Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Cretors 32oz. Diplomat Popper (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Cretors 32oz. Diplomat Popper
Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2003 06:01 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I lean towards Cretors poppers... So this is my question:
 -

Say a popper like this, 3' 32oz., Neon header, automatic oil pump, logic option, etc... What kind of electrical outlet would it use? Would it be a dryer-type outlet, or just a regular electrical outlet that a computer or TV would plug into?

Here are the electrical specifications:
120/208-240V/60HZ and 230/380V/50HZ; 5100 watts.

You can find more info at:
Cretors Website

|  IP: Logged

Chris Markiewicz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2003 06:58 PM      Profile for Chris Markiewicz   Email Chris Markiewicz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
120/208V is 3-phase 4 wire (3 hots & neutral plus ground); 120/240V is single-phase 3 wire (2 hots & neutral plus ground). 5100 watts, a dryer circuit (240V, 50 amp) will work, definitely NOT a household circuit.

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2003 07:08 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks!

So, do you mean that I would need a dryer outlet, as in the actual outlet on the wall that the dryer plugs into?

Chris Markiewicz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2003 07:24 PM      Profile for Chris Markiewicz   Email Chris Markiewicz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on your electrical service, you would need either a 120/240VAC single phase circuit or a 120/208VAC three phase circuit installed; check with Cretors to verify the amperage required. The 120/240V is similar to a dryer or electric range service; your local electrical code would determine the specifics as far as connectors etc.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-09-2003 07:35 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our machine is almost exactly like the one pictured...ours is around 5 years old. It is a great machine. Never a problem.

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2003 08:00 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I recall properly, these use a 4 conductor, twist lock type receptical. When ordering from Ceators there may be different receptical options, something worth checking into.

As always have a licenced electrician wire the wall socket.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-09-2003 08:58 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,

Your description of a 4-wire circuit contained 5-wires!

A 120/208-240 would most likely be a 4-wire circuit that has two-hots, a neutral and ground. This way, without an internal 208 to 120 transformer, one can drive both 208-240 circuits (like heating elements) as well as 120 items (light light bulbs, motors...etc) since the Neutral is there. The ground should go without saying.

Steve

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-10-2003 12:50 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I recall correctly, I think those kettles have an option of 208 volts for 3 phase or 240 volts for single phase. Running the 240 volt elements will work if you have it connected to 3 phase, but it would be a little slower in coming up to temperature.

Seems to me I ran into this at one time......

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2003 01:42 AM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe our Hollywood 48 (an older version of the same basic popper) runs on 240 Single Phase with the twistlock connector. It has two fuses inside, one for the lighting circuit and another for the heating element. The breaker on the panel just takes up two spaces instead of one.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 08-10-2003 05:24 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have that exact model. It comes with the twist-lock plug...

As mentioned earlier, it is not household computer power. It actually is more like a dryer or hot water heater, in that it's a 220-240 volt circuit and will need its own breaker.

The current 32 oz diplomat models are 220/240 volt. Earlier versions had to have the actual voltage specified.

Cretors is a good brand. I recently replaced the kettle and pedestal on my '78 vintage President. After all those years, the only modification I had to make to the cabinet was to drill out the oil tube hole a bit (they went to a larger guage tube. All of the mounting bolts matched perfectly, and I had the new setup online within about 4 hours. We've since converted the old oil can to the current bag-in-box system.

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2003 08:03 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for helping me out here! I really appreciate it!

So, I'm guessing this is the plug you mean:
 -

My dream popper is shown here:
 -
It has the header, a dual 35lb. auto BIB pump, and its Cretors, etc. I would also like it with the neon header "POPCORN".

This neon header (at the big multiplexes here- FAMOUS PLAYERS), has the "POP" in red, flashing, and the "CORN" is white, staying on steady. It flashes on for about 3 seconds and off for about 2 seconds. Have any of you seen this?

Does anyone have a picture of the neon popper? Can anyone please get a picture of this neon popper?

Thank-you very much! (And for the replies too!)

Andrew

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 08-11-2003 12:04 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's not the plug Andrew. Think bigger, way bigger.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-11-2003 12:41 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Much bigger, Indeed.

The one shown looks like a 15-amp plug. The popper is a power hog. Check the specs on the popper under full load, see how big a breaker is needed, and act accordingly on the plug size.

I highly recommend you get a licensed electrician to do the installation. You are not playing with a light bulb circuit by any means.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2003 10:20 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a Gold Medal 32oz. popper, very similar to what you've got pictured. It's on a stainless steel base, with the bag-in-the-box oil pump system and heaters, and the neon header across the top. I think ours is a Gold Meal 2011ENB.

Ours is wired with 3 #10 (2 hots + 1 neutral) + 1 #10 ground, (120/208v 3 phase). Gold Medal supplied the receptacle with the machine, so I'd assume Cretors would too.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 08-11-2003 11:29 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew,
The Cretors plug is along that design, but the scale is different. Also, there are 4 blades on the plug, instead of the 3 your picture shows.

In any case, there's nothing that says you have to use the plug that comes with the popper. It can be removed from the wire and replaced with any plug of appropriate capacity.

As said earlier, this is a job for someone with experience in the matter. As Paul says, poppers use a lot of juice. Improper installation or using parts not rated for the application can set up a real fire hazard.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: