Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Pepsi Vanilla, Diet Pepsi Vanilla Launch This Weekend (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Pepsi Vanilla, Diet Pepsi Vanilla Launch This Weekend
Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2003 12:14 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://money.cnn.com/2003/08/07/news/companies/pepsi_vanilla/index.htm

Joy of (Vanilla) Pepsi?

Coke holds the bragging rights, but Pepsi's upping the ante in the cola war with new Pepsi Vanilla.
August 8, 2003: 11:17 AM EDT
By Parija Bhatnagar, CNN/Money Staff Writer

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - To some it's just "plain vanilla." But Coca-Cola and Pepsi see it a little differently, more like a multimillion-dollar flavor battle that's about to get tastier.

New York-based PepsiCo (PEP: Research, Estimates), the No. 2 soft-drink maker behind leader Coca-Cola (KO: Research, Estimates), is launching Pepsi Vanilla and its diet version in stores across the country this weekend.

In this instance, industry watchers say Pepsi has its work cut out for the new brand.

Coke came out with Vanilla Coke in May 2002 and it was a resounding success, selling 90 million cases, according to trade publication Beverage Digest.

In fact, Coke's flavored soft drink has been purchased by about 29 percent of U.S. households, the strongest one-year trial rate among recent carbonated soft drink introductions, according to market research firm AC Nielsen.

Pepsi Vanilla and Diet Pepsi Vanilla debut Saturday. (Courtesy:PepsiCo.)
"The vanilla colas are an important line extension for both companies, and Pepsi has the distribution capabilities to support a new brand" said Todd Stender, analyst with Crowell, Weedon & Co.

"There's definitely room for Pepsi in the vanilla sub-segment, even if Pepsi Vanilla may not be as good as Vanilla Coke," Stender added.

Pepsi begs to differ.

"We're doing vanilla our way," said Dave DeCecco, spokesman for PepsiCo North America. "If consumers want Pepsi Vanilla, they can have it now, and we want a share of the market."

And DeCecco insists Pepsi Vanilla's taste will be unique.

"In our market research, consumers told us that they wanted a vanilla soda that was lighter and smoother that what is currently on the market," DeCecco said.

No matter how hot the battle gets between the two arch rivals, Coke won't be sweating it too much.

Atlanta-based Coca-Cola, the world's largest beverage maker, is still comfortably perched in its slot as the U.S. market leader.

In fact, the company increased its market share of the $63 billion U.S. soft-drinks market by 0.6 percentage point to 44.3 percent in 2002, according to Beverage Digest. Meanwhile, PepsiCo saw its market share dip by 0.2 percentage point to 31.4 percent.

Industry analysts credit Vanilla Coke's launch last year as a huge success for Coke, similar to Pepsi's breakthrough in 2001 with Mountain Dew Code Red, a cherry-flavored variation of the drink.

"We're a little surprised that Pepsi decided to enter the vanilla segment," said Mart Martin, spokesman for Coca-Cola. "When we came out with Vanilla Coke, Pepsi originally said the idea sounded 'a bit vanilla.' But, whatever."

Pepsi, Coke both losing their fizz
According to Beverage Digest editor John Sicher, Coke and Pepsi can keep taking potshots at each other, but that won't detract from the real concern: The soft-drinks market is slowing down.

"Soft-drinks sales have declined from annual rates of growth of 3 percent in the 1990s to less than 1 percent," said Sicher. "That has largely to do with the growth of bottled water, which is growing at 26 percent a year."

Vanilla Coke a strong favorite with consumers. (Courtesy: Coca-Cola)
For the second quarter, Coke's U.S. volume grew 3 percent, driven by strong sales for Vanilla Coke, Diet Vanilla Coke and Sprite, Coke said in its earnings report.

Pepsi's North America volume grew 4 percent for the quarter, led by a better performance from its Mountain Dew and Diet Pepsi brands, although its trademark Pepsi brand disappointed.

Said Sicher, "At this juncture, innovation is critical, and it needs to include new beverages, new packaging and new marketing. Vanilla Coke added incremental volume for Coke, and I think it will do the same for Pepsi. Pepsi is a huge brand name, and a new product will generate a lot of interest."

The Pepsi Vanilla ad campaign is coming, and DeCecco said consumers should watch out. "The ads kick off mid-August, and they will reflect the fact that Pepsi Vanilla is fun."

DeCesso isn't saying whether the company will hire a new pop star as spokesperson for the brand, but it's a possibility. "I can't comment on that. You'll just have to wait." he said.

Previous stars who've appeared in Pepsi ads include singers Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder and Britney Spears. Pepsi last year replaced Spears with Beyonce Knowles, lead singer of pop group Destiny's Child, as its latest celebrity endorser.

-What do you guys think?

Thanks, Andrew

|  IP: Logged

John Spooner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2003 01:52 PM      Profile for John Spooner   Email John Spooner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Andrew.
Typical of multi-billion dollar corporations.
We also have vanilla coke in Oz, the taste is interesting.
As a matter of interest, how many people actually read the ingredients in Coke? One of them is phosphoric acid, a delightful substance used commercially as a rust remover/converter.
At least all the coke drinkers will have rust free digestive systems!
Are you planning on opening your own cinema? Maybe you could let me know the results so far and post progress reports.
Best regards from down under. John Spooner.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2003 02:19 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a blind taste test how many people can tell the difference between Coke and Pepsi?

In a blind taste test how may people will be able to taste the difference between Vanilla Coke and Vanilla Pepsi.

pfff it's all the same. [Smile]

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2003 02:20 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At our theatre we offer all the Torani syrups so you can have your Coke anyway you want it. Lemon/Amaretto anyone? [puke]

I note that Cherry runs out the fastest.

Our popular flavors are:

Cherry
Strawberry
Raspberry
Vanilla
Almond

Our less popular flavors: less popular as in, why the hell do we have these flavors anyway?

Irish Cream
Caramel
Amaretto
Chocolate Mint
Banana
Hazelnut

What I wouldn’t like to do is have to order all kinds of different bag in the box flavors of sodas and have them sit around forever.

“Hi, welcome to the Rialto Cinemas Lakeside. Would you like a Vanilla Coke, Tab, Sprite Remix, Pibb Extra, Nestea COOL, Nestea, Minute Made Soda, Minute Made Punch, Minute Made Lemonade, Mello Yellow, Mad River, Hi-C, Seagram’s Ginger Ale (Sadly not offered in a bag in box, I checked.), Fruitopia, Fresca, Fanta, Diet Vanilla Coke, Diet Sprite, Diet Coke with Lemon, Diet Cherry Coke, Diet Barq’s, Barq’s Root Beer, Dasani Nutriwater, Cherry Coke, Caffeine-Free Diet Coke, Sprite, Diet Coke, Caffeine-Free Diet Coke Classic or just a Coca-Cola?”

Guest: “Uh, could you repeat all that again?”
[Roll Eyes]

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2003 02:23 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if Beef Coke or Chicken Coke would sell well? [Wink]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-08-2003 03:04 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In a blind taste test how many people can tell the difference between Coke and Pepsi?

pfff it's all the same.

Bite your tongue! You must not have functioning tastebuds if you don't notice the huge difference between Coke and Pepsi. Pepsi is just [puke]

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 08-08-2003 03:06 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Coke and Pepsi are not the same!! [Smile] I bet I could guess them correctly 100 times out of 100 tries.

Regular Pepsi: Bad
Regular (Classic) Coke: Good

Diet Pepsi: Good
Diet Coke: Undrinkable

[Big Grin]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-08-2003 04:32 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Huge difference between Coke and Pepsi. Pepsi is incredibly sweet... way too sweet. Both Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi are alright... there are still differences though, with diet Pepsi being sweeter.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-08-2003 04:37 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's funny the way they can't come up with "new" kinds of pop anymore....they just call it "_____ Coke" or "Pepsi ____".

I don't even know how many kinds of Coke there are anymore.

By the way, you guys are nuts...Pepsi is better. (I figured SOMEBODY had to stand up for Pepsi at some point!) [Big Grin]

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2003 04:55 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't even know how many kinds of Coke there are anymore.
Mike, the answer is 9.

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2003 06:23 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all I just like to say Welcome Back Andrew. This is intresting news as I tendto like Pepsi more than Coke. I could not stand the Vanilla Coke. Wonder how bad the Pepsi version will be. I much prefer the Wild Cherry Pepsi over the Cherry Coke. The R/C Cola Cherry is the best tasting Cherry flavored drink I have had IMHO. And Brad is right there is a very huge difference between the taste of Pepsi and Coke.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2003 08:27 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome back Andrew.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 08-08-2003 10:38 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not only does Coke taste better than Pepsi, it is simply the correct thing to drink.

Pepsi Cola is simply "wrong".

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2003 10:55 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I much prefer Pepsi [Razz] !!

Pepsi tastes better, they do Cherry cola better and they have a much wider selection (Dr. Pepper, Pepsi Blue)...

However, I found Pepsi Blue only tolerable!

I can't wait for this to crawl to Canada!

Any of you ever tried Jolt? [Big Grin]

Richard C. Wolfe
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2003 11:44 PM      Profile for Richard C. Wolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Richard C. Wolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still prefer Moxie.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: