Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » McClurg Court Theatre (Chicago) closed

Author Topic: McClurg Court Theatre (Chicago) closed
Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 08-29-2003 12:45 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As has been expected for quite a while Loews Cineplex McClurg Court Theatre has closed its doors.

McClurg was built in the late 60's (early 70's?) as a single screener to showcase the big roadshow pictures, just as the roadshow era was ending. It's part of a complex including a Holiday Inn just north of the downtown loop and just off the north Michigan Avenue shopping area which became trendy in more recent years.

You entered McClurg at street level and after passing the ticket seller dropped down a flight to the concession & lobby area and entered the theatre via one of two curving light blocking hallways (no doors in those days). Once in you found yourself about 2/3 back in the house with sloping floor seating in front of you and behind you a tiered seating area (they didn't say stadium then) leading back up to street level, with a small vestibule area between the theatre top exits and the sidewalk. There were also connecting stairs from the lobby to this in-between area and I always liked coming up and entering the house from the top as it was quite impressive to go in that way.

This was originally an independent (the owner also had the north suburban Edens I believe) but was later taken over by Cineplex Odeon which turned the upper area into two small screens with a booth for the main screen in front of it. The big house remained a good place to see a film and was Cineplex's flagship house in the area. I think they did over $1 million with "Titanic." (35mm-only although the press preview was run 70mm DTS.)

McClurg was originally equipped with Cinemeccanica's. The big house had 35/70 X-L's after the remodelling and had DLP for SW Ep. II. Not sure what the last 70mm run there was but it could have been Vertigo.

The demise came after AMC's River East 21 opened across the street and Loews seemed to pretty much give up on booking big films into McClurg. Even films they had clearance on went to their nearby 600 N. Michigan Avenue multiplex rather than McClurg so it was only a matter of time.

There was talk a year or two ago about some operator wanting to make a dinner theatre out of the space but the news of its closing said nothing of this.

|  IP: Logged

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2003 07:54 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another one bites the dust.... So how many 70 houses are left in Chicago?

quote:
[McClurg Court] was originally an independent (the owner also had the north suburban Edens I believe)
Lubliner & Sterns?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-30-2003 01:37 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a shame about McClurg Court closing. I was never able to visit the place, but Roger Ebert has mentioned the place in some of his reviews. I imagine it had to be a fine theater. Film fans in Chicagoland must be disgruntled in the same way as those in Dallas when Northpark 1-2 closed.

The single screener palace could make a comeback if things like large format feature film prints from 5/70 to 15/70 could become more common. Digitized blowups to IMAX like "Matrix: Reloaded" or "Apollo 13" are not perfect. But they do show some of the far superior potential 70mm has on really large screens.

Unfortunately, with film release windows growing ever shorter (with the DVD hitting the street in as little as 3 or 4 months after theatrical release) chances of any kind of 70mm resurgence is slim. I think it pretty much rests on the shoulders of what IMAX is doing with its 35mm to 15/70 digital blowup process. Outside of IMAX and other 15/70 or 8/70 theaters, none of the exhibitors are putting things like 5/70 capable projectors in regular auditoriums. They just put in 35mm regardless of screen size.

I've been to a lot of new "megaplex" sites over the last couple years. Some have very nice decor (such as Cinemark's Carefree Circle 16+IMAX in Colorado Springs). But they still have a kind of cookie cutter feel to them. I could visit a complex north of Dallas that is a near carbon-copy of this theater. The single screener palaces seemed to have more personality to them, even when the decor was somewhat lacking. Northpark 1-2 in Dallas was kind of a plain looking theater. But when you walk into an auditorium like #1 and see the sheer size of it, you get a pretty good gut reaction to it. I haven't been to a single megaplex that has given me the same visceral thrill.

Edward Jurich
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2003 10:47 AM      Profile for Edward Jurich   Email Edward Jurich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw several movies in the 70's at the McClurg (I'm from Chicago originally). I used to work at CBS one block away. It was a great place to see even a 35 print. Another fun place was the Esquire when it was a single screen. [thumbsup]

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2003 11:41 AM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
McClurg Court was a nice theater, even though I never saw it before the two additional screens were added.

I saw Jurassic Park, Cliffhanger, Unforgiven, and a few others there, driving from Milwaukee in order to experience a theater that was more than just an average cookie-cutter megaplex.

Even the bathrooms in that place were a production, with the sweeping walkway and tile.

In regards to short theatrical runs, I think they make an even bigger case for large format (70mm, IMAX, etc.) releases. Studios and theaters want to get people in the door in those first couple of weeks, and the interest that can be spurred by a large format print can draw those that would otherwise wait for the DVD.

I often wait for the DVD instead of going to a cookie-cutter megaplex with high-priced concessions and variable presentations. Many people I know do the same.

Movie theaters should realize that they have two distinguising factors to their advantage:
1. Exclusivity of product
2. The ability to make going to a movie an event

#1 has become an increasingly short time period

#2 doesn't come into play if the theater does nothing to make the entire experience special. People will pay high prices if the experience makes it worth it. It's up to the theaters to deserve their money.

A big picture and big sound, backed up by a top-notch staff and engaging experience (interesting ambience, cleanliness, etc.), can make going to the movies an experience that can never be duplicated at home.

More than ever, I think the opportunity is ripe for large format and other things that make going to movies special.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-04-2003 12:56 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A big picture and big sound, backed up by a top-notch staff and engaging experience (interesting ambience, cleanliness, etc.), can make going to the movies an experience that can never be duplicated at home.

More than ever, I think the opportunity is ripe for large format and other things that make going to movies special.

Well said. [thumbsup]

In other words, "Film Done Right" and "Showmanship" are a winning combination.

Nathan Guerriero
Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2003 11:35 PM      Profile for Nathan Guerriero   Email Nathan Guerriero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
McClurg Court was both a wonderful and aweful theatre. I always regarded it as a premier place to see a film in Chicago, though in my personal opinion it became a dump after the opening of the River East 21. Presentation went down the toilet and the rest of the facility just kind of fell apart. I remember a few years back when I managed at the 600 N. Michigan theatre (several blocks west of McClurg) they were always talking about upgrading the bathroom facilities, etc. I doubt that could have saved the theatre, though.

The company I work for was in negotiations with Loews to purchase the salvagable equipment, seats, ect. from McClurg. I'm not sure how that turned out, though.

At any rate, it's sad to see a great theatre shut it's doors, and Chicago loses another 70 house. It will be missed. (at least by me)

As for remaining 70 houses in Chicago: We are 70mm-ready here at my theatre, the Biograph Theatre; the Music Box theatre recently added 70, Pipers Alley; the Esquire Theatre (they had recently, it may have since changed); a few of the suburbs theatres, perhaps.

Edward Jurich
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2003 09:16 AM      Profile for Edward Jurich   Email Edward Jurich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last time I was in the Biograpgh, back in the 70's, all the plaster had been removed from the auditorium walls leaving exposed brick walls. Have the walls been restored?

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2003 01:20 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the Music Box theatre recently added 70
Why? Are they planning a revival festival of 70mm films?

Nathan Guerriero
Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2003 06:24 PM      Profile for Nathan Guerriero   Email Nathan Guerriero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BIOGRAPH: All platsterwork in the Biograph has been restored, and currently there is no exposed brick anywhere. The most recent face-lift at the Biograph occurred sometime in the 80s when Cineplex Odeon remodled the concession stands, and added their standard paint, tile, and carpet, schemes (the same carpet and paint, acutually, that graced the McClurg Ct. Theatre). No major changes have been made since then, other than upkeep. The Biograph pre-dates the movie palace era, so to the best of my knowledge there was never really anything "fancy" in the way of decor here.

MUSIC BOX: They swapped out their projectors for a pair of JJs, oh, about a year and a half ago. The showed 2001, Lawrence of Arabia, and Patton spread out over a year. The presentation there was just short of unwatchable, and the films got beat to hell. I haven't seen anything on any of their recent schedules about any 70mm films, but that doesn't mean there won't be any in the future.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 09-11-2003 09:30 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Biograph must have one of the flattest floors (for a slope floor theatre) around. Not an ideal viewing situation.

Nathan Guerriero
Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2003 10:56 PM      Profile for Nathan Guerriero   Email Nathan Guerriero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey now, I freely admit a personal bias, but I actually think the Biograph main theatre is a pretty damn good place to see a film. It's a big room (big by current standards, 629) with a fairly flat floor, but I think that the sight lines are pretty good even with the flat floor. The picture is great (courtesy Mr. James Bond of Full Aperture Systems) and the sound is excellent as well (courtesy Mr. Justin Dennis of Kinora Audio/Visual).

I honestly would say that it is as good as most of the other screens in the city. (never make bold statements, i know...)

Edward Jurich
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2003 08:56 PM      Profile for Edward Jurich   Email Edward Jurich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't it kind of dangerous going to the Biograph, I heard some guy got shot out in front after seeing a movie there [Big Grin]
I don't remember the floor being all that flat or field of vision bad (25 years ago), what I remember the most back then was really bad sound. The concession stand was like an old time candy store then too.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: