Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » The homeless, are they in YOUR backyard? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: The homeless, are they in YOUR backyard?
Kristin Wahlund
Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2003 12:28 AM      Profile for Kristin Wahlund   Email Kristin Wahlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I can remember, the staff and I have always joked about a homeless man living in our compactor. It was funny, we said no to throw away your log-ins or he will know your name and such. And that was another reason why we couldn't go back there alone, ever. Well recently it came to my attention that there actually IS a homeless person living in our compactor area. Theres a futon matress, blanket and a soggy taco every once in a while from the taco bell in our parking lot. Now I talked to my GM about it and we went to check it out, and apparently only one person ever saw the guy and he was sleeping at the time. What should we do because obviously he isn't supposed to be there. But I still feel bad about him being "removed." It really mkes a lot of people uncomfortable to takeout the trash and well, what should we do?

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-05-2003 12:54 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Contact your local United Way or Goodwill. They should be able to help this man directly or contact others who can. Too often when someone sees a homeless person, they just call the cops and the cops just cart the guy off to the nearest homeless shelter -and that's only if the fellow is willing to go there. Most homeless people believe shelters are dangerous and are afraid they'll lose what little possessions they have left there.

Many homeless people need specialized care. A significant portion have various mental illnesses, all with different treatment requirements. The United Way funds many programs that can treat and house mental disabled homeless people and those with substance abuse problems. Others simply need to find someplace willing to take them in and give them a new start. Goodwill is great organization for doing that. The Goodwill store in my city employs a fairly large group of people who are learning valueable trades rather than living on the street.

As cold as it can get up there in Minnesota, I would not put off calling one of those organizations. The weather is the biggest threat to a homeless person. Hopefully they can help out this guy and give back some of his dignity.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2003 01:32 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also try the Salvation Army.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2003 08:22 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me personally? I would toss the mattress and blanket in the compactor and compact away.

You should also check under your screens before securing the building at night. They tend to be hibernating areas for the homeless.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2003 08:45 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We operate several shopping mall theaters, and anyone who's operated shopping malls in general knows they are a magnet for people with "unconventional" lifestyles. One particular mall had a full time customer who was apparently a disturbed Viet Nam vet in an electric wheelchair. One night we decided to have a private screening for a handfull of us, and this guy asked if he could come in. Knowing he was prone to fairly violent behavior we reluctantly said OK to avoid an argument. Everything was fine until he began openly masturbating halfway through the film. Although amusing initially, I finally got my radio and quietly called security. This joker led them on a 30 mph chase through the empty mall in his electric chair before they finally cornered him and we turned him over to the cops. Outcome--it was 6 months before we saw him again! I guess the VA hospital got tired of him and turned him lose again.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 08-05-2003 09:40 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An asst. manager of a Starbucks told me this. There was a homeless man that would come in every few days. He would sit outside for a few hours. The manager of the Starbuck had a meeting with the asst. manager on why the electric bill was shooting up in the last few months. It turned out that that homeless man was recharging his chair every few days at the outside table. I have seen that happen twice since I moved to NYC. Keep an eye on your electric outlets. [Eek!]

William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2003 10:11 AM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just go on top of the roof and throw used projection bulbs at the bum. [Big Grin]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-05-2003 10:13 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that a social services agency like the Salvation Army, Volunteers of America, Goodwill, Open Door Mission, etc. should be contacted to see if they can help the individual. If the person is threatening or violent, the police should be called.

Be careful. Recall that accused terror bomber Eric Rudolph was just captured on May 31 "dumpster diving" in Murphy, North Carolina:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,88259,00.html

Edward Jurich
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2003 11:03 AM      Profile for Edward Jurich   Email Edward Jurich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a problem cause by the demise of the all night movie theater. Back in Chicago, and I'm talking back to the 50's and 60's, there were a couple of all night movie houses. In fact they may have been open 24 hours if not just closed for a couple hours to clear the place out. Anyway, for .50 homeless people had a place to sleep for the night. The shows ran with brief intermissions and you could sit through as many shows as you liked back then. We need to bring back those good old days, who'll be the first to stay open all night [beer]

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 08-05-2003 11:18 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Los Angeles, up until the early 90's. They had three theatres that ran all night for $1.25- $1.50. The Cameo, Arcade and the Optic theatres would change programs on Wednesday, so you could see the old program of 4 features and then see the new set of 4 features for one price. During the 70's in Hollywood the Mann's Hollywood and the Pacific's Pix ran all night. But they only ran double-features.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 08-05-2003 12:53 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Re the electric wheelchair

How much does a charger for one of those draw? Seems a bit incredible that it would be noticable on the bill amidst the normal fluctuations caused by how many espressos and lattes made and weather variations changing the A/C draw.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2003 01:04 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Steve. It sound like one of those stories that you hear from someone who knows someone who was there. I am guessing that it has been exagrated a bit.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2003 02:07 PM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
why not make a deal with the dude to operate the compactor whenever necessary as "rent"? a resume-stuffer wouldn't hurt. generally a couple nights a week we get some campers outside the doors at night. we don't really have a problem with this, as long as they don't leave a mess and don't block all the doors (someone might be working late/early). sometimes the neighbors call the cops though. a few homeless people have befriended members of the staff and get favors like free coffee and popcorn and such. you have to watch out about breeding dependence though.

carl

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 08-05-2003 02:42 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best solution is to throw such a person into the compactor and select "paper thin/well done". Ensure that your property is not inviting to these bums. Harrass them, run them off, have repeat offenders arrested and make sure to press all possible charges. Do whatever it takes to pass and use any laws that will make it clear to even the most deranged homeless person that they are not welcome on your property or in your town. Follow that up by refusing to provide shelter facilities. Eventually these bums will get the hint and leave. Where they go is not your concern. Anywhere else will do.

That's what we do here in Sin City, and that's one of the reasons why we're listed as one of the best cities to live (by Money magazine), and also listed as one of the meanest cities for homeless people (by the National Coalition for the Homeless). Works for us! [evil]

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2003 03:37 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Homeless is a varied problem. For those who want and truly need help, there are several resources available.

But there are also many homeless that are just plain bum lazy. A good example is Tucson, AZ.

For several years, the panhandlers ruled the sreets. Some would hold up signs saying "will work for food". When offered work, many of these homeless would laugh! In fact, there was one very well known pan-handler who, after a days work of begging, was observed getting into a fairly new luxury car that was parked in a nearby lot!

There are several neighborhoods and art shopping districts in Tucson that the community and business owners have pourd tons of effort and $$ into revitalizing. And in come the homeless, filthy, obnixous and harass business owners and their customers. Although the City has done much to get them off the streets, organizations like the ACLU come to the homeless defense and argue their "rights" to camp out on sidewalks and block the enterances to businesses!

Furthermore, on many occasions, local business and the newsmedia and local government have held job fairs to help the homeless. How many homeless do you think made any attempt to take advantage of these community sponsored attempts at helping them [Confused] [Mad] !

And what really pisses me off is the fact that many homeless profess to be Vietnam Vets, when they were actually never in the US Armed Forces to begin with!

Also, I did volunteer at our local Community Food Bank. It was amazing to see just how many people in need were not at all grateful for what they were getting! Much of what I saw was people saying "you owe me", and being picky about the contents of their donated food!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: