Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Brother Bear opening on a Sat. - WTF? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Brother Bear opening on a Sat. - WTF?
Nicholas Roznovsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2003 10:25 PM      Profile for Nicholas Roznovsky   Author's Homepage   Email Nicholas Roznovsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, okay, I know that Disney doesn't feel the need to ever make sense. In fact, they usually go out of their way to wield their power just for the sake of doing so and making things difficult for everyone else. Having said that, I STILL don't understand this one:

"Brother Bear" (after a brief LA/NY limited run) expands to nationwide release on Saturday , November 1st.

Why? Why? Why? [Mad]

I can understand not wanting to open a film on Halloween, but opening a film on a Saturday doesn't seem to be the best solution to me. Open it on Oct. 24th or Nov. 7th. Neither one of those dates seem to have anything which would compete for the kiddie audiences.

All they're really doing is cutting a day's box office off the opening weekend (okay so it's Halloween, but people would still show up for the film) and creating more work for just about everybody in the film industry. Marketing-wise, I don't see why Nov. 1 is so much more attractive than Oct. 31. Is Disney afraid that if the film opens on Halloween that no one will remember it the next day? Does opening the film on a Saturday somehow help its marketability? Is it just a lot of crap to put up with for another "Treasure Planet" box office return?

Of course, it gets better! This would be annoying enough in and of itself, but this also happens to be the week where "The Matrix Revolutions" pops up on a Wednesday!

So, if you plan on playing the rerelease of "Alien" (10/31), "Brother Bear" (11/1), "The Matrix Revolutions" (11/5), and New Line's "Elf" (11/7), that means you'll have four schedule changes in eight days!

I enjoy staying busy and changing things up now and then, but I'm not a big fan of this or any other film opening on a Saturday. Bah humbug! [evil]

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-19-2003 12:10 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't a clue, but I love the end of the trailer with the two moose. [Big Grin]

FWIW, I think this movie is going to erase the memory of Treasure Planet.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2003 12:25 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So, if you plan on playing the rerelease of "Alien" (10/31), "Brother Bear" (11/1), "The Matrix Revolutions" (11/5), and New Line's "Elf" (11/7), that means you'll have four schedule changes in eight days!
Alien?

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2003 01:32 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one who thinks that "Koda" (the name of the younger bear) would be a better name than "Brother Bear"? This movie does not look very good to me at all. Soon to be yet another nail in Disney's coffin at least as far as animation goes.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-19-2003 01:59 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael B: Yes, "Alien" is getting a "director's cut" re-release on Oct. 31.

Michael G: Actually the Disney marketing people wanted to just call it "Bears."

What is this thread, a meeting of the Mikes?? [Cool]

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 08-19-2003 02:36 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mikes!

The animation & music seem like top shelf work. Its the story I'm concerned about. IMHO, it looks far better than "Treasure Plannet" or the slew of other recent Disney films (exceptions being anything from Pixar, & Lilo and Stitch)

I loved the soundtrack Phil Colins did for Tarzan. I can't wait to hear this one.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2003 04:12 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am actually looking forward to the Alien release. I really hope that they make good use of the surrounds. If they do it right, they can make it feel really creapy even for those of us who have seen it a hundred times.

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2003 04:39 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Appears to be another Disney dud. They've lost touch with reality when it comes to their animated films of late.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2003 05:34 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I can understand not wanting to open a film on Halloween, but opening a film on a Saturday doesn't seem to be the best solution to me. Open it on Oct. 24th or Nov. 7th. Neither one of those dates seem to have anything which would compete for the kiddie audiences.
After Brother Bear comes out you'll have family fare back-to-back-to-back: Elf, Looney Tunes, The Cat in the Hat.

In NYC an arthouse picture will start its regular run on a Saturday if it has its premiere at the New York Film Festival. That's how the UA Union Square booked Dancer in the Dark.

Dan Harris
Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2003 06:24 PM      Profile for Dan Harris   Email Dan Harris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael B

"Alien" is being shown digitally at Odeon Leicester Square at some point over the coming month, and will also be showing in the UK from the end of October.

Dan

Nicholas Roznovsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2003 07:48 PM      Profile for Nicholas Roznovsky   Author's Homepage   Email Nicholas Roznovsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
After Brother Bear comes out you'll have family fare back-to-back-to-back: Elf, Looney Tunes, The Cat in the Hat.
I don't think "Elf" poses much of a problem, or at least it shouldn't. Parents are still more than happy to dump their kids off for an hour and a half as long as Disney slaps their name on it.

Even if they don't want to split opening box with "Elf", why not release this bad boy on Oct. 24th? By releasing at the beginning of number, they've already raised the white flag for Thanskgiving weekend.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2003 12:48 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our newspaper, The Press Democrat, is very inflexible when it comes to movie reviews. Movie Reviews run on Friday no matter when the film opens. We've told this to distributors when they want to open films on Wednesday. About half the time, they give up, unless it's a national campaign. Opening a film on Saturday would guarantee that it wouldn't be reviewed till the following Friday, by which time the film will have died.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-20-2003 01:04 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shouldn`t the plural of moose be meese?

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2003 04:20 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just found out that Brother Bear will open 10/31 in NYC/LA and 11/1 nationwide.

Nicholas: Disney will open The Haunted Mansion for Thanksgiving.

Kevin Wale
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2003 05:50 PM      Profile for Kevin Wale   Email Kevin Wale   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alien will be a limited release. [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

I can't understand that.

Please, someone tell me that they have heard a last minute change that has been made and that they decided to go wide! [Frown]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: