Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Theatre Wall covering or or sound panels

Author Topic: Theatre Wall covering or or sound panels
Marc Jones
Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2003 11:02 AM      Profile for Marc Jones   Email Marc Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was in a theatre where the walls were finished sheet rock & painted, and they had about 4 acoustic tile things mounted to the wall. I'm just curious if this is current practice in other places. I know in the picture of the Broadway cinema it looked to be the same as what I tried to describe.

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-04-2003 01:41 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How big were the acoustic tile things? How were they mounted? And the million dollar question, How did it sound in there?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-04-2003 02:03 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have in the past heard good comments about them. However, as Mike asked: How big are they and how are they mounted.

My question is how many are there, and what is the auditorum size?

Going back to Mike's comment - how did it sound?

Travis Hubrig
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2003 02:52 PM      Profile for Travis Hubrig   Email Travis Hubrig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How much of the finished sheet rock was exposed?

Where were they mounted?

Does anyone know what they are called or a manufacturer?

Greg Pauley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2003 03:08 PM      Profile for Greg Pauley   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Pauley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that SRT has panels with speakers installed. This could be what you saw. I know a guy in a different city that is trying the panels over sheet rock on a new build, but haven't had the chance to check the sound quality.

Marc Jones
Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2003 04:44 PM      Profile for Marc Jones   Email Marc Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The panels were approx 3 ft wide and 8 ft height , they did have the surround speakers mounted in them. I didn't stick around so I did not get a chance to see any of the movies there. As far as the size of the theatres they were approx 200 to 100 seat auditoriums and I would guess that the room diminsions where about 50 X 60, 30 X 40.

Nice thing about this is not putting the drapes on the walls gives the local fire/building inspector one less thing to question, other than how well does your acoustic panel burn

I know one theatre I patroned had the entire wall covered with a foam covering on the wall simular to what you would find on a seat. No echo or reverberation in that theater.

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2003 04:53 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas Hauerslev:

Now is the time to show us a picture of the Imperial Totems !

p.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2003 05:10 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wall panels leave too much hard wall surface still exposed and make auditoriums more like 'echo chambers'.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-04-2003 07:40 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wall panels made of 1" rigid acoustic fiber glass is superior to just ecconopleat by itself
I personally have found little benifit from econopleat and the likes by itself unless fiberglass is installed behind it
The other option I like is the spray on K13

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2003 09:13 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Going back as far as the late 1920's early 1930's, several cinema auditoriums were constructed..or lined with a material called Acustone (I believe this is the correct spelling). The material looks like concrete block (or depending on how the interior designer used it) but was in fact acustic material. The Tucson Fox Theatre circa 1929 (Fox West Coast Theatres) used this.

Marc Jones
Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2003 12:39 AM      Profile for Marc Jones   Email Marc Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So what is K13 a urethane foam?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: