, but no one really wants to purchase a copy of a film shot with a video camera. Those that do buy those do so not realizing what a poor copy they've purchased. I doubt it stops anyone from paying to see the film once they see what they've gotten.

And we've all seen the Seinfeld episode about this, right?

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2003 12:32 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in agreement with Martin. As you run more shows, you can get blase' about the audience's experience. Giving out passes always seems to be a cure for everything to the folks who work at the theater, & they think it should be no big deal if somebody gets to come back & watch a movie again.

But each member of the audience has selected that particular movie, & has an emotional investment in its uninterrupted presentation. You only get to watch a movie the first time just once, & when you've screwed that up, you've got discontent, animosity, & a ruined movie.

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2003 07:37 AM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] That is one of the best Seinfeild episods! I love the great camera job Kramer does moving the camera around while he looks at his food and the guy next to him! [Big Grin]

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2003 12:46 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You only get to watch a movie the first time just once, & when you've screwed that up, you've got discontent, animosity, & a ruined movie.
Exactly. Why the hell should you stop the projector and bring the lights up just to "embarrass" the bootlegger? Oh haha, look everybody, this guy was quietly taping the movie until we STOPPED THE PRESENTATION to point him out for your amusement!! Now try to ease your way back into the story and figure out what was going on while we clear up this mess.

I mean if you're going to bitch about CAP codes being a form of anti-piracy which interferes with the presentation, how could you suggest disrupting the show for the entire audience just to stop one crappy tape from hitting the streets? [Roll Eyes]

Honestly... this is like the "Red Scare" of the theater industry.
If you're afraid of the MPAA, get a restraining order against Jack Valenti.
=TMP=

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: