Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Movie Credit Roll (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Movie Credit Roll
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-10-2003 01:04 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
30 years ago, "The End" was the end. In some of today's movies, "The End" occurs almost 10 minutes later after the "The Pre End." I just noticed that AGAIN - in Pirates of the Caribbean.

I suppose that, of course, no little fishies were harmed in filming, commodes by Kohler, flush valves by Regal, toilet paper by Kimberly-Clark, etc. etc. etc.

But I still show the credits in case some dilrod wants to know who supplied the toilets. [Big Grin]

Yes, I am a little facetious about this, but Jeeze.... [Eek!]

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 08-10-2003 02:31 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
It used to be that all the credits were at the beginning of the film and the only thing after "THE END" was another cast call, but only if the director felt the performances were worthy of the additional credit.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 08-10-2003 05:27 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disney's end credits were notoriously fast... THE END!

You barely had time to get the curtains closed on some of their pictures! In later years, Mel Brooks did the same stunt with "Blazing Saddles". I think the end roll on that picture was about 13 seconds flat!

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 08-10-2003 10:25 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jack, remember on the first screening of those Disney pictures, and you were on the last reel waiting to changeover, wondering if it was indeed the end of the movie and you weren't missing a reel?!

[Eek!]

Paul "standby chargehand painter" always gets me. They credit someone who wasn't even working! Credits have long gotten out of hand (remember the first Superman movie, the entire last reel was credits - and "Rock-A-Doodle" had a reel change IN the credits!) I wish they would go back to what they used to do: major creative credited at the beginning, cast again at the end, OVER! That would also thwart television's annoying practice of squishing the credits into the side of the screen and running them at 10x speed (what's the idea behind that - no one can even hope to read them, so why bother?).

Who the caterer was, who drove the portable dressing rooms, or who coiled up the generator cables makes no difference to the creation of the movie.

Steve Anderson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2003 11:03 AM      Profile for Steve Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed one theater here, clipped the "pirates" credits just after the main production credits. Did a pretty good job...right on a music beat. I guess they had to get that monkey on screen quicker.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-10-2003 12:06 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If i went inot a theatre and watched a show and the credits were cut or not shown there would be one fast call to the distributor

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 08-10-2003 02:32 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am thankful to those that run all of the credits, for I am one of those "dilrods" Paul mentioned. [Big Grin] If I'm staying through the credits, it's not so much that I want to see who the clapper loader was. It's usually more about wanting to hear all of the music play out.

Showing the entire film as it's makers intended is as much a professional courtesy as it is a requirement. Theater management and staff that clip off or don't show all the credits and play all of the music, or who try to shoo us dilrods out--should be taken out back and switched, and not by an electrician! Or maybe hooked up to a xenon power supply with the ignitor set to auto-strike... [evil]

Edward Jurich
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2003 03:24 PM      Profile for Edward Jurich   Email Edward Jurich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't they just put all those misc credits on the one sheet and save the cost of a 10 minute reel.
Shortest ending I ever came across was "North by Northwest" and I really wondered if the end of the reel was missing as the film got closer to the hub before Hitchcock wrapped it up.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 08-10-2003 06:03 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Jack, remember on the first screening of those Disney pictures, and you were on the last reel waiting to changeover, wondering if it was indeed the end of the movie and you weren't missing a reel?!
Ummmmmmmmmm..... yah.

Reminds me of one of my less memorable moments in the booth. We were running one of those shows, I was in college, thinking about classes, doing homework during my shift... probably not focused on "da job"... definitely burning the candle from both ends. Somehow, I missed the bell & looked up just in time to see the screen go dark.

So.... I brought up the lights, pulled the curtain, turned off the sound, turned on the cleaning lights & headed out of the booth & down the stairs.

The manager met me in the lobby and said something like, "Isn't it a bit early for this show to be out?". I said "well, it is". He pointed out that we had started on time, so it was curious that this particular show had ended earlier than all the others.

So.... back up the stairs, into the booth... guess what? There's a full reel of film in the other projector [Eek!] [Mad] [Eek!]

Guess I was lucky it was such a slow night. I heard about that one for MONTHS, and became quite popular with those late shift managers who had been looking for their own "get out early" tactics.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-10-2003 06:31 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I liked about the drive-in theatres. When we got fogged out to the point where all is visable is a cone of light shooting out of the projection window, we can leave a reel out or make a couple of early changeovers and nobody would know the difference. Usually all the cars found their way out and gone before the movie was over anyway.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 08-10-2003 07:01 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When we got fogged out... we can leave a reel out or make a couple of early changeovers and nobody would know the difference
We'd never get to that point, Paul. At the first hint of the stuff I get people complaining about headaches, nausia, acid indigestion and other miscellaneous burning sensations!

Ron Keillor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2003 09:41 PM      Profile for Ron Keillor   Email Ron Keillor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What patrons who sit through credits usually want to know is:
a location or
song details,
or if they're professionals, who was the caterer - the sign of a good shoot. Locally, we have a lot of interest also in the special effects crews. So end credit visibility is a must.
VOLCANO (or the other one) had a really long set of end credits; we could rid the auditorium of the stragglers by telling them the location was Wallace, Idaho, and they left happy.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-10-2003 09:44 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well we supplie dailies projection to some films and I for one want to see the credit up there that was in the agreement [Smile]

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-10-2003 11:20 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aother reason why I like to remain for the credits beside knowing the location of principle photography and other technical matters is to listen to the music score. Many times, the best music is played during the end credits. One of my all time favorite is by John Conte and the end music he wrote for "THE RIGHT STUFF". Beside his own style, he very cleverly makes his music sound like a passage from Holst's "THE PLANETS" and the Polonaise from Tchaikovsky's opera "EUGENE ONEGIN.

Many Academy Award winning songs are also played only during the end credits.

-Claude

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 08-11-2003 12:02 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As opposed to Bill Williams... [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: