Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Credit and Debit cards (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Credit and Debit cards
Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2003 02:17 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there an advantage to equipping the theatre to take credit and debit cards?

Mine will be a small (100 seat) rural operation that caters to the tourist trade in the summer. In fact, I will probably run it as a private "film club". It will be on the second floor (elevator equipped) and there is an ATM machine on the first floor.

|  IP: Logged

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2003 03:00 PM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
since that atm will probably charge most customers who use it, and tourists like to hold on to their cash, it would probably be a good idea. our credit card machine does take significantly longer (3-4x) than a cash transaction. i'm sure more expensive systems are faster. but if you only have 100 seats i wouldn't worry too much about that.

carl

Steve Anderson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2003 04:16 PM      Profile for Steve Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just added credit card to our ticketing system ( RTS )
Our transactions run very smooth and quick.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2003 04:49 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert.. People WILL spend more in your concessions area if they can use a credit or debit card. If they have cash, they'll only spend what they have with them.. if you give them the option of plastic.... they'll buy whatever they want.

We are considering a "Speedpass" type setup at our theatre for concessions only. No cards, no receipts to sign, no PIN numbers, just wave the wand and the transaction is done.

It's a little costly, but might be worth looking into.

Ron Keillor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2003 06:52 PM      Profile for Ron Keillor   Email Ron Keillor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tourists don't always like to carry a lot of cash - card service would be a convenience for them, and increase impulse spending. But since fraud would be harder to trace with an out-of-town user, follow all the rules re checking ID, getting signatures, and respecting transaction limits.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2003 02:10 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In your situation accepting plastic sounds like the right thing to do; however, don't forget about those nasty transaction fees. You have to figure that mininum you will be charged 3% on every sale made with plastic-probably more since you are a smaller operation and don't have the power of the 'big guys.'

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 08-08-2003 02:56 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're also using the RTS system, with credit card processing and online ticketing. Compared to the old card printers (that used phone lines), the RTS system is lightning fast. On average, it takes about 3 to 5 seconds to validate a sale. the receipts print out of the same printer that does your tickets, and on transactions under $35, you don't need to get a customer signature. This setup is just about as fast as a cash transaction. We're doing 20%+ of our overall business with it now.

Barry is right about the customer's spending habits. they will buy a lot more if they can use their card.... something about not actually seeing the cash coming out of the wallet, maybe... but it really works out that way.

On transaction fees: Yes, there are transaction fees, "discount" percentages, batch and statement processing fees. However, we're paying far less in fees than we were for the check guarantee setup we used to use...

We've been taking cards for the past 6 years. We no longer accept checks, period. Most anyone who has a checking account can get a debit card with a Visa or Mastercard logo on it.. which processes at the boxoffice or concession counter just like a credit card. No PINs are required.

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2003 04:18 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldnt encouraging use of credit cards create less worry about cash in the box office registers giving a peace of mind that would make the 3% fee worth it? At some point in the future, you probably will have a much larger percentage of the customers using credit cards. Who know, there may come a time where most customers use the kiosks like they do at self serve gas stations.

And I never understood people who held up lines with those idiotic checkbooks. Get a freaking debit or credit card. How the hell is holding a checkbook in your hand going to make you feel more secure?

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2003 09:40 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You definately will want some time of dedicated connection if you can. Either internet or a frame relay to do your POS transactions. Frame relay would probably be cost prohibitive unless you were doing alot, and I mean alot, of transactions.

Internet would be easier probably and most clearing houses have some type of internet authorization, settlement.

We don't require customer signature for our transactions, although I think we are required, and the customers are ok with that. We occasionally do receive a dispute about charges but those are handled by corp.

Paul

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2003 10:33 AM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I personally don't go to theatres that don't accept Debit/Credit cards. I was floored one time when I went to an AMC theatre with only a ten on me, paid cash for my ticket, and then got to the popcorn counter and was told I couldn't buy anything. What a slap in the face almost. And I hated the movie now 'cause I didn't have any popcorn to enjoy. I'll never do that again!!

Not accepting credit/debit cards = lost sales!!!

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2003 10:35 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW: One 16-plex I monitor is doing roughly 20% of the total volume in plastic--that adds up to roughly $1.5 million per year. Now, you never know how much of that is convenience and how much of that volume wouldn't be there without the plastic, but why find out! At an $8.75 ticket you've got to figure that admission alone for a family of four is $35 and concessions could easily add another $25, so my guess is that many people really appreciate the option.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2003 03:36 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the advise guys. Sounds like plastic is a good idea. I have three local financial institutions. I'll check to see who will give me the best deal. I'll keep you posted on the project. We are several months away yet.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2003 04:57 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Costco seems to pitching their card services to the small business. It's funny though, they don't accept Visa and Master Card at the stores, just American Express and ATM.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2003 08:40 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The commission for ATM cards is considerably lower than credit cards, so it's not surprising that Costco would prefer them. Generally, Amex is the highest commission of the major credit cards, with Discover the lowest, but Costco obviously made a deal with Amex. For really small merchants the fee on cards can run as high as 5%, while most pay around 3%. Really high volume outlets negotiate lower fees.

R. Andrew Diercks
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2003 11:18 AM      Profile for R. Andrew Diercks   Email R. Andrew Diercks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too use the RTS system. We do not accept credit/debit right now. This thread is all good information. I don't know what we pay for check validation (we pay as a company), but it's worth looking at the difference in a 3% transaction fee. I would guess you have to slowly phase out checks since everyone is used to using them. I will say in my current location I have not received a bounced check yet, over 6 months. They were a lot more common in my previous locations. I also think as fast as connection speed is anymore, check writing probably takes longer.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: