Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Oddity in Marcus Ad

Author Topic: Oddity in Marcus Ad
Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2003 08:39 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strange little thing in the Marcus ad this week. It was there last weekend, also.

In addition to the regular Marcus show times ad, there is an additional ad for the KIDS RULE matinee program. At the bottom of this is a 1/4" box that has the Dolby Digital logo and the words, "See Tomb Raider: Cradle of Life in Dolby Digital. Tickets on sale now"

I'm guessing this is just to fill up the column inch, but Marcus has never even mentioned a specific digital system before, or ever highlighted a specific film like that.

There was some mention in the ad last week about finding the "lost" Marcus ad, but nothing this week.

Just curious.

|  IP: Logged

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2003 06:44 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I remember correctly, Dolby has some sort of tie-in with Tomb Raider. The logo was stamp on almost all the promo items we received from Paramount. More so than any other title I have seen before.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2003 10:39 AM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I recall correctly, Marcus did advertise individual sound formats at one time.

They had text DTS and DD indications, Eventually, they dropped the individual designations for generic "Digital Sound" designators instead. That was an unfortunate change, since their theaters had a really hard time playing a Dolby Digital print without drop-outs at least at every reel change.

In the data that we get from Marcus, they only have generic "Digital Sound" indicated, even though we can display all three major formats, plus the extra channel variants of each (EX, ES, SDDS-8).

Oddly enough, I just checked the Milwaukee newspaper ad from Sunday, and some of their theaters have DTS logos and one even has an SDDS text indicator. Most of the theaters have no indication of digital sound whatsoever. Go figure.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: