Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Kernel Season's Popcorn Flavoring (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Kernel Season's Popcorn Flavoring
Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2003 03:25 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody out there use this stuff? If so, which flavors tend to be the most popular in your area? Currently the concession staff is charged with sampling some nine flavors among the customers. We have apple cinnemon, barbecue, cajun, chocolate marshmellow, nacho cheddar, parmesan & garlic, ranch, sour cream & onion, and white cheddar. Personally, I like the ranch and apple cinnemon the most; while chocolate marshmellow just plain sucks. IMHO, the website is below-average with dead links. Check it out: www.nomorenakedpopcorn.com As of last night most of the customers sample liked the nacho cheddar.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Pennell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2003 05:17 PM      Profile for Mike Pennell   Email Mike Pennell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the flavors that do well at our theatre are: ranch, parmesan and garlic, white cheddar,cajun, barbecue and sour cream and onion. the marshmallow even does ok. [beer]

John Carpenter
Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2003 06:52 PM      Profile for John Carpenter   Email John Carpenter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have them here too - and after sampling them about a year ago - we settled with the most popular 4 or so:
1. White Cheddar (by far the most selected)
2. Southwest Cheddar (Salsa)
3. Parmasean & Garlic
4. Chocolate Marshmallow (this isnt all that bad if the popcorn isnt too salty and there is lots of butter)

We havent noticed any increase in popcorn sales though - even after more than a year.

Mike Pennell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2003 04:06 AM      Profile for Mike Pennell   Email Mike Pennell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We also havent noticed an increase in sales either. Its more of an added perk for the guest, something the other theatres dont offer.

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2003 04:15 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IS this stuff set out like salt to sprinkle on after it is made or do the concessionist pop the corn with it in the kettle? Just curious. Some of it looks pretty damn tasty...

Mike Pennell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2003 04:20 AM      Profile for Mike Pennell   Email Mike Pennell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its set out in its own display for the customer to apply to their tastes, which brings up another problem with the stuff. Ive seen people pour out half the jar on the popcorn, so much youd like to ask if theyd like some popcorn with their flavored dust.

John Carpenter
Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2003 10:53 AM      Profile for John Carpenter   Email John Carpenter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And on the counter where the customers put this stuff on... what a mess it can be. When we are busy you almost have to have someone staff the thing - you clean it up and come back even 5 minutes later and you find colored powder everwhere!! [Mad]

Richard C. Wolfe
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2003 11:50 AM      Profile for Richard C. Wolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Richard C. Wolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We also use this seasoning. The company said that it can be put out as an extra free item or that the theatre can charge extra for it. They have advertising material for either way. We have it setting out for free, but as others have said, while it is popular with the patrons, it is taken advantage of and does create quite a mess. It is also expensive for something that you give away free. I, like the others have seen no increase in pop corn sales over the past year while we have had the seasoning available.

Being a single screen, it is going to take some time to exhaust the current supply as I bought it by the case rather then by the container. When it does get close to running out, I'm going to have to give it some serious thought as to whether or not I will continue with it.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 09-07-2003 01:18 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty much of the same mind on this one. We have two of their displays... 5 or 6 flavors. After some time, making cheddar available at the counter (just one shaker jar), we thought this might be a nice touch for the customers. Instead, it's turned out to be a sore spot between the staff and me. It seems that just about every time I walk into the lobby, somebody's just dumped half a jar of colored powder on the carpet. I know the staff tries to keep up with it, there's a vacuum nearby, but Murphy's law kicks in bigtime here.

I haven't noticed any increase in sales or any particular enhancement in customer satisfaction. Right now, I'd have to say that we're looking at going back to the cheddar shaker.

Cost and "hassle factor" notwithstanding, the stuff's pretty good. I've grown rather fond of the ranch flavor!

Dino Panagiotopoulos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2003 02:09 PM      Profile for Dino Panagiotopoulos   Email Dino Panagiotopoulos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Canada, we've had had popcorn seasonings around for at least a good 7 or 8 years now. I was pretty surprised when I visited a few U.S theaters and found that they have never heard of shake on seasoning for popcorn. The company I work for now sells our packaged seasonings which customers can purchase at the bar. My popcorn is always naked without Sour Cream and Onion seasoning.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2003 04:24 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with John,

Popcorn shakers is the biggest pain in the ass in the lobby. You will have to assign someone the duty of cleaning that thing ALL NIGHT long. Any busy night it will be a disaster.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-07-2003 08:26 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion, we have a packaging issue here. Although I am not a fan of portion control packaging (like ketchup and sugar packets) I think this is called for.

Paper/foil packets are what's needed here. They can be put out on the counter in racks or holders. The customers take or buy a packet and shake it on at their leisure. This way, not only do you take care of a big mess, you also remove some of the congestion at the counter while people fuss around... putting away their money, stacking their drink cups, getting napkins and salting/seasoning their popcorn.

Even if people leave partially consumed packets lying on the floor of the theater, I think it will still be much less messy than letting them dump it on the floor!

John Scott
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2003 10:42 PM      Profile for John Scott   Email John Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've tested these seasonings at a theatre I worked for in the past, and while they did go over well, in 2 days some flavors were empty or stolen. Furthermore they were a huge mess with powder everywhere. Even though I admit it tastes great, for the cost involved this doesn't seem to be a good product with respect to creating additional sales.

As for portion packets, we've tried those as well, at a cost of a quarter a packet (packet was large enough to coat a large popcorn). People wouldn't pay for it and it was months before we could get rid of our test supply.

It seems to me, if you are going to go with these seasonings, go in with the perspective of this solely being a "guest service" as opposed to a driver of sales, and decide if the cost of the product is worth it. But be warned, once you start it will be tough to eliminate without upseting some guests. (Years down the road I hear people still ask for the seasonings at that theatre.)

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2003 08:59 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The infamous " White Cheddar " flavor seems to be the most popular and you will be re-filling the container every hour on a busy tuesday night.

Coming from someone that had to clean up the filthy mess every tuesday night ( when I wasn't in booth ), it was the #1 frustration on floor. Washrooms were #2.

We also had problems with the shakers being stolen, most of the time it was recovered in one of the auditoriums.

Save your employees the frustration and skip the idea.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2003 12:03 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our theatre put these floavorings out for about 6 months. After running out of all flavors, I opted not to buy any more. I've not heard one upset customer talking about why I dont' carry it anymore. I use this as justification when asked by my staff why I don't carry it any more.

It's a little on the costly side, but when you look at the fact that they provide you with FREE advertising materials, and FREE displays, you know hwy the cost of the actaul product is a little expensive (for a free giveaway). You're also absorbing the cost of the FREE materials you receive. At least I think this way about it.

That said, the most popular flavor around here were;
1) White Cheddar (my second fav)
2) Ranch (plain out nasty)
3) Apple Cinammon (my personal fav.)
4) Chocolate Marshmallow (tasted like Cocoa Puffs)

I banned my booth guys from eating the Ranch becuase it got to th epoint I had to talk with them over the radio rather than face to face. [Eek!]

All in all, this stuff is a good idea, if you charged .10 extra for it. At least you would help recoup *some* of the cost. Granted, I'd wager that as much hit the counter(s)/floor(s) as did the popcorn itself..

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: